Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 03:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is just narcissism.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Wonder the age of this gen z ?

1 parent household ?

other issues ?

Good example of why required military for all might be a good idea.
I just turned 24. Though I did come from a one-parent household, I have no issues: I'm a college grad (first in my family), I work in finance, have my own apartment in my favorite city, and am in a relationship with a wonderful girlfriend. Just because I don't want to follow outdated etiquette rules, does NOT mean that I have any issues. I'm mostly nice and pleasant, as most people in my life would attest; however, I'm all about doing my own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You'll be sorry though when you go on a job interview dressed like a slob and you can't get hired. Also, people do judge you by your behavior--etiquette is just a fancy word for being polite and considerate of others.

My sister helped a guy who couldn't get a job. One day she saw how he dressed for the interviews--in camouflage! So she took him out and they bought a clean shirt and khaki pants. He got two job offers once he started dressing better. One reason is that to show up for an interview dressed like a slob is insulting to the person who is interviewing you. They invited you for an interview, you are their guest. So at least dress as if you respect the person. Dress and act the way normal people dress and act. It's not "anything goes."
I'm in business, so I know better than to go dress like a slob at an interview. Though I don't care about what most people think of me, people in my life would say that I am very polite and considerate. I just do my own thing, run by my own code, and evaluate which rules of etiquette I want to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
It's amazing that anyone thinks morals can't be taught.

And it's duly noted that you object to the teaching of the morality of accepting transgender people for who they are.
That's not what I said. I questioned the teaching of transgenderism IN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM.

You would prefer people who know about transgenderism instead of people who can behave in a civil, respectful manner?
Think being able to describe transgenderism is a more valuable, lifelong skill to have than basic manners?

Apparently so.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:51 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Most definitely.

Because the list could become very long perhaps just keeping it simple? Please, thank you, etc.

Just as warriors of old developed the custom of offering a hand to shake to indicate, "I have no weapon in my hand, therefore I mean well," manners are to indicate a respect for and goodwill toward our companions on the road of life.

Use of the commonplace old words should help people develop an attitude of respect for others. At this time in our increasingly diverse society it seems only common sense to want to create that social atmosphere.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:05 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Most definitely.

Because the list could become very long perhaps just keeping it simple? Please, thank you, etc.

Just as warriors of old developed the custom of offering a hand to shake to indicate, "I have no weapon in my hand, therefore I mean well," manners are to indicate a respect for and goodwill toward our companions on the road of life.

Use of the commonplace old words should help people develop an attitude of respect for others. At this time in our increasingly diverse society it seems only common sense to want to create that social atmosphere.
The list would be really simple.

Don't take what's not yours.
Don't interrupt when others are speaking
Keep your hands to yourself (this covers so much)
Be civil to each other (don't have to like each other though)
Say please, thanks, you're welcome
Chew with your mouth closed and don't talk with food in your mouth
Cover your mouth/nose when you sneeze
Look someone in the eye when shaking hands
Stand when meeting someone

Pretty basic stuff. Imagine if EVERYONE did the above.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,398 times
I just turned 24. Though I did come from a one-parent household, I have no issues: I'm a college grad (first in my family), I work in finance, have my own apartment in my favorite city, and am in a relationship with a wonderful girlfriend. Just because I don't want to follow outdated etiquette rules, does NOT mean that I have any issues. I'm mostly nice and pleasant, as most people in my life would attest; however, I'm all about doing my own thing.

I'm in business, so I know better than to go dress like a slob at an interview. Though I don't care about what most people think of me, people in my life would say that I am very polite and considerate. I just do my own thing, run by my own code, and evaluate which rules of etiquette I want to follow.[/quote]

Well that's good to hear. Congrats on college. Because you say you are nice & pleasant makes me think your 1st post was more about rebellion. I get it, most rebel at your age, I did.

I did look up what I could find about gen z. So like every other new generation wanting to do your own thing to be unique. Except everyone else is doing it too, so.. not so unique.

I have a 22 yr. old son who is a know-it-all. If you don't believe it, you can ask him.

I doubt you would even consider treating your grandparents with disrespect. And hopefully stand up for them if someone else did.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
Only two ways to have anything close to what things used to be 60 years ago or so. Build a time machine and go back in time. 2. Move to a nice small town away from any major cities where people are friendly, polite, helpful etc. We found one. We love it here.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:48 PM

493 posts, read 514,639 times
Some of you people are so stuffy and judgmental.

Better to teach our children about how Communism can improve our lives

Old 09-05-2019, 10:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
My mom was big on putting your napkin in your lap. No elbows on the table. No chewing with your mouth open. No reaching across the table. No slurping to the bottom of your glass with a straw.

The standard short & sweet pre-dinner prayer with kids; 'God is great, God is good & we thank him for our food. Amen'.

God forbid if the phone rang during dinner time. Maybe no one minds their manners because nobody eats together anymore? Kids take off to their rooms & their dad goes downstairs to sit in front of the TV. I'm usually eating standing up.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
This trend is just a reflection of a much bigger deterioration in communication, ethics, and civility across America. In other words, the problems/changes are much broader than etiquette and manners, and more prevalent than just something missing from schools. When we have "leaders" yelling and screwing people over - for example - we see the junk from the very top, and that pollution just runs downstream.

Americans are poor at seeing the big picture, full causes and effects. We tend to only see a tiny portion of the "elephant", and also only attack the issue in one narrow area. Until that changes, we'll have difficulty solving anything. But no one ever wants to do the real, needed work, or admit how much we need to improve.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Only two ways to have anything close to what things used to be 60 years ago or so. Build a time machine and go back in time. 2. Move to a nice small town away from any major cities where people are friendly, polite, helpful etc. We found one. We love it here.
Thanks so much for posting this, augiedogie. We are moving to Door County, WI next year and can hardly wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates