Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 AM

214 posts, read 560,353 times

Advertisements

Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and whatever else lurks out there

Lets discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
Seems like texing, facebooking, and myspacing has led some people to become social retards in a way. In the real world you dont get five to ten minutes to come up with an appropriate response in a social situation........

Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
It depends on the situation.

I have a lot of friends who live in places that are a days drive or more away from me. Myspace and facebook are good ways for us to stay in touch, and be a normal part of one anothers lives. However, I do have friends here as well, and we never use myspace. We do text, a lot, and email periodically, but we always get together a couple of times a month.

The problem is when your online life becomes the only life you have. I struggle with this and my job, as my job is very tech oriented. I find myself doing work, off the clock, at odd hours on the weekend.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Seems like texing, facebooking, and myspacing has led some people to become social retards in a way. In the real world you dont get five to ten minutes to come up with an appropriate response in a social situation........

There is a difference between "making" someone a social retard, and "accommodating" someone who is already a social retard.

Is a person who can't see that difference a "mental retard"? Why is it PC to call someone a social retard, but not OK to call someone a mental retard?

Look how many millions of people have abandoned their "real life" friends, in favor of a new kind of socialization. Is this because "real life" friends are completely burdensome louts that most people hate putting up with and being obligated to? Maybe it's all our friends who are "social retards", and not the people who have blown them off.

I discovered, in the decade before the Internet, that the answering machine was more destructive to social relationships than the internet ever became. I gave up trying to have friends, because I could not call them on the phone. All I could do was leave them a message. When they called back, they got my answering machine. The internet improved upon that---now I can leave a message that contains all the articles of friendship communications.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-03-2009 at 06:20 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Kind of off topic but a lot of my ex friends are ex friends because they spent too much time on the internet.

"hay want to go out tonight"
"no, im busy"

I guess busy meant playing internet video games.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
For the most part I find those sites to be distasteful - time sucking distractions that open up a pandora's box of fractured relationships and temptations. Yes, that exists in "real life" and on in the internet in general, but it seems hyper-concentrated, reinforced, and even condoned at the social networking sites. Too much of a not-so-good thing, IMO.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
I heard it say that the information you give on these sites can be used against you at some point. So that doesn't make these sites very attractive to me.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
I don't know, let's see, the last three nights I:
1. got some friends together to go bowling
2. went to a friend's party
3. went to a concert and hung out with some people there ...

all thanks to facebook's fancy little event scheduler. it's an easy way to get people together to do "real life" things and know who's going to be there...

but, you know, the internet's "teh bad and scary!"

Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and whatever else lurks out there

Lets discuss
It all depends on how you use them.

My wife & I are on Facebook, primarily for the purpose of communication with our grown children. It has also been wonderful to re-connect with tons of high school and college friends - all of whom, mysteriously, are starting to look pretty danged old!

On the other hand, there are a LOT of young people who put FAR too much personal information on their sites. I can't help but think these aren't a pedophile's dream come true.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
They cater to the ego, and often attract all the wrong people. It can be a huge waste of time. Some people want to be "sought after" but they need to be careful what they wish for. 90% of the new people on the friend list won't be around in a year, and most of them wouldn't bail you out in a pinch. It's all too "high schoolish." I have a life without any of those "ME ME" sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates