Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
'

REPLY: Can you suggest methods of peer pressure that would work ?
The N-word is banned by peer pressure and that seems to have very effectively eliminated it from the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The N-word is banned by peer pressure and that seems to have very effectively eliminated it from the language.
Perhaps where you reside.

The "N" word is commonly in use here

Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Let's take the F word:

1) Some people say, "That's a nice bleeping car!" or "I had the best bleeping time of my life when I was on vacation in Hawaii."

2) Some other people say, "Bleep you, you bleeping idiot!"

Now are we going to have some bleeping federal police force write the Number 1 folks up because they are simply adjective-challenged? Obviously, they didn't use the bleeping adjective in a meanspirited way. Or, are we going to take up bleeping expensive court time trying to determine the intent of the bleeper?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post

Once it starts, where would it end? Where could it lead?
REPLY: To a more respectful society ? To a more considerate society ? To give future generations an example of whats right from wrong and how people in the 21st Century got fed up with a Culture bent on morally degrading itself in the name of 'freedom' to act anyway they liked ? To the honoring (hopefully) of ones parents who taught us that using words of filth wasnt at all acceptable ? To practice self control when we get frustrated, persecuted, or upset ?

No no no...we dont want such noble things , do we ?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I may be a Democrat, but even I don't want the gov't dictating what I can and cannot say.
Not even in the front of someones minor children?

I know people that would kick your ass if you used the "F" word in front of their children.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

I know people that would kick your ass if you used the "F" word in front of their children.
So you want to criminalize any behavior that would cause any person to want to kick your ass?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

I guess if I had to weight someone saying the "F" word in front of my kids or saying some of the racist crap I have read on these debates, I'll pick the F-word. As a pp said, you can't just make into law anything you find disagreeable. And if someone is so violent that they woudl physically hurt someone else for saying something, then they are the ones who need to fined or arrested. My children know that cuss words are used for anger and are not nice words. We don't use them in front of our kids and when they hear them they know it is not a kind thing to do. But more importantly, they know that laying hands on someone is NEVER ok. I just find it interesting that you are so against people using the F-word in front of kids, but seem unphased by people who are so hypocritical with their own morals.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Are you condoning vile and foul language then ? Or do you find these 2 words in particular just a casual form of expression / fun descriptive words ?
Goes a bit further than that (actually a lot further), it is a freedom we are guaranteed in this country by our Constitution, and I have a serious problem with anyone that wants to whittle away at our rights.

I defend your right to say your piece about what words should be criminalize, but also understand I also defend anyone's right to express their opinion about your opinion, including the use of those words in doing so

See how "freedom of speech" works

Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
This is already against the law in Virginia and its a $500 dollar fine. It is not very well enforced outside of VA Beach. I dont think ANYONE should tell me what i can and can not say.

For all of those who cite small children's ears as a good reason for regulation, can you honestly say you've NEVER said these words at your own house with your children home?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This is already against the law in Virginia and its a $500 dollar fine. It is not very well enforced outside of VA Beach. I dont think ANYONE should tell me what i can and can not say.

For all of those who cite small children's ears as a good reason for regulation, can you honestly say you've NEVER said these words at your own house with your children home?

My parents called them 'sentence enhancers' and sprinkled them liberally into chats. In fact, my family could probably put the Osbournes to shame....

Since I did hear those words at such a young age, my parents taught me that there is a time and place for using them, and I should NEVER use them around strange adults, teachers, loudly in public etc. etc. and it worked great. When I'm visiting my parents, we cuss up a storm, but the minute we leave that house, civility is restored

We were simply taught to know better than to use vulgarity around people we didn't know, because we couldn't be sure about how they would react.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates