Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I didn't say they did. Those were two separate paragraphs. But there are many middle-income households who own extravagant cars, approaching the Hummer in price range.
"Extravagant cars"? It would be interesting to hear what cars, according to you, are "extravagant". And of course, the HUMMER is a given to you so, no need for that fun.

For instance, we have a Ford Expedition and 2 Volvo XC90's. Are these "extravagant" to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Not directly related to the issue, but I think people need to ger over this fixation on "good schools".. Any family that cares whether the schools are good or not, has already shown that they will give the education of their child the proper concern. Any child can learn in any school, and the important element is the home support and the motivation to learn and acquiring good intellectual habits and curiosity.
Not all schools have the ability or capacity, for so many reasons, to deliver quality education.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Extravagant cars"? It would be interesting to hear what cars, according to you, are "extravagant". And of course, the HUMMER is a given to you so, no need for that fun.

For instance, we have a Ford Expedition and 2 Volvo XC90's. Are these "extravagant" to you?
You make an interesting point. I would think that it depends upon your resources.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Are we permanent penny pinchers now? - Top Stocks Blog - MSN Money

so, if we stop spending, what do we become?

China

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:

Do they all run? Then fer sure.

Ok. I'm out.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,320 times
Quote:
The typical middle class American household spends about a quarter of its income on what it needs and 3/4 n what it wants. As a result, the aggregate earning power of the household is about 4 times what it needs to be. The husband and wife both have a full-time job and one of them has a part time job.

This is voluntary. The people choose to waste away their entire lives and neglect their children, becausse they have committed themselves to fulfilling their wants instead of their needs.

Every family in American could have everything it needs for a reasonably secure and healthy and comfortable lifestyle, with about a quarter of our present productivity, and with about a quarter of the man-hours of labor. We weould, economically, be exactly where we are now, except that the toys would be in much lesser abundance. Our labor force would still produce the food, shelter, and simple comforts of life.

A Hummer costs about 4,000 hours of work, not to mention maybe 500 more hours of commuting time getting to and from that work. The Hummer is not a useful tool that yields any needed benefit---it is a conspicuous toy for which Americans are willing to get up in the morning and spend a day at a workplace 500 times in order to pay for it. How much benefit could your dhildren get from that 4,000 hours of quality time with you and your family?

Instead of buying a Hummer, for the same cost you could take off the entire summer and take your whole family on a 3-month backpacking trip around-the world, giving your children an education that they would not get in years of school. The only downside is that your kids would have to be seen being dropped off at school in a '95 Camry, instead of a yellow Hummer.

But these are our priorities, and we have not yet begun to see how dearly we will pay for them.

Ohh lord you just read my mind!

You explained our economic/cultural values better than any Harvard professor.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
"Extravagant cars"? It would be interesting to hear what cars, according to you, are "extravagant". ?
A car that costs more than my '93 Toyota, but does not go faster or start more reliably or brake or steer more efficiently. That would be an extravagant car. You'd get the same reliable transportation that I have, at a much greater cost. Textbook definition of extravagant.

ex⋅trav⋅a⋅gant

–adjective
1. spending much more than is necessary or wise; wasteful:

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
A car that costs more than my '93 Toyota, but does not go faster or start more often or brake or steer more efficiently. That would be an extravagant car. You'd get the same reliable transportation that I have, at a much greater cost.
First off, you give no room for lifestyle - as an example, can your '93 Toyota haul 9,000 pounds. Or, how about packing up a Boy Scout troop for their campouts.

Nor do you give any creedance to wanting comfort when you travel. I can guarantee you that my Volvos are far superior in comfort than your Toyota.
And I can also guarantee that they steer better and brake much better than your Toyota.

Nor, do you give any creedance to safety - my vehicles have air bags all around. Yours does not.

Nor do you allow for wanting a nice car to travel in - You know personal choices.

So, would you like to reconsider your "extravagant" definition?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:37 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I hope you were being facetious; otherwise, the person driving the '89 Chevette might have issue with your definition.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
spending much more than is necessary or wise; wasteful:
Interesting - how about the word "wise"

How would one define "wise"? I suppose based on ones income might fall into this

If someone is earning $8.00 an hour, spending $30,000 on a car might not be wise - yeah, I can go along with this.

But, if someone has income of say, $750,000 a year, spending $60,000 for a car is not "unwise" either in my mind.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates