Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:18 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
ok, there are bad apples in every tree, and yes, I hate them as much as the next guy because no one wants a bad cop on the street. But the general public just doesn't get it. You have to understand what these men and women have to deal with daily an the people they contact and the reason why they are TAUGHT to follow a certain procedure. I thought macmeal said it best when he posted:

Americans "challenge" everything. But if a cop tell you to do something, it's not up for debate, and people need to learn that. If they listen and follow the commands given to them, there won't be any issues. If they start to fight, talk back, ask why, you are going to have a problem. Every time. Period.

There is a reason why they don't "ask" to do it, they are "TELLING" you to do it. It is a COMMAND, not a request, and people need to understand that this is someone who represents the LAW and you, as a citizen, are obliged to obey the law.
Oh yes it is. It is VERY much "up for debate". Because cops will LIE to you. They will tell you that you HAVE to do something that you are NOT legally required to do. So a person not familiar with the exact wording of the law gets taken advantage of these "commands". So NO. You can TELL ME all kinds of crap, but I know the law, and I know my rights. I HAVE to know my rights. Cause the cops SURE ain't gonna tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 04:38 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Oh yes it is. It is VERY much "up for debate". Because cops will LIE to you. They will tell you that you HAVE to do something that you are NOT legally required to do. So a person not familiar with the exact wording of the law gets taken advantage of these "commands". So NO. You can TELL ME all kinds of crap, but I know the law, and I know my rights. I HAVE to know my rights. Cause the cops SURE ain't gonna tell you.
let me know how good it feels when you get tazed.......

Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:

I HAVE to know my rights. Cause the cops SURE ain't gonna tell you.
Which is exactly why the ACLU passes out cards telling you your rights when confronted by police. Every police department has a public information office, which goes to schools, fairs, etc., but isn't it funny that the police NEVER pass out cards telling you your rights when confronted by the police. Ever wonder why? Because it is too hard for them to intimidate people who know their rights.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
let me know how good it feels when you get tazed.......
Exactly.
Just the response I would expect.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Which is exactly why the ACLU passes out cards telling you your rights when confronted by police. Every police department has a public information office, which goes to schools, fairs, etc., but isn't it funny that the police NEVER pass out cards telling you your rights when confronted by the police. Ever wonder why? Because it is too hard for them to intimidate people who know their rights.
well if you haven't done anything wrong, what do you have to hide???....

Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
well if you haven't done anything wrong, what do you have to hide???....
Oh another classic. This statement usually follows the question, "Do you mind if I look around in your car"? They only ask cause they ain't got the right. If they had the right, they wouldn't ask.

But the answer is simple.....If I haven't done anything wrong, why even ask? The answer is NO.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Oh another classic. This statement usually follows the question, "Do you mind if I look around in your car"? They only ask cause they ain't got the right. If they had the right, they wouldn't ask.

But the answer is simple.....If I haven't done anything wrong, why even ask? The answer is NO.
If they have probable cause, they can search with or without your permission......

Old 02-08-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
If they have probable cause, they can search with or without your permission......
But the example given stated that nothing was done wrong. So how can that be probable cause?
Oh, and I love the definition of probable cause. I'm sure it varies state-to-state, but here, it's vague and WAY too open to interpretation......there is nothing standard or objective about it. But I guess objectivity is an unrealistic expectation.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
But the example given stated that nothing was done wrong. So how can that be probable cause?
Oh, and I love the definition of probable cause. I'm sure it varies state-to-state, but here, it's vague and WAY too open to interpretation......there is nothing standard or objective about it. But I guess objectivity is an unrealistic expectation.
What the hell are you talking about? What "example"?? There was no example... You said:

Quote:
If they have probable cause, they can search. period.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I have mixed feelings. I realize the police are necessary. I dated a cop for a spell and I know he went through hell. They take a lot of abuse. At the same time the violent power they have scares me. Ideally, people with that kind of power would all be intelligent and emotionally mature. The fact remains that many are not and that is frightening.

I was in court lask week fighting a ticket where the officer was clearly wrong. I won and saved the $200 I would had to have paid. But, having to take a day off work stinks. The officer/city should have to pay me the 300+/day I earn, along with gas money and parking for his error. Of course that's a pipe dream. As I was leaving, one of the men in the court room said, 'ok, remember, big brother is watching you' and that irked me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates