Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Etiquette is the wrong word, and will throw it off-course. It's a need more along the lines of ethics / civility, common sense, and health habits. Etiquette is above and beyond what is necessary.

And this is less about what's taught in school, and more about what is taught (and reinforced) in the home, and in public with the family, etc. It's also heavily cultural. If culture doesn't value it, it won't matter where it is attempted do be taught.
I agree. Etiquette to me akin to mostly meaningless traditions that have been passed along for generations for no particular reason. Those traditions can be thrown in the trash in my opinion.

People are simply very selfish nowadays. They need to consider and treat others as they would want to be treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post

One example is the simple act of saying "Thank you"...

And that the proper reply to "Thank you" is "You're welcome", not "No problem".

Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
And that the proper reply to "Thank you" is "You're welcome", not "No problem".
Yes/agreed. But is that "taught" in schools? Not really. That's a cultural change in language and communications over time that now shows up everywhere.

And again with changes in culture, we have to see why "lessons" and changes in manners don't work like they used to. Previously, there was common focus and being on "the same page" in all locations. School might reinforce something, but the home, neighborhoods/community, and church also had a large role. When there was common focus, it kept people together and continuing what worked so well for many years.

People want to slam schools, while ignoring the big picture, including a role in the problem that they might be playing.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-05-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
I'm Gen Z and I could care less about the "rules of etiquette" and "morals" that used to be taught "back in the day." The last thing I'm going to listen to is someone older than me attempting to tell me how I should act in public. I'll happily continue to live by my own code, and if someone doesn't like that, too bad (there's the native Philadelphian in me coming out).

Old 09-05-2019, 11:49 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
This isn't about etiquette, you don't have to teach anything specific, it's purely about consideration for others. As long as people think about how their actions affect other people and how they could minimize negative effects, everything else will follow from that.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm Gen Z and I could care less about the "rules of etiquette" and "morals" that used to be taught "back in the day." The last thing I'm going to listen to is someone older than me attempting to tell me how I should act in public. I'll happily continue to live by my own code, and if someone doesn't like that, too bad (there's the native Philadelphian in me coming out).
This is just narcissism.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve noticed some things at work and at restaurants that people should have learned from some old school etiquette lessons. I’m not talking about the ones that didn’t have any logical reasons behind the etiquette rules. I’m talking about things like talking with food in your mouth (makes it difficult for others to understand and looks disgusting), putting your chair back under the table/desk when you get up (keeps walkway clear), do not interrupt when others are speaking without first saying “excuse me” (if everyone is talking over each other then no one is listening), covering your mouth when sneezing (helps to reduce chances of spreading germs). Are there others you would include? Are there new ones you would include, like talking on a cell phone loudly in a public restroom?
To all of the sneezers, which is pretty much everyone at some point, please do not cover your face with your hand when you sneeze!! You then proceed to transfer your germs to everything you touch.....doorknobs, handles, money, etc. Sneeze into the crook of your arm and spare us your influenza!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
Quote:
Wonder the age of this gen z ?

1 parent household ?

other issues ?

Good example of why required military for all might be a good idea.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 PM

604 posts, read 838,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
This isn't about etiquette, you don't have to teach anything specific, it's purely about consideration for others. As long as people think about how their actions affect other people and how they could minimize negative effects, everything else will follow from that.
This is so true. Seems like a lot of people operate as though no one else exists. I went to my dentist office recently and saw a young man slouching on a love seat with both feet on the seat of the other side. I wanted to say, excuse me, no one wants to sit on furniture that has had your dirty shoes on it. But I didn't. I figured anyone who sits that way in a public place could care less about anyone but himself.

Another pet peeve is retail store employees who have loud conversations with each other while stocking shelves on either side of customers, and they are yelling in the customers ears on either side. Last week I was in a Target and my head was ringing while I tried to find the right moisturizer with employees yelling on either side of me. Or store employees who spend more time yucking it up with each other than helping customers. Sheesh. I worked retail and employees were advised not to talk to each other or at least talk quietly while customers were around. But this was common sense to me and I wasn't sure why we had to be told that sort of information.

I witness so many things like this daily. All I can figure out is that everyone thinks they are more important than the rest of the world and they don't care that their actions impact other people.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
You'll be sorry though when you go on a job interview dressed like a slob and you can't get hired. Also, people do judge you by your behavior--etiquette is just a fancy word for being polite and considerate of others.

My sister helped a guy who couldn't get a job. One day she saw how he dressed for the interviews--in camouflage! So she took him out and they bought a clean shirt and khaki pants. He got two job offers once he started dressing better. One reason is that to show up for an interview dressed like a slob is insulting to the person who is interviewing you. They invited you for an interview, you are their guest. So at least dress as if you respect the person. Dress and act the way normal people dress and act. It's not "anything goes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates