Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,568,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
They don't make it possible to do it yourself. In my city you have no other options.
I'm sure that you could go down the Cuyahoga and take a bucket or two of untreated water, although I don't recommend it.

That being said, I'd rather pay for the water that I use in my own household through my water and sewage bills than pay for it via a tax.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 10-10-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,993,181 times
No

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
I find it immoral that cities charge people to use water each month. I believe cities shouldn't charge for things that they did not create.

Yes I'm aware that they maintain plants to recycle, clean the water and pipes to deliver it to peoples homes. I think it should be a tax taken out of people's paychecks instead of paying a water bill month to month for life. It shouldn't be tied directly to the homeowner.

what do you guys think about this?
How many gallons should be "free"?

Old 10-11-2019, 04:13 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
How many gallons should be "free"?
all the gallons can be free, you get charged for the ounces or milli liters though

After helping a local community aide load up for a trip to the third world country to implement a system to create drinking water and local sewer treatment. I no longer (nor ever did really) think it magically appeared.
With that in mind I don't take for granted the infrastructure we have in place in modern day "privileged" countries to have indoor plumbing or somewhat safe water. I say somewhat because I've had the BOIL alerts and the tainted scares that left us hurling ...and hospital bound.

Best water I ever had came from a Spring...pouring off a mountain side....My gosh that was the most refreshing liquid! I'd have paid for that in a heart beat....yet it was free!!!! I just can't afford to drive 1000 miles each day to get that Best free water...

Old 10-11-2019, 04:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 12,804,222 times
My water system is "free" sort of. I had to pay for the well and septic system and maintain them. Essentially I just pay for the electricity to the well pump and budget about 1k every 15 years for a replacement pump.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:
So the city should charge the user or the homeowner?
The user is usually the homeowner. In the case of renters, you can pass the bill to them.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 5,162,086 times
The water is free. You're charged for the treatment of sewage and maintenance of the infrastructure. Your bill is basically a "use tax."

For those of us who live on rural properties, our water is free-- if you don't count the $10Gs for well digging, pump & pressure tank, cost of plumbing and the $15Gs for septic system, not to mention the $30/m electric bill to pump it.

Many states outlaw the collection of rain water (That's wrong.)

If water were provided free, what would prevent you from establishing a bottling plant to supply all the Millennials with their pacifiers? (It'll take 4 days with no water at all to die of dehydration. Why do they need a bottle of water in the car when they go to the 7-11?)

Old 10-11-2019, 06:22 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,747,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Water IS free!

Oh, you mean clean filtered and treated water? Well, that takes time, equipment, labor and money...either do it yourself or pay whoever is doing it for you! It's pretty simple.

This exactly!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
They don't make it possible to do it yourself. In my city you have no other options.
No one is forced to live in a city. One can move to an unincorporated or rural area, put in a well, filtration and pump system and have at it. Such properties also typically require septic systems to handle sewage that periodically needs to be flushed.

Everything wears out and requires major repairs and eventual replacement.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 AM

453 posts, read 346,144 times
Lol, what a bizarre thread. Tax the user rather than the homeowner? Who do you think the homeowner is?? The user!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates