Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:05 PM

71 posts, read 205,655 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on it?

There is a curriculum that some schools use, I think "Welcoming Schools" that teaching kids to embrace gays, etc. I think it does cover some anti-bullyiing, which I understand, but why as there never been anti-bullying on short kids,kids with big nose, Christian kids, etc?

Some schools have even read stories about gays in KINDERGARTEN! Here are some links that tell about it:

Protect Marriage - Yes on 8 » Video (http://www.protectmarriage.com/video/view/6 - broken link) (Make sure to watch it all)
Prop8
How same-sex "marriage" affects Massachusetts

Just wondering about your thoughts on this matter?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Because people hate gays in general.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 PM

71 posts, read 205,655 times
I dont hate gays. I really didn't want this to become a bashing post.

I am a Christian and I don't agree w/ the lifestyle but I don't hate gays. I've been friends with gay people.

In fact, I know it's not a choice to have same-sex attraction. (I've worked with kids who were gay.) To me, its a sin to act out on it, and make the lifestyle choice to act out on it. I know of several CHristians who have unwanted same sex attraction. And I do support programs such as "Love Won Out"

Okay, let's get back to the subject.

How do you feel on the matter?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post

There is a curriculum that some schools use, I think "Welcoming Schools" that teaching kids to embrace gays, etc. I think it does cover some anti-bullyiing, which I understand, but why as there never been anti-bullying on short kids,kids with big nose, Christian kids, etc?

Some schools have even read stories about gays in KINDERGARTEN! Here are some links that tell about it:

Protect Marriage - Yes on 8 » Video (http://www.protectmarriage.com/video/view/6 - broken link) (Make sure to watch it all)
Prop8

I think if they spent half the time on bullying and tolerance as they do this, everyone would be a lot better off, including the gays, and they wouldn't need to shove that life-style down other people's kids' throats.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post

Prop8

last I checked, people weren't being strung up on fences to die b/c they had a huge nose or under 5' tall and since this nation is mainly Christian, you aren't going to find too many of them being bullied either. a good anti-bullying program will cover ALL forms of bullying, not just those cases caused by racism and homophobia

have you've seen some of the books being protested? a lot of these books have NOTHING to do at all about promoting homosexuality. one book in particular (the book that was highly challenged in Lexington MA) was simply a showcase of different types of families, including a few w/ gay parents. there was another book about two male penguins raising a chick, I believe. again, a book about different kinds of families. nothing wrong w/ that, is there? plus, such books have NOTHING to do w/ gay marriage since gays aren't prohibited from fostering or adopting in most states. so either way, even if gay marriage is prohibited in places like CA, kids are still going to be exposed to kids w/ same sex parents/adoptive parents/foster parents (oh dear god, the HORROR )

and I just came back from Boston last year and the state hasn't descended into anarchy and mayhem yet! the sun still shone, the snow wasn't drenched in the blood of innocents, and overall, it's still a very nice, progressive place to live. I'll be heading there next week and will report if the Hellmouth has opened up underneath the state house or if there are hypersexed kids running around causing chaos like a scene out of "A Clockwork Orange"! I mean, it's almost been 5 years, you'd think if this stuff was going to happen and God was going to strike down Massachusetts for its evil ways, he would have done it by now! yet the state is still thriving, hell, BETTER than California and some southern states are!

PS: that last link about MA is the biggest load of bigoted cr*p I've read in a long time. people like the author are a sad bunch indeed

Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
I think it's a great idea, but should be done in a simple and innocent way, to teach children from a young age that there are all different kinds of families out there. Hopefully this is being done, and not just to say that it's "okay to be gay": there should be stories told about~ families that have two parents of the same sex; families with a single parent; families with two parents of different races; families with children who are adopted; and of course families that have parents of different sexes and biological children; etc., etc., etc. The children in these classes may come from all of the above situations. Would it not benefit society greatly for these children and their classmates to believe and understand that any of these family situations, though perhaps different from another, is just as "good" as any other?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Short people and people with big noses aren't organized. If they got themselves organized and had lobbying and PR groups then they could have influence too and schools would teach tolerance of the short and big nosed.

That's how it works, simple.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
with the way things are going a special emphasis will have to be placed on the oddity of families with two original & biological married parents.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Since parents won't, I guess it's up to the schools to teach altruism. There are enough legitimate reasons to hate people. Gender preference sure isn't one of them.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Because people hate gays in general.
Gah Here it is again No, the-Boohoo-woe-is-me attitude mixed with Hey look at me everybody! I'm gay! Do you hate me? in your face crap is what most people hate. I have gay friends who don't do that and I'm fine with them. Not with being gay but we have an understanding there, I don't discuss my sex life with them and they don't discuss theirs with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates