Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times

Advertisements

Are you serious? Do you really want to give insurance companies another reason to deny health care coverage?? Who gets to say? The high school educated adjuster handling the claim??
What cost? Do you have any idea how much money these insurance companies make off these policies?? It's a business. And they're in in to make money. These instances of noncompliance don't hurt their profits at all. They make too much money off the premiums paid overall.
The idea of giving them more power to deny claims is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Are you serious? Do you really want to give insurance companies another reason to deny health care coverage?? Who gets to say? The high school educated adjuster handling the claim??
What cost? Do you have any idea how much money these insurance companies make off these policies?? It's a business. And they're in in to make money. These instances of noncompliance don't hurt their profits at all. They make too much money off the premiums paid overall.
The idea of giving them more power to deny claims is just ridiculous.
I agree with you. Health Insurance should never have become a private for-profit business. These insurance companies are raking the money in by not giving necessary and appropriate care. Should these patients be more compliant, sure, but let's not pretend that this is the reason that health insurance is so exorbitant or that's why so many Americans don't have health insurance.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,798 times
This person is not overeight, he actually should gain a few pounds if he wanted to reach his suggested body weight. He works out and walks everywhere or takes the bus. He also uses salt very sparingly due to the fact that too much could end him in the hospital due to water retention.
And he is not willing to discuss any other types of interventions anyway. But it wasn't supposed to be about him, it was just an example.

Let me say for the record, I hate taking pills! I don't go to the Dr unless I am on my deathbed. I don't even buy over the counter meds for myself. I don't even remember the last script I filled for myself. When/if something is prescribed for me, I will research it. I think most people are too willing to take meds rather than work on real issues. Did you see the new sun block pill? It's crazy!

But if you won't take the pills prescribed or talk about other options, why do you keep going to the ER where you know they will give you the very pills you didn't want to take so they can save your life? It just makes no sense. And I don't think he is in search of pain meds, it might be a convenience, but that's it. He has other places to get that fix if you catch my drift, and his hospital meds are very low dose anyway.

And I completely understand the side effect thing about taking one drug to counteract the other. But this isn't a pill to stop your gas that gives you a headache that you then need excedrin for, it is to make your heart pump slower so that you don't have a stroke. It's a life or death drug.

And I hate insurance companies. You pay into them for years, but then when you need treatment, they deny you.

Last edited by 1phwalls; 07-07-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times
So if the ER notices this trend, address it. The solution is not denied coverage. What if the guy finally realizes what he needs? Then he's got no coverage at all???

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Should insurance companies and hospitals have to cover people going back and forth to the the Dr and ER if the person is not taking their medications. I'm not refering to people who have to chose between paying for meds and food or rent or whatever. Just patients who refuse to take medications that are needed to treat their condition.

I am asking this because I work in a healthcare facility. One of our patients has been hospitalized since March for over 60 days on 6 different occasions. Every time he states he does not take his prescriptions, which is obvious when he goes in with his heart rate over 200.

So, if a prescription is filled and testing proves the medication is not in the persons system, should they be cared for?
I think Obama said yes to this already with the public plan... I am curious if he would punish doctors because patients aren't listening to their doctors...

Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,948 times
In terms of medical ethics, I would consider it unethical to refuse life-saving treatment for any reason. The patient's bill of rights allows them to refuse care but it should never be the other way around.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Should insurance companies and hospitals have to cover people going back and forth to the the Dr and ER if the person is not taking their medications. I'm not refering to people who have to chose between paying for meds and food or rent or whatever. Just patients who refuse to take medications that are needed to treat their condition.

I am asking this because I work in a healthcare facility. One of our patients has been hospitalized since March for over 60 days on 6 different occasions. Every time he states he does not take his prescriptions, which is obvious when he goes in with his heart rate over 200.

So, if a prescription is filled and testing proves the medication is not in the persons system, should they be cared for?
Yes they should be cared for..I'll say more later..

Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
More,,,I had blood work done and was told that I was diabetic, I know several people that are diabetic and I had none of the symptoms that any of them had....NOT A ONE...I was given a prescription and after reading the warnings on it there was no way I was going to take it..

I took it over for my daughter to look at it and she asked if they told me to check my blood each time before I took it, well no they didn't..

She let me know that they used this medicine in the hospital and noway should I take it without checking my blood first because if I didn't need it, it could kill me...

I had my blood re-checked and I AM NOT diabetic.. The same lab did the second blood work up.

This time it payed off not taking medication..

I was also give a medication that I think caused more problems with my heart, I saw my medical records and it sure reads that way, they did more test right away and it is in the report...Now I wish that I had paid more attention to those warnings too.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,798 times
Houston 3 - You weren't hospitalized several times for the exact same thing, given the exact same pills that worked, and then refused to take them.

I do see your point, I think everyone should be more involved in their health care. Dr's do make mistakes. Heck, one of my office Dr's keeps confusing 2 of his patients, one is young and black, and one is old and chinese - why can't he keep them straight?

I know a lot of Dr's think they are god, but in reality they are just people to. I'm still trying to figure out how to make them understand that!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
I was given anxiety medication that made me throw up, and it turned out I had hyperthyroid, not anxiety.

I was given antibiotics many times for a re-occuring urinary infection that turned out not to be a urinary infection (nobody bothered to check the actual bacterial results).

My son's doctor asked me to not come back to see him when I questioned using steriod cream on my son's face after a one day rash (the doctor listed other times he thought we disagreed, only one was true). Since I got the diagnosis of eczema for my son's rash, I was able to use natural cream, and the rash went away in 4 days without steroids (and a dermatologist later told me they would not have recommended steroid cream on his face and that it was good I did not do it).

When it seems like one of my kids has an ear infection, I take my them to the doc to confirm it is an ear infection and I also make sure that their ear is not perforated. When the doc prescribes antibiotics, 95% of the time I am able to skip them and cure naturally (my kids are old enough to be able to tell me if they hurt, etc.).

Doctor's are not perfect, and medicine is not perfect (the PRACTICE of medicine!), so I do not think that compliance should be mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates