Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
You're on one end of the abortion debate,

and you are on the other.

You two can argue about that all day, and you're not going to change. I was asking about one small gray area in between in the hopes of having an open minded discussion, and not so much sharing the same monotonous repetition.
It's not monotonous repetition, actually. It's a very clear statement; government can not possibly tell a woman your baby can be aborted because of your circumstances, sweetie, because you shouldn't be made to suffer, but not yours over there. You deserve to suffer for your sin. You've made your bed, now lie in it.

It's one or the other. ALL babies must be carried to term when possible, or ALL mothers have a choice up to a certain gestational age. To do otherwise is too horrific an idea to contemplate.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Just to be clear, can someone tell me what condition of being pregnant could be a risk to the life of the mother? I had placenta previa. 100% placenta previa. This means the placenta blocks the vaginal canal. It often resolves itself by the time the baby is born as the placental pulls upward. But not in my case. They knew it probably around 15 weeks. I had an u/s almost every week and they knew I was having a C-section pretty early on. No one every said to me, you should probably have an abortion to save your life. EVER. So, what condition causes a pregnancy to risk the life of the mother?

Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Just to be clear, can someone tell me what condition of being pregnant could be a risk to the life of the mother? I had placenta previa. 100% placenta previa. This means the placenta blocks the vaginal canal. It often resolves itself by the time the baby is born as the placental pulls upward. But not in my case. They knew it probably around 15 weeks. I had an u/s almost every week and they knew I was having a C-section pretty early on. No one every said to me, you should probably have an abortion to save your life. EVER. So, what condition causes a pregnancy to risk the life of the mother?
https://www.marchofdimes.org/complic...mortality.aspx

Quote:
We know most of the causes of pregnancy-related death. The leading causes can be different depending on timing:

During and after pregnancy: Heart disease and stroke cause more than 1 in 3 pregnancy-related deaths.
During birth: Emergencies, like heavy bleeding and amniotic fluid embolism, cause the most deaths during birth. Amniotic fluid embolism is when some of your baby’s cells or amniotic fluid (fluid that surrounds the baby in the womb) gets into your bloodstream.
The week after giving birth: Heavy bleeding, high blood pressure and infection cause the most deaths in the week after giving birth.
One week after birth to 1 year after birth: Cardiomyopathy (weakened heart muscle) causes the most deaths during this time.
Many of these things can happen without any advanced warning so every pregnancy carries the risk of death.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:27 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
https://www.marchofdimes.org/complic...mortality.aspx

Many of these things can happen without any advanced warning so every pregnancy carries the risk of death.

We know most of the causes of pregnancy-related death. The leading causes can be different depending on timing:

During and after pregnancy: Heart disease and stroke cause more than 1 in 3 pregnancy-related deaths. Generally happen with no notice.

During birth: Emergencies, like heavy bleeding and amniotic fluid embolism, cause the most deaths during birth. Amniotic fluid embolism is when some of your baby’s cells or amniotic fluid (fluid that surrounds the baby in the womb) gets into your bloodstream. Why do you need to kill the baby during birth for this? Makes NO SENSE

The week after giving birth: Heavy bleeding, high blood pressure and infection cause the most deaths in the week after giving birth. So just on the chance that you might have issues after the birth, you need to abort the baby? Again, makes no sense.

One week after birth to 1 year after birth: Cardiomyopathy (weakened heart muscle) causes the most deaths during this time.

If you know that a pregnant woman is at risk, that's one thing but most of these examples would not be known ahead of time. And if I knew that having a baby might risk my life, I would make dam$ sure I was using birth control.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's not monotonous repetition, actually. It's a very clear statement; government can not possibly tell a woman your baby can be aborted because of your circumstances, sweetie, because you shouldn't be made to suffer, but not yours over there. You deserve to suffer for your sin. You've made your bed, now lie in it.

It's one or the other. ALL babies must be carried to term when possible, or ALL mothers have a choice up to a certain gestational age. To do otherwise is too horrific an idea to contemplate.
Yes, it really is, and for the last time, it has zero relevance in this thread. I see all you are trying to do is argue your pro-life opinion. That's not what this thread is about.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post

During and after pregnancy: Heart disease and stroke cause more than 1 in 3 pregnancy-related deaths. Generally happen with no notice.

During birth: Emergencies, like heavy bleeding and amniotic fluid embolism, cause the most deaths during birth. Amniotic fluid embolism is when some of your baby’s cells or amniotic fluid (fluid that surrounds the baby in the womb) gets into your bloodstream. Why do you need to kill the baby during birth for this? Makes NO SENSE

The week after giving birth: Heavy bleeding, high blood pressure and infection cause the most deaths in the week after giving birth. So just on the chance that you might have issues after the birth, you need to abort the baby? Again, makes no sense.

If you know that a pregnant woman is at risk, that's one thing but most of these examples would not be known ahead of time. And if I knew that having a baby might risk my life, I would make dam$ sure I was using birth control.
If you knew, why did you ask?

Do you think BC is perfect? Even sterilization has been known to fail..........and that is why every woman has the right to terminate a pregnancy if she is not willing to risk her life.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:

I agree with this statement. Abortion is either defensible, or it is not. ClaraC's logic is correct.

I happen to believe that it is defensible because I believe in bodily autonomy. I do not want the government to come up to me one day and demand my liver, kidneys and lungs because somebody needs them more than I do. That is the logical end if we allow the government to have control over a person's body, which is what restrictions on abortion do.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:44 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
It's not monotonous repetition, actually. It's a very clear statement; government can not possibly tell a woman your baby can be aborted because of your circumstances, sweetie...
Actually, the government shouldn't be telling anyone what to do with her own body.

Quote:
ALL babies must be carried to term when possible
It sounds as if Big Brother is speaking.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I'm not "all over the place" at all. I'm in one very clear singular place.

And I separate my sentences for readability.

My point is clear to most - you can't say an embryo's life is precious and needs to be protected by law, except in cases where the pregnant woman didn't sin. In those cases, prolifer's will say, that life isn't precious actually, and she can kill it. Because she didn't enjoy its conception.

You can't have it both ways. You can't. It's a crime to kill a healthy embryo, or it isn't.

An embryo isn't less precious and less deserving of life if the mother is "pure" and not sinful.
I think part of the problem with your post is that you say, "You can't have it both ways. You can't. It's a crime to kill a healthy embryo, or it isn't."

How are you meaning that? Because if you're talking in terms of the law, yes you can have it "both ways".
If you're talking morally...I think you can still have it both ways, and that's dependent on the perspective of the individual. And that's really the issue in this whole debate -- there are two sides to the argument (or more), and I (at least for one) can understand most of the different viewpoints...keeping in mind that understanding those different viewpoints is not the same as agreeing with any particular viewpoint.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:51 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

Clara, you're wrong. The government can differentiate situations, providing that the standards are not arbitrary and capricious based on one person or another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates