Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if my pet required major surgery to stay alive, then I would take her out back and put a 44 through their head at close range.

it does not mean I would like doing it, but spending major money on keeping an animal alive is just plain hogwash.
And, I'm just the opposite.

If our pet required major surgery - I would make sure he had the best surgeon possible - regardless of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Somewhat cynical, aren't you?

I have a very good and caring vet. My Dachshund visits his Doctor every 3 months, he receives his regular vaccinations and gets a "physical" - and on several occasions, the Doctor identified potentially serious issues and took care of them right away.

Do you have your animals vaccinated?
No, just whatever they get at spay/neuter time. I keep my cats inside and my dogs inside or outside under supervision. In my lifetime I have had to go without medical care for years so animals should not get better than I did. The funny thing is that they generally live the same or longer than friend's pets who get regular vetrinary care. 100 years ago people did not waste their resources on that nonsense, so why should we be forced to? I no longer have dogs because of government regulations, but I still have a couple of cats that seem perfectly happy and healthy. Some people have money to burn, I do not. Veterinarians are expensive, and never give free estimates, just rob you blind.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
It would depend. We had a very young cat (3 years old) who ate 2 feet of ribbon and had it entangled in her intestines. It cost about $1,000 for her operation. If she had been a lot older (over 10), I don't know. She is now a healthy 13 years old.

We had another cat who was almost 16. He had arthritis. He couldn't climb stairs. He couldn't jump up on the bed. He couldn't make it to his cat pan. He would howl at all hours of the night. It was heartbreaking to see him like this. However, nature intervened and he passed away very peacefully one afternoon during his nap in the sun. My daughter, who was about 8 at the time, found it. It was tramatic for the kids, but probably less so than having to make the decision ourselves to put him down.

The cats we now have are 13 and 17, so I think about this all the time.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
I went until the end, when I knew there was no chance of saving him, when his blood platelets were halving each 24 hours and the Dr. told me he didn't know if my beloved Teddy would last through the night.

I spent $10K in March-April in three surgeries to save him. He pulled through. Then, two and a half months later he became deathly ill in only a few days. Took him to the best place in the state - no hope. No whole blood anywhere to even do the right kind of tranfusion. And honestly, after his three week hospitalization in March-April, I don't think I could have poked and prodded him more. Still, I wasn't going to have him put to sleep in some sterile place. Got him an Rx for pain pills and slept with him at the foot of my bed that night. The next a.m. - called the Vet and asked him to put my baby to sleep. Three hours and 45 minutes later the Vet arrived. My baby looked miserable, but was wagging his tail eating cheese snacks right up until the end. My baby died in my arms on a fluffy blanket in our living room.

Got him groomed after death. Went to the crematorium and kissed him goodbye. They put his little body in the incinerator. I waited 45 minutes to bring him home.

Nothing was too much for my Teddy.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
God bless you, I just know you will be together again.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
God bless you, I just know you will be together again.
That is my hope. Thank you

Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Movin-Your story brought tears to my eyes. I would do anything for my brat cat as he is everything to me and more. I know you'll see Teddy again

Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if my pet required major surgery to stay alive, then I would take her out back and put a 44 through their head at close range.

it does not mean I would like doing it, but spending major money on keeping an animal alive is just plain hogwash.
Oh yeah, that's real classy, to blow your pets face off !

That's illegal in Wisconsin, and it's illegal for a reason, it's a felony I believe. There is a place you can take pets to have them put down, humanely. Do you need a clue ?

Any person that would do that to any animal, especially their own pet, is wired wrong !!!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

110 posts, read 294,116 times
I would do what I can for Baxter, but if it is over $1000, that will be the end. I'll take him to the vet and get him put down. If he is in chronic pain and will not get better (cancer, joint disease, old age, trauma, etc) that will be the best route. Keeping a pet alive when they are in pain is just cruel to your pet and so selfish.

As for the "blowing your pet's face off", if done correctly by someone who knows how to correctly operate a firearm, it is virtually painless and much better than having your pet suffer. This is obviously a last resort (in my book). It is no worse than a prick of a needle and the pain they are already in, especially if severe trauma is involved and the vet is "too busy". In fact, in one of the horse magazines I get, (Horse and Rider, I think) there was an article about how to humanely euthanize your animal if there was severe trauma and and the vet could not get there. Done correctly, it is preferable to waiting a few hours/days while your animal is suffering and in unspeakable pain while you wait for the vet to finish whatever it was he was doing. However, if my dog was sick or had cancer or some other illness, I see no reason to use a gun. In my opinion, death by firearm should be a last last last resort, only used in the most dire of cases.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I will not take any pet to the vet more than once for the removal of the sexual parts. They get food, water and love. WHen they get sick I do my best but if they die, I have the shovel ready to bury them. I refuse to support an industry of veterinary care when so many people have no access to healthcare. Throwing money away on a lost cause is not a nice thing to do. So many unwanted animals are killed that it would be better to give one of them a chance at life than supporting some overpriced professional with no reason to practice.
While it's nice that you neuter, with an attitude like that, I don't think you should be having any pets, period.

Not every medical problem is a lost cause. My cat had a urinary tract infection when she was 2 years old. Without treatment she would have died a painful death. Cost me about $250, but I view it as money well spent. With antibiotics, she recovered and is happy and healthy 3 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates