Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they are American citizens then more than likely are able to speak English so why aren't they speaking it in public? Again, this isn't about rights but respect.
No, it's about rights.

Another person's rights trump your notion of how they should respect you.

Somebody got arrested after that video, and not the Spanish-speakers.

This is a done deal, law of the land, all of that. Google, "U.S. Constitution," if you're unclear on the concept. Not brain surgery.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:20 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Funny that people are trying to have a rational conversation about this without stating the obvious: The people who are caught on tape yelling at others who are not speaking English in their presence are BIGOTS - these are people who believe in "white power," and erroneously think that "foreigners" (people with non-white skin, though they might and usually are residents) are obligated to speak English at all times.

It's a spin-off of the arguments about "illegals" (a totally disrespectful term for Illegal Immigrants).

These people who are so easily triggered by people of color think they (the white people) are superior and that they have the "right" to demand other people succumb to the rules they have made up in their heads.

They are very ignorant people and I doubt that being exposed and shamed even raises their consciousness.

These are what you call "Ugly Americans" (an old term that other countries have dubbed some American travelers for their uncouth actions).

This hasn't a thing to do with one's skin color or race! Germans are white but they speak a foreign language don't they? If they resided here and knew English I would expect them to speak English in public also unless they are conversing with someone who doesn't.

What's disrespectful about the lawful immigration term for those in our country illegally? Why do illegal aliens deserve respect anyway? If you don't like the term then take it up with our government.

The ugly Americans are those who can't stand a difference of opinion from theirs and can't disagree respectfully, without the personal attacks and without pulling the race, skin color card.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
No, it's about rights.

Another person's rights trump your notion of how they should respect you.

Somebody got arrested after that video, and not the Spanish-speakers.

This is a done deal, law of the land, all of that. Google, "U.S. Constitution," if you're unclear on the concept. Not brain surgery.

As I said, I may have the right to spit on the sidewalk but it's still rude and disrespectful. Far too many people only give a darn about their so-called rights even if it means offending others. I'm glad I'm not that way.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:32 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with anyone's skin color.

mmmkay.... if you say so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Why do other people need to understand what's being said in a private conversation that doesn't include them?

they don't..... nobody needs to be privy to a private conversation between two individuals that does not concern the eavesdropper........

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Not "racist"....I think its pretty clear these are illegal aliens who have no business being here...its insult to injury to be jabbering away in your own tongue when you've quite literally invaded someone else's country and then have the gall to act like such a thing is normal civilized behavior.

I can certainly understand the outrage.

Did I miss a giant, neon I for illegal somewhere on those women?? Otherwise, how are you so positive they are illegal??

Quote:
What if they're talking about you or other people who don't speak that language?

It could be a security risk too. People have gotten killed that way, because they have no way of knowing if someone is coordinating a crime or attack.

Societies work better when everyone speaks the same language, thus communication is maximized, transparency and openness is maximized.

Security risk..... a conversation between two women in a grocery store..... when it is highly likely that there are other Spanish speakers within earshot..... BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA......

Somehow, I don't see terrorists plots being hatched by two Hispanic women in a grocery store aisle........

Quote:
How could they be American citizens but not know how to speak English? Even naturalized citizens are required to know English in order to become citizens.

No, they are not required to be FLUENT in English.....

Quote:
You're missing the entire point. It's when someone knows how to speak English but won't even when they are bi-lingual.

so what??

Quote:
There isn't a law. That doesn't mean there couldn't be a law. It doesn't mean that a store couldn't have a policy against it either.

People should be speaking English in public spaces in America. That's our language. Its rude to do otherwise, its not necessary, and it could be a security/safety issue.

No, it is rude to eavesdrop on other's conversations and then pitch a hissy fit in a public grocery store because of your disapproval of their language........

Quote:
Eavesdropping refers to clandestine concealment and/or positioning of oneself in order to intercept a private communication, held in private, or a conversation held with the expectation of privacy. It requires the element of secrecy such that the parties to the communication are unaware of the presence of the listener.

It is impossible to eavesdrop in a public space or place. I really wish people would use words correctly. It would make these "great debates" so much less of a chore.

What's Tim McVeigh got to do with this?

Isn't it considered eavesdropping when one listens to another's conversation in a restaurant?? or at a park?? or on a train??

and seems to me that Timothy McVeigh could be counted as having been a HUGE, Oh, wait.... I mean YUUUGE, security risk..... no matter WHAT language he spoke.....

Quote:
If they are American citizens then more than likely are able to speak English so why aren't they speaking it in public? Again, this isn't about rights but respect.

Yes, your lack of respect for their rights......

Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
You use the word pander, but advertisers in Spanish not pandering.

They're capitalists, trying to make money. They have to answer tough questions for shareholders, or lose their jobs.

You're freaked out about nothing. People talk about the price of milk in Spanish, and their health problems. No issue here.

It's still pandering all in the name of capitalism and the fact is that most Hispanic-Americans can speak English so why do they have to reach them in Spanish? They can't talk about the price of milk, etc. in English? So again, whom are they trying to reach but those in our country illegally. Right, anything for a buck just as I said.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that its rude/annoying and could be a security risk. Your hypothetical is less about who is doing it and more about WHAT they are doing, and WHY.
Lol.. if they’re not talking to you it’s neither rude or any of your business. I am fluent in Spanish and French.
My mother is from France and she likes to use her native tongue. I like speaking with her in French as I don’t get to use it much and would hate to lose the ability. Same with Spanish...
Perhaps rather than worrying about a risk to your security from foreign language speakers... you might want to work on your paranoia/ bigotry issues.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
mmmkay.... if you say so!!

they don't..... nobody needs to be privy to a private conversation between two individuals that does not concern the eavesdropper........

Did I miss a giant, neon I for illegal somewhere on those women?? Otherwise, how are you so positive they are illegal??

Security risk..... a conversation between two women in a grocery store..... when it is highly likely that there are other Spanish speakers within earshot..... BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA......

Somehow, I don't see terrorists plots being hatched by two Hispanic women in a grocery store aisle........

No, they are not required to be FLUENT in English.....

so what??

No, it is rude to eavesdrop on other's conversations and then pitch a hissy fit in a public grocery store because of your disapproval of their language........

Isn't it considered eavesdropping when one listens to another's conversation in a restaurant?? or at a park?? or on a train??

and seems to me that Timothy McVeigh could be counted as having been a HUGE, Oh, wait.... I mean YUUUGE, security risk..... no matter WHAT language he spoke.....

Yes, your lack of respect for their rights......

If someone is talking loudly in a public setting then how is it eaves dropping to hear it? Why would I care about their personal lives and want to know what they are talking about? I wouldn't even know them! You're grasping at straws now.

No, it's their lack of respect for our nation's language and those around them when they know how to speak English but refuse to. If one isn't fluent in English then speaking it as often as they can will make them more fluent.

The fact that you think it was ok to pull the race card is a tell all.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There were two young women talking in the elevator today. It was super annoying.

"So I went OMG the tem is RFC on a push push. He said IRK and then said we should move. I was ROTFL and DKWTD so I just termed him."

Bad enough when they use a foreign language, but when you cannot even guess what language it is if any, that is really DRFA.
What is "DRFA"? I get the rest of the jargon though.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
If someone is talking loudly in a public setting then how is it eaves dropping to hear it? Why would I care about their personal lives and want to know what they are talking about? I wouldn't even know them! You're grasping at straws now.

No, it's their lack of respect for our nation's language and those around them when they know how to speak English but refuse to. If one isn't fluent in English then speaking it as often as they can will make them more fluent.

The fact that you think it was ok to pull the race card is a tell all.
Yup... it tells all that some of you are racists. The “ nation’s language “ bs is just how you try to justify your intolerance and bigotry. I am an American citizen born and raised here. My mom is also an American citizen, cardio vascular/ thoracic surgeon fluent in 5 languages. Hardly a security threat to you or anyone else. You’re bigotry knows no bounds.. anyone different is a threat to you and people like you.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
There isn't a law. That doesn't mean there couldn't be a law. It doesn't mean that a store couldn't have a policy against it either.

People should be speaking English in public spaces in America. That's our language. Its rude to do otherwise, its not necessary, and it could be a security/safety issue.
It's none of your ******* business what other people having a private conversation between themselves are talking about, and in what language. Go choke on your xenophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates