Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times

Advertisements

[quote=user_id;8499710]
Quote:
Alcohol was legal for centuries before prohibition, so there is a major difference between these two in this case.
Umm, how? Marijuana was also legal for centuries. Jefferson grew it. So did Washington. The Mayflower crossed the Atlantic on sails of Hemp. The constitution was written on Hemp paper.
Quote:
Any argument against alcohol can be used as an argument for marijuana.
No, because marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol.

Quote:
Here is the funny thing, I have not argued once that marijuana should be illegal. Not once. I have rather, suggested that the legalization of marijuana would not have a dramatic effect on prison populations, which is the topic of the thread. Its rather amusing that you can't say anything negative about marijuana without its users getting angry and reducing themselves to fallacious arguments and alcohol bashing.
No, but you make stupid comments and post fallacies, and we correct them with facts. Why wouldn't the prison population be reduced with legalization? You've yet to say that...

Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
First of all my profession directly correlates to the debate at hand and if you can't see that then you're a little slow.
You don't go to an electrician to ask questions about your plumbing. K thanks.
Firstly, this is known as an appeal to authority, its a fallacy. Your profession alone does not support your arguments, logic stands on its own. Secondly, "Heathcare professional" says very little. That is extremely generic and can include anything from a pee handler to a neurosurgeon. I suspect, if you did something important you would have used a less generic title. But either way, its an appeal to authority.

Quote:
As for your source it concluded that the memory was impaired several days after HEAVY, LONG TERM, use AND that it is completely reversible within a week a quitting, after which they couldnt tell a difference between them and non smoker.
And that is exactly what I said. There are a number of articles that show evidence for long term effects though. I picked this article because even it shows that short-term marijuana does depress mental abilities. That is to say, it makes you dumber in some sense.

Quote:
You're telling me that you could do that? LOL and just as a little something extra
I have said more than once that "overdosing on marijuana is nearly impossible".

Anyhow, I have no idea what your point in listing the other stuff was.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times

it does take an effin genius to realize that legalizing pot will reduce prison populations. But apparently some people are just a tad slow.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Umm, how? Marijuana was also legal for centuries. Jefferson grew it. So did Washington. The Mayflower crossed the Atlantic on sails of Hemp. The constitution was written on Hemp paper.
I think it was obvious, but I'm talking about alcohol and marijuana as used as a controlled mind altering substance. In terms of Western culture it is only some what recently that Marijuana has been widely used as an intoxicant. Alcohol has a long cultural history in the west as an intoxicant, marijuana does not. This has a big effect on how well the culture will deal with its use and to what degree it will be abused, hence analogy between the two is not particularly good. The legalization of marijuana may not lead to the same results.

Even in cultures that use heavy intoxicants, inducing a new one can be rather disastrous.

Quote:
No, because marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol.
I do not agree with this. Marijuana and alcohol have different pros and cons, but in the aggregate they are fairly similar in their danger.

Quote:
No, but you make stupid comments and post fallacies, and we correct them with facts. Why wouldn't the prison population be reduced with legalization? You've yet to say that...
I have not given any fallacious arguments (I'm refer to arguments here...), I do not think I have posted any inaccurate facts either. "Why wouldn't the prison population be reduced....". That is not what I said. I suggested it would not be dramatic effect on prison populations and I have already stated why I think this. Its two fold:

1.) In most areas, people currently are not jailed for minor marijuana violations.
2.) Of the people that are in jail currently for marijuana related charges are largely big dealers. The vast majority of these people are gang or mafia members, they will be criminal regardless of the marijuana.

There are undoubtedly some small time dealers that get put in jail that are not criminal other than their marijuana charges, but I think this is a very small number. Most are either not in jail in the first place or are likely to be in jail regardless. As I suggested previously, it seems you guys are under the impression that people that were just caught with a little pot are servicing major time in jail. They are not, most large metro areas don't even bother arresting these people.

PS. nitokenshi, arrests do not equal jail time.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

PS. nitokenshi, arrests do not equal jail time.
Ugh if you are arrested where do you go?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
there is literally NO BENEFIT to keeping marijuana illegal.

Prove me wrong.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Ugh if you are arrested where do you go?
Dude, are you serious? You think people are arrested and then are immediately put in jail? What do you believe the courts are for, decoration?

Needless to say, when you get arrested you go to the police station and go to jail if you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail time. Being arrested does not even mean, you've been convicted!! Let alone mean you are going to jail. Police stations are not jails, unless perhaps you are living Mayberry.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Dude, are you serious? You think people are arrested and then are immediately put in jail? What do you believe the courts are for, decoration?

Needless to say, when you get arrested you go to the police station and go to jail if you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail time. Being arrested does not even mean, you've been convicted!! Let alone mean you are going to jail. Police stations are not jails, unless perhaps you are living Mayberry.
HAHAHHAAAAAAA wow just ugh wow!

If you get arrested you go to jail and if you get convicted you go to prison.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
HAHAHHAAAAAAA wow just ugh wow!

If you get arrested you go to jail and if you get convicted you go to prison.
Huh? As your other comment this one is completely mysterious. Firstly, getting arrested does not mean you are going to spend a single second in jail. Secondly, the jails are filled with convicted folks. Jails are used for short-term sentences of particular crimes and people awaiting trial. The latter group can usually post bail to avoid the jail time.

So....posting information an arrests does not give you any idea about how marijuana relates to jail/prison populations.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
there is literally NO BENEFIT to keeping marijuana illegal.

Prove me wrong.
Well, you know, if you are racist, then there are plenty of benefits to keep it illegal.

Just sayin' for all of the racist people out there, they see a benefit.

The above chart may take some deciphering for some people. Blue column is percent (%) of "Illicit Drug Users in America." Red column is percent (%) of "Drug War Prisoners in America." So according to the chart around 57 percent of the drug war prisoners in America are black, even though blacks are only around 11 percent of the "Illicit Drug Users in America."

"Although African Americans comprise only 12.2 percent of the population and 13 percent of drug users, they make up 38 percent of those arrested for drug offenses and 59 percent of those convicted of drug offenses causing critics to call the war on drugs the 'New Jim Crow.' " -- Emphasis added. This info was on the web page as of November, 2004. The "convicted" percentage of 59% may refer to both jail and prison. The 74 percent "sent to prison" in the quote below may not include people sent to jail.
http://www.drugpolicy.org/race

"Blacks constitute 13 percent of all drug users, but 35 percent of those arrested for drug possession, 55 percent of persons convicted, and 74 percent of people sent to prison.(1) ... Notes: 1. Human Rights Watch Report: Punishment and Prejudice: Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System, May 2000 Vol. 12, No. 2 (G)." -- Emphasis added.
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2000/usa and
http://www.drugpolicy.org/race/criminaljust

Al Gore III sentenced to drug program this morning | gore, program, drug - News - OCRegister.com

Al Gore got the same treatment as anyone else would have got? I really doubt it. 100 MPH with weed and 160 unprescribed Vicodins? Most drug laws are subjective and unconstitutional. Decriminalizing Marijuana would save thousands if not millions of man hours better used for getting real criminals off of the streets.

What danger does a responsible Marijuana smoker pose to society?
The ill effects of enforcing Marijuana laws are a greater detriment to society than the drug use itself, without a doubt.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 04-24-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates