Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times

Advertisements

...Is a completely one-sided hyper-politicized media detrimental to freedom and democracy?

...Is a completely one-sided hyper-politicized scientific community detrimental to true science?

Your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
...Is a completely one-sided hyper-politicized media detrimental to freedom and democracy?
I would think not, overall. For every skewed media outlet, there are others that tell the real truth. And facts are a funny thing as they always seem to rise to the top if given time. Now, to me, the real danger in a highly skewed political media outlet is that it seems to strengthen the idea that one side is always right and the other always wrong and that we really cannot work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
...Is a completely one-sided hyper-politicized scientific community detrimental to true science?

Less so than above as science tends to deal more with facts. But science is also a lot of theory and that often becomes a matter of opinion (or bias).

Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
A restricted media as we have today is not conducive with democracy. Access to posting content is very difficult, and Government assures that only a select few elite can broadcast to the general public. Only the Internet, a largely unregulated free market of ideas exists to allow all views from most people. I can only hope that many do as I have, watch less corporate media and get more information from real life or even the internet before making decisions or forming opinions.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yes, and to a lesser degree, yes.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
very much yes on both accounts.

biased media controls to a large extent the opinion of the public.

the scientific community is certainly better suited to deal with idiocy like this, but there are far too many documented cases of scientific ego getting in the way of truth. nowadays, i think science is a bit more cautious about blatantly ignoring new studies, and clinging blindly to old ones, but that may just be my opinion...

as much as i see the internet as a good thing in the way of free trade of ideas, it is also the least reliable in my view as to the dissemination of quality ideas and verifiable truth. i take everything that i read on the net, and everything that i see on tv, with a grain of salt. heck, even the books i read, whether they claim to be nonfiction or not, are read as if possibly fiction.

all of these sources can be used to further a totalitarian ideal, and to enslave or brainwash the public. it needs to be controlled, but that brings up an entirely new discussion in and of itself. because control by any ruling body of the public would be a step down the direction of the corruption that we would be trying to avoid. it needs to be controlled by the entire public; by everyone becoming involved and educated in our own government and social responsibilities. if everyone were to get off of their lazy behinds and take a few minutes of every day to enlighten themselves as to the condition of the world around us and our part in it, then we wouldn't be so easily manipulated by right wing or left wing (or any of the others in between) puppeteers, and our society would run smoother and be more successful.

aaron out.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I agree with all of the above comments. If I want truth in the news I look to Canada, England, Israel and other countries. The last place I look is the cable enternainment channels like Fox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates