Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 01:38 AM

127 posts, read 134,795 times

Advertisements

Both the individualism of the "right", and the identity politics of the "left", indicate to me that Americans do not believe in the common good, or if they do, it is subordinated to their individual/tribal interests.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to have a functional country without a shared belief in the common good, and a consensus about what it should look like?

2. Does the sheer size of the United States make the common good an impossible task? Would breaking up the country help things?

Old 03-02-2019, 02:10 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I've long been a proponent of breaking up this country, at least into 4 parts, given California is the size of Germany and Texas is much bigger than France, and those countries stand alone. By splitting the country up we'd have 4 choices of government to choose from. It would also be more democratic rather than mobocratic. Otherwise, common good will never be achievable.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:17 AM

127 posts, read 134,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've long been a proponent of breaking up this country, at least into 4 parts, given California is the size of Germany and Texas is much bigger than France, and those countries stand alone. By splitting the country up we'd have 4 choices of government to choose from. It would also be more democratic rather than mobocratic. Otherwise, common good will never be achievable.
I tend to agree with you. Democracy on a scale of 300 million is frankly absurd. But how to accomplish this? Most Americans are still devoted to the ideal of "America", even if they don't really know what it stands for anymore. "Freedom" isn't enough, and there is no cultural cohesion sufficient to hold things together. But the ideal of America is hard to give up.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:04 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,987,907 times
Breaking up the country not an option. If anyone doesn't want to be an American they can move elsewhere, and if they are here illegally they should go back to their native country regardless, whether they've overstayed their visa or came here to "..take back the SW for Mexico!" as I've heard so many times before. That is part of the problem with having allowed tens of millions to come here illegally, their loyalty lies elsewhere than the United States of America.

'The Common Good' starts in each family and in each community. We need to get back to having both Mom & Dad in the household as a married couple, with them holding their children accountable for their actions and teaching them respect for adults, authority; and love for God, country and family. Just a good value system. And if you don't believe that makes a difference this video from C-span might change your mind if you are open-minded: https://www.c-span.org/video/?457839...enated-america

Another problem has been our lawmakers have discriminated against people from European countries from being allowed to immigrate, taking in instead people from countries that don't share our value system and believe in conquering territory. not accepting and assimilating into the community they are moving into. Extremely short-sighted of our leaders, some claim it's been done purposely to fragment our country to make us easier to rule over. Regardless of whether that was the purpose, that has been the outcome.

I do see dark days ahead for our country, unfortunately. Things have gotten so bizarre not only here but around the world. The worst I've seen in it in my lifetime.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
Both the individualism of the "right", and the identity politics of the "left", indicate to me that Americans do not believe in the common good, or if they do, it is subordinated to their individual/tribal interests.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to have a functional country without a shared belief in the common good, and a consensus about what it should look like?

2. Does the sheer size of the United States make the common good an impossible task? Would breaking up the country help things?
Do you have the same beliefs on most things in your own family. Do you have the same wants too? The common good has to be dictated because no 2 people think and feel alike.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:48 AM

50,852 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

Questions:

I think that part of the problem here is defining what "the common good" actually is. Let me give you a local example. There has been some controversy here in Colorado Springs about the local government giving a huge tax incentive for a big box retailer to come in. Some believe this is in the common good because it will bring jobs. Others of us believe this is not in the common good because it gives one retailer special benefits that were not given to other retailers.

As you point out in your question 1 -- the question is coming to a consensus.

The size of the country probably does make this more difficult. Breaking up the country? Only a fool would advocate doing this because we would then be no more powerful a force in the world than any of a dozen other countries.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:26 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,820,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If we eliminated the annexation of states rights and powers by the Federal government in the areas of health, education, and welfare we would have FIFTY different choices of government to live under!.

I am an unapologetic advocate of eliminating HUD, the FDA, the departments of Health, Education,and Welfare, among others and return those domains rightfully and fully back to the states where, according to our constitution, THEY RIGHTFULLY RESIDE!

Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
How about the opportunity to achieve success in life if you work hard and study hard?

That seems to be a common good available to virtually all Americans.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:50 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
America used to be the Great Mixing Pot of the world and it worked for the most part because people that immigrated here came to better themselves and become part of the American society. Today we have the internet which allows people to come from far away places and they can still watch sports from their home country and keep up with whats going on giving them little reason to integrate into the Mixing pot.

Perhaps we now make it to easy on people in that we have given them too many options?

Why should you work to learn English when you can just press 2 on the phone? Go to the hospital the court and many other places and you will be given a translator?

As for splitting America up that would be difficult to do. We have small states such as NY and MA where the Government is centered in one city yet as you move away from that place the people and the politics change and almost do a 180.

I think the problem with America today is that the great mixing pot has been split up into different pots where they all sit on burners bubbling away and on the verge of boiling over. The thing is today it is the Left wing media that is stirring the pot and causing problems between the people by supplying the heat.

How do we fix that short of turning off the stove?

It is impossible to have a united consensus when we are so divided.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that part of the problem here is defining what "the common good" actually is. Let me give you a local example. There has been some controversy here in Colorado Springs about the local government giving a huge tax incentive for a big box retailer to come in. Some believe this is in the common good because it will bring jobs. Others of us believe this is not in the common good because it gives one retailer special benefits that were not given to other retailers.

As you point out in your question 1 -- the question is coming to a consensus.

The size of the country probably does make this more difficult. Breaking up the country? Only a fool would advocate doing this because we would then be no more powerful a force in the world than any of a dozen other countries.
That would be good thing imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates