Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,044 times

Advertisements

Store clerks often ask if I want to "round up" for various causes, IE-literacy, breast cancer awareness and other causes. I almost always go along with it, but my wife feels social pressure to comply, to make a quick decision immediately. She says she doesn't know the administrative costs associated with these groups and would rather make an informed decision. I, on the other hand, tend to not overthink it.

Does anyone else feel social pressure to donate to unknown charities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,714,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Store clerks often ask if I want to "round up" for various causes, IE-literacy, breast cancer awareness and other causes. I almost always go along with it, but my wife feels social pressure to comply, to make a quick decision immediately. She says she doesn't know the administrative costs associated with these groups and would rather make an informed decision. I, on the other hand, tend to not overthink it.

Sure. So what? I know how to say 'no'.

Every solicitation, pitch or request has an element of pressure. The bill-ringing Santa who makes eye contact and personally greets you. The Girl Scouts and their cookies. The high school football players selling pizzas or coupon books or whatever. That's how it works.

Sometimes I give. Sometimes I say 'no'.

I don't see the problem.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:20 PM

1,406 posts, read 802,704 times
Not hard to say no.

I like it when there's a screen on the debit/credit card reader asks you instead of the cashier asking out loud. That way folks can decline without any discomfort or embarrassment.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
I got a good-sized frown the other day at a coffee shop when I didn't check the tip box on the screen. Good grief.

You made the coffee, true. That's what you get paid for. Then you walked maybe six steps and handed me the cup. I had to get my own napkin, spoon and additives. I returned my used cup to the busing tray and threw away my napkin. I don't see that as tip-worthy unless you have particularly brightened my day or I'm feeling especially generous (which on occasion I am.)

Yes, I feel pressure to give and no, I don't have a problem not giving. If I am asked I say, "I already have two charities I give generously to (my two adult children.) Both of them work hard at their jobs.

You know, I really was put out by that frown that told me a lot about her attitude.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:48 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,227,416 times
I do get the sense thsat these are sponsored by companies trying to feel better about themselves by collecting other people's money rather than donating their own - or perhaos matching to increase the impact. I have no probelm saying no. I volunteer tome to a non-proft on a weekly basis; I don't have anythng to apologize for. These things are betting on that cult/peer pressure factor. I would rather increase hwat I give to my chosen charities I know than give to one of these unkonwn entities.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:53 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post

No......but on the other hand, I do give to beggars.

Perhaps it is a scam, such as those who say they need gas money to get back to Houston or that he just got out of jail, but a few things, in no particular order.

First, I can afford it. Second, if it is a scam, then the penalty is on them, not on me, when we all go to meet our maker. That is like what I say to those who cut me off in traffic....."Well, if it is that important to you....."

Third, I don't get to the collection plate in church that often, so this is my way. On that note and to this thread, I am avoiding any administrative costs.

Finally, there is, "Give once more to the one before.". It's a line from a Conan comic, this one I think
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1B0isWO8-L.jpg
but I use it as a quality of mercy. As someone once did for me in the past, so now I do for another.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,214,643 times
I don't think I have ever said "no" to rounding up my total when I have been asked. What difference does a few cents make to me? None. Those few cents may make a difference to someone else.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,921,841 times
I've never once donated that way, I've never felt pressure to give.

I donate to charities I research, in ways that are easy for me to track to my finances/tax documents/etc. Nickle and dime giving at checkout counters makes that much more difficult to track.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:37 PM

485 posts, read 967,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I don't think I have ever said "no" to rounding up my total when I have been asked. What difference does a few cents make to me? None. Those few cents may make a difference to someone else.
I get what you are saying but it's the "may" part that makes me hesitate. I don't know who this store is involved in, if it really even GOES to the so-called pet charity of THEIR choice. I like my own choice with personal involvement at least to the mission and calling of where my money goes.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM

485 posts, read 967,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I've never once donated that way, I've never felt pressure to give.

I donate to charities I research, in ways that are easy for me to track to my finances/tax documents/etc. Nickle and dime giving at checkout counters makes that much more difficult to track.
And gives that store the ability to brag about how generous they are with other people's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates