Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So for the near future your either going to get used to hearing spanish and being insulted or you'll get use to it.

Really? Yet the claim is that Spanish speakers become English dominant after a generation or two. So what's there to get used to? My observation is that it will never happen with the continued influx of illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country and a culture that is adamant about speaking their native tongue in public even thought they know English or worse yet will never bother to learn it or become fluent in it. We should get use to an illegal invasion from south of our border who will continue to do so? Really?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then do it in private. We have no desire in hearing your French or someone else's Spanish, Japanese, etc. loudly in public. That we way we are all happy and have equal rights.
You keep associating languages other than English as being automatically “loud.” I hear many people speaking English loudly. Perhaps they should stop speaking English also.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:40 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
To the bigots who demand other people do whatever they deem appropriate: Are you aware that the first immigrants to the U.S. who came through Ellis Island and then settled in New York made famous the culturally rich ethnic neighborhoods of New York? Can you imagine people demanding that other people abandon their rich heritages so that they could "blend in" in a way that would appeal to Anglo Saxon white people? It's just ridiculous and very sad.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 AM

[quote=eliza61nyc;53325916]
Quote:
The 14th Amendment's wording is what is correct. It's not an opinion. It clearly states "and" subject to the jurisdiction. Why would there be a qualifier such as "and" if anyone born on our soil is automatically a birthright citizen? Illegal aliens mother's aren't subject to our full jurisdiction they like anyone else though are merely subject to our laws.

This will be taken up with the Supreme Court eventually and it should have been decades ago. It's just that many of our congress critters have been too PC themselves for decades now. There have been bills introduced to fix this but of course they get shot

Edited because i was rude. My apologies.

this isnt even remotely being challenged. The jurisdiction of the mother has absolutely no bearing on anything.

There were a few GOP senators who tried a few years ago with the same "full with holes" argument about Hispanic women coming here to give birth to stay illegally. They couldn't even get a first round committee hearing on it.

Next in order to even get to tge Supreme court there would need to be a lawsuit challenging it as unconstitutional. Which all hell would break loose because the original amendment was a result of Blacks being considered as 3/4 property and not having legal standing. Lol let me assure you that we are not about to let that happen again.
I don't know what to tell you about your fixation with illegal immigrants but the 14th amendment will go away right around the time the 2nd amendment gets abolished.

All I can say is good luck with that.

I will say I don't live in a border state so i don't have the same issues.

Fixation with illegal aliens? Shouldn't we all be fixated on the negative impact they have on our society and the fact that they are here in violation of our laws and changing our demographics, culture and language unnaturally and unlawfully?

The 14th Amendment doesn't have to go away. It's written correctly. It's just not being interpreted correctly but it will be once the PC bleeding heart liberals get out of the way.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
To the bigots who demand other people do whatever they deem appropriate: Are you aware that the first immigrants to the U.S. who came through Ellis Island and then settled in New York made famous the culturally rich ethnic neighborhoods of New York? Can you imagine people demanding that other people abandon their rich heritages so that they could "blend in" in a way that would appeal to Anglo Saxon white people? It's just ridiculous and very sad.

The early immigrants did assimilate into our society and that's because they were expected to and came from different cultural and linguistic groups. No so today. Today we have mostly immigrants from south of our border here both legally and illegally and they are from the same cultural and linguistic group. It's a recipe for colonization not assimilation. It's bigoted to oppose that?

No one is asking immigrants to abandon their heritages, etc. just blend into society out in mainstream instead of remaining separate. They can practice all of their ethnic heritages at home. This isn't just about white people either. Do you think blacks like hearing all this Spanish babble everywhere instead of English? Blacks have been chased out of their neighborhoods because of them.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I agree with this first paragraph and have said similar comments in prev. posts. If a person has been living in a foreign country (Englishman barely knows Japanese while living in Japan, for example) for over a year and barely can hold a basic conservation using 1 of that country's main languages, they might have some low priorities.
This is a separate issue, from the one raised in the OP, though. This is about an expat learning the local language so that he can be understood in everyday interactions and for completion of tasks (shopping, dealing with the bureaucracy now and then), and possibly eventually accepted by co-workers and others in his milieu.

The OP is raising a very different issue. The discussion here is about whether ex-pats, whether temporary workers or permanent residents, should speak the language of their new home with each other, in private conversations that happen to take place in public places.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
Quote:
It's an opinion! I know it will never be illegal to speak a foreign language in public. Re-read the topic of this thread. It's meant for people for people to express their opinions on this matter and that's what myself and the rest of the posters including you are doing.

I am not saying it's not your opinion. You, of course, have a right to have whatever opinion you want. But if we follow this though, how would we enforce things? The first thing I thought of is law. Probably because in the first post is was stated that it's not illegal to speak other languages in public and that was followed up by a few posters saying it was wrong and there are limits on free speech (suggesting this should be one of them). Or are you saying you don't really care to enforce English in public and just wish people would use it. What is it you are wishing to debate exactly? If it's just politeness in public, my retort would be it's impolite to eavesdrop. If they are speaking loudly, then I agree with you that that is impolite as well (no matter what the language).

Old 10-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I am not saying it's not your opinion. You, of course, have a right to have whatever opinion you want. But if we follow this though, how would we enforce things? The first thing I thought of is law. Probably because in the first post is was stated that it's not illegal to speak other languages in public and that was followed up by a few posters saying it was wrong and there are limits on free speech (suggesting this should be one of them). Or are you saying you don't really care to enforce English in public and just wish people would use it. What is it you are wishing to debate exactly? If it's just politeness in public, my retort would be it's impolite to eavesdrop. If they are speaking loudly, then I agree with you that that is impolite as well (no matter what the language).

All you are doing is repeating yourself! It doesn't need to be enforced as it's not against the law! What people should be taught though is to be respectful in public. That has to happen within the home but unfortunately far to many just don't care about respecting others, our language, etc.

Who's eavesdropping? I already addressed that also. It's about having to listen to loud foreign babble in public. I already stated that also. Why do I have to keep answering yours and other's question in here over and over? If you don't agree with my opinion then so be it but I have the right to express it. The topic was started to get everyone's feed back on it.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
Quote:
All you are doing is repeating yourself! It doesn't need to be enforced as it's not against the law! What people should be taught though is to be respectful in public. That has to happen within the home but unfortunately far to many just don't care about respecting others, our language, etc.

Who's eavesdropping? I already addressed that also. It's about having to listen to loud foreign babble in public. I already stated that also. Why do I have to keep answering yours and other's question in here over and over? If you don't agree with my opinion then so be it but I have the right to express it. The topic was started to get everyone's feed back on it.

I figured this was a debate forum: a place to defend those opinions and possibly point out flaws in other opinions (in a friendly debate format). I am not saying you don't have a right to express your opinion, I don't even think you need to change it. I am just asking you to defend your opinion. The only debate point I've seen from you is that it's impolite. I would contend that politeness is subjective. For example, if it's impolite for two people to have a conversation in a langues you can't understand, does that also make it impolite for someone to have a conversation in English you don't understand? What's the difference? If someone is speaking so loud that you can't help but hear them, then I agree with you, that's impolite. But that sounds more like a problem with volume, not the language itself. I am sure if someone were doing anything loudly in public, it would be offensive.

How about we flip things around. Point out the flaws in my side of the debate. I contend that, as long as no laws are being violated, people can say anything in a private conversation that they want (note, private conversation, not loudly speaking). If someone wants to speak baby talk to a dog, they can (even if it's nonsense babble). If someone wants to go over technical specs of a project and their conversation is so full of jargon, they can (even if it sounds like nonsense to someone else). If someone wants to talk to their friend in a langue they both happen to speak, they can (even if some people around them don't know that language). To me, it's all the same. Stuff I can't understand (and probably can't hear if they are speaking normally and not shouting) and don't really care about.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I figured this was a debate forum: a place to defend those opinions and possibly point out flaws in other opinions (in a friendly debate format). I am not saying you don't have a right to express your opinion, I don't even think you need to change it. I am just asking you to defend your opinion. The only debate point I've seen from you is that it's impolite. I would contend that politeness is subjective. For example, if it's impolite for two people to have a conversation in a langues you can't understand, does that also make it impolite for someone to have a conversation in English you don't understand? What's the difference? If someone is speaking so loud that you can't help but hear them, then I agree with you, that's impolite. But that sounds more like a problem with volume, not the language itself. I am sure if someone were doing anything loudly in public, it would be offensive.

Yep gotta be careful not to use big words in public that someone around you might not understand!

A person who is so snowflakey and sensitive that they can't handle hearing words in public that they don't understand... man, sounds like a rough way to go through life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates