Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 AM

161 posts, read 418,327 times

Advertisements

it just seems like so much bad stuff is happening and getting worse- weather, killings, torture,etc....
everything bad is getting even more 'badder'!!!
do you think the world will truly end like some are saying?

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-18-2009 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 AM

134 posts, read 332,300 times
Nope
Stop reading and watching the news and go to the beach. You'll feel better if you soak in some negative ions.
If you can't get to a beach, go for a ride in the country.
The world is still a beautiful place to be.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Dear Homesheba;

Seacrets is correct -- kill your TV, look to the world around you for evidence of the good. As a minister once advised me: "Be a good-finder." Everywhere you go, there are kindnesses being performed.

On the off-chance that you do actually encounter something you see as "bad," consider whether good could come from it, too. I've read that Hindi parents see the difficulties in their children's lives as the means to learn from them, and gain Enlightenment. I know from my own experience that the hardships I've faced have made me a kinder, gentler person -- and I've definitely learned compassion for others in the process.

Don't worry -- give it up to a higher power, whoever you worship, and enjoy the days you have while helping others to enjoy theirs.

Be well.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:51 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
it just seems like so much bad stuff is happening and getting worse- weather, killings, torture,etc....
Same question asked in 1933.

USA/World in midst of great depression with an estimated 25% unemployment rate and no safety net.

Polio rampant. Good old days.

Hitler coming to power in Germany... good times to be had by all in a few short years.

Global warming! 1933 still remains the hottest year on record but you know all that global warming stuff.

In 1931 Japan invaded Manchuria followed by the Japanese invasion of China. Good times!

And oh my God, how could I forget about Stalin's famine in the Ukraine that killed millions? Good times, good times.

As bad as the press and government scum would like you to think times are not all that bad right now. If you had it really bad would you have internet access?

Of course it will get better but it won't be government that makes it better it will be the people. Government will claim to be responsible but it will still be the people.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
There is still a lot of good in this world and people who want to keep it that way.
There have always been bad ones who feel no quilt about hurting others to achieve their sinister goals.
I do think there is more of the bad than there used to be.
But I think the good still outweighs the bad.
Just try to protect yourself from the bad part and don't be blind to what is good.
I am one who thinks that events are leading up to the end times.
Moral decay, greed, power, nations lead by extremists that have no regard for human life and are trying to develope weapons that can cause catastrophic mass deaths.
But I won't let myself worry so much that I can't still see the good that is still done on a daily basis by many ordinary people all over the globe.
Are the end times near?
Maybe. It's nearer than it used to be.
But plan on living to an old age and don't give up on trying to have a good life and seeing the good around you.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 AM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
yes things will get better. do what you can to make you, your family and friends happy and try not to worry over much about the other stuff

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,374 times
Everything goes in cycles. . . action creates "reaction"! Obama's election assures the rise of (the voices of) the radical right. These are very predictable things. . . now. . . the climate weather. . . also a cycle, of course, but one that may well have devisting consequences for ours and near future generations. My own opinion is that there is little if anything that can (practially speaking) be done about it. . . so my attitude is "it's been a fun ride". . . when it's time to go, for me personally, or for the human race, or the planet, well. . . it's time to go. . . "life" in one form or another will survive. . . everbody gets to "play". . . . .

Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
I guess it depends on how one looks at things.

On the one hand, as morality continues to slide down, it takes a lot with it- further erroding of the family, society in general...

On the other hand, as cap1717 stated, some of it is cyclical and just seems to go around and around.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,854 times
I believe things continuously improve. As much as I complain, things are much better now than they were ten years ago, all things considered. That's generally true throughout history, execpt fo the sporadic incident of things going to hell in a handbasket (failure of the Roman Empire, The Dark Ages, etc).

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM

25,774 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
Of course it will. At latest, it will end when the sun runs out of gas (damned non-renewable energy, anyway). Of course, it could happen sooner--a 'celestial body' collision, a 'volcanic episode,' a pole shift, etc. Until then, we'll just keep being our know-it-all selves until some cosmic event rains on our parade. Of course, at that point we won't be around to learn that we weren't so universally important or powerful as we thought we were.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-18-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates