Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:10 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times

Advertisements

I think society expects these people to fit in way too hard, instead of helping them their communication skills.

I think these people are ultimately outsiders, we have different mindsets when compared to the rest of society...

Now I am not saying we should too lenient to the point where we even want to justify murder, but let's try to remember it wasn't the person's intended purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So no comment on this???
okay. Your topic statement doesn't make any sense.
The rest seems to go off on it's own too.

Did you have some point?

Old 09-29-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
okay. Your topic statement doesn't make any sense.
The rest seems to go off on it's own too.

Did you have some point?
How does it not make sense

I even explain why people with these disabilities struggle to fit into society

These people don't have the exact same communication skills and so because I imagine of irritation, people get overly harsh on them.

My mention about justifying murder has to do if let's say someone with mental illness goes on a rampage or something...

You would be surprised to even know I am one of these.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:23 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
How does it not make sense

I even explain why people with these disabilities struggle to fit into society

These people don't have the exact same communication skills and so because I imagine of irritation, people get overly harsh on them.

My mention about justifying murder has to do if let's say someone with mental illness goes on a rampage or something...

You would be surprised to even know I am one of these.
The problem is that your question is much too broad and vague to answer. There are all sorts of learning disabilities as well as degrees of each. What might be appropriate for one person's situation won't be for another. When you say "hard" what do you mean? There are a million aspects to daily living (and socially acceptable behavior expected from these disabled citizens) that could come into play. If you meant should society be more lenient to a murderer who has a learning disability...well that's one specific situation. If you meant should society be more lenient to an embezzler who has happens to suffer a form of dyslexia that's another one entirely.

Just another one of the unusually vague questions you seem to ask here OP.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The problem is that your question is much too broad and vague to answer. There are all sorts of learning disabilities as well as degrees of each. What might be appropriate for one person's situation won't be for another. When you say "hard" what do you mean? There are a million aspects to daily living (and socially acceptable behavior expected from these disabled citizens) that could come into play. If you meant should society be more lenient to a murderer who has a learning disability...well that's one specific situation. If you meant should society be more lenient to an embezzler who has happens to suffer a form of dyslexia that's another one entirely.

Just another one of the unusually vague questions you seem to ask here OP.
Ok, how bout being more lenient who can't seem to communicate in a proper way? No?

And I get there are tons of disabilities, so generealziing a question like this one isn't too easy.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
And I get there are tons of disabilities, so generealziing a question like this one isn't too easy.
Then don't generalize. Ask about a specific experience or example and then expand the discussion from there.
As regards the US... people with disabilities, on the whole, are treated generously.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then don't generalize. Ask about a specific experience or example and then expand the discussion from there.
As regards the US... people with disabilities, on the whole, are treated generously.
Maybe, but some of us struggle to communicate with the world big time, those that do, anyway to help them out without being a little to expectant? Perhaps maybe teaching them social cues could help?

Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but...
But... that changes the entire tone and context of the discussion. Right?

Quote:
...anyway to help them out without being a little too expectant?
Perhaps maybe teaching them social cues could help?
Perhaps. But this is hardly a 'great debate' topic.
Try the education or psychology sub forums.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:26 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
A common tactic amongst Humans is to cut others to pieces, in-order to make the one being denigrated feel bad, and to make the one doing the cutting feel all pumped-up and superior. So no, most Humans LOVE using this form of awfulness......it will never stop.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:33 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I definitely think people need to be compassionate with people with learning disabilities in social settings and give them some slack when they seem odd or socially out of synch. It's not a crime to
be socially inept, and yes, many times people with a severe learning disability have a difficult time being socially appropriate, even if they try.

Giving them a pass for property and violent crimes is a completely different issue. If charged with a crime, their attorney is already going to use their client's mental disability as a defense and many times this will be taken into consideration but it's not, nor should it be, a blank check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates