Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So you want to criminalize any behavior that would cause any person to want to kick your ass?
Read into it what you want!

"to criminalize' were not my words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Perhaps where you reside.

The "N" word is commonly in use here
I've only heard the "N" word once in the last 10 years and it was a liberal that used it and he was surprised that we said something to him about it..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I guess if I had to weight someone saying the "F" word in front of my kids or saying some of the racist crap I have read on these debates, I'll pick the F-word. As a pp said, you can't just make into law anything you find disagreeable. And if someone is so violent that they woudl physically hurt someone else for saying something, then they are the ones who need to fined or arrested. My children know that cuss words are used for anger and are not nice words. We don't use them in front of our kids and when they hear them they know it is not a kind thing to do. But more importantly, they know that laying hands on someone is NEVER ok. I just find it interesting that you are so against people using the F-word in front of kids, but seem unphased by people who are so hypocritical with their own morals.
What are you smoking?

"Originally Posted by culturedmom
I may be a Democrat, but even I don't want the gov't dictating what I can and cannot say."

^ was your post and I replyed and you came up with all of that other crap!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
You can't and shouldn't think for one minute that what comes out of a person's mouth with regard to cuss words can be controlled. Although the words sound offensive, we do have freedom of speech. I know, it is kind of a weak answer to your question but very true. You don't have to be a Father paddling down a lazy river with his kids in a canoe and hear this talk, heck, you can be stopped at a red light and hear it and sometimes from middle school kids to boot. To me, there are words spoken every day that I find more offensive than the "F" word or the "B" words. I hate to hear someone called "Stupid", "Retarted" or "That's so Gay"...what the hell is that all about??? What's so Gay??? I hate even more the words that are used to describe a person's ethnic background...the "N" word, or calling someone a "cracker" or a "towel head"...come on...these make the "F" word pale in comparison.

I don't have any young kids any longer but when they were young and those words did fly out of their mouths, I explained to them exactly what they meant and how bad they were. Once again the old educate your kids at home rule does come into play here.

As for the two guys standing on the shore of this river you were on yelling the "F" word, I wonder what kind of boredom has set into their lives that has made them think that this particular pastime was cool or fun??

Old 07-16-2009, 01:39 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Goes a bit further than that (actually a lot further), it is a freedom we are guaranteed in this country by our Constitution, and I have a serious problem with anyone that wants to whittle away at our rights.
Do you honestly believe the Founders of this once great Nation who all believed in high moral ethics and who wanted Christian-Judeo morals for their generation and future generations, had in mind the 'F' and 'S' words for you to use at will in any situation you felt like thru the drafting of the U.S. Constitution ?! Im sorry to tell you that you are part of the problem with America as an irretreivable trash-heap. . Its always best not to be of a reprobate mind .. for yourself, your family, and as a Nation....instead of pretending freedom laws 'gaurantee you the right' to talk vile.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This is already against the law in Virginia and its a $500 dollar fine. It is not very well enforced outside of VA Beach.'

I dont think ANYONE should tell me what i can and can not say.

For all of those who cite small children's ears as a good reason for regulation, can you honestly say you've NEVER said these words at your own house with your children home?
1. Kudos to Virginia. I hope it spreads like ticks on a sow.
2. If you dont know the difference between right from wrong speech, then you need as many people as possible encouraging you to stop suppressing your moral conscience . If it requires your pocketbook getting involved, so much the better in order to turn you into a more standup person.
3. Even if Parents have said the 'F' or 'S' word in front of their family as a slipup , how does using it as fluent language make it a correct thing to do ? How do two wrong things turn it into a correct thing ?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
You're proposing a law prohibiting certain words from being spoken? I wish you all the luck in the world. That's so unrealistic, it wouldn't even pass as fiction!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Read into it what you want!

"to criminalize' were not my words.
They are the words of the title of this thread, to which your response was addressed, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You're proposing a law prohibiting certain words from being spoken? I wish you all the luck in the world. That's so unrealistic, it wouldn't even pass as fiction!
Its because America has grown to become a willfully undisciplined, apathetic, society which twists its Freedom Laws so one can behave in any fashion desired ; with a spine-less Government that isnt any better.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Im speaking primarily of the 'F' word and 'S' word. It seems in the past when folks used these words, it was done with some sense of awareness, consideration for others, and was said somewhat quietly. Today, the frequency and loudness of these 2 words in particular, seem to rear their head in virtually any and every situation . I remember reading in the newspaper about a Father who was paddling a canoe down a quiet river with his family of young children in Michigan...only to come upon a few Guys who were echoing the 'F' word up and down that river from where they were on-shore ; when the Father asked if they could stop using that word because his children were present, one of the Guys told him to 'F' off.

Is it time for these 2 words to be unlawful to use in public , with heavy fines appropriated in the name of common decency ?
Um, NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates