Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

At the time it was written, that was the norm for the day. If anything, these books should be out in the open and paraded about, touted as examples of a shameful past when ignorance ruled.
:
Ignorance continues to rule.

How were the Tintin books different from those Danish cartoons that wound the Arabs up in a jihadist frenzy? Will the same PC Mafia believe that any cartoons making fun of Arabs or Muslims should be placed in a locked room at the library? Ban Fox News clips on YouTube?

Examples of a shameful present, when ignorance rules. Who are we to cast shame on Tintin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I don't like it on college campuses.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:47 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ignorance continues to rule.

How were the Tintin books different from those Danish cartoons that wound the Arabs up in a jihadist frenzy? Will the same PC Mafia believe that any cartoons making fun of Arabs or Muslims should be placed in a locked room at the library? Ban Fox News clips on YouTube?

Examples of a shameful present, when ignorance rules. Who are we to cast shame on Tintin?
I hope you're not trying to compare religious intolerance overseas with racial hatred in the US.

Compared to "yesterday", we have come a long way.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Tintin had nothing to do with racial hatred in the USA, nor anyplace else that I'm aware of. Americans figured out how to hate other races, without the help of a Belgian cartoonist.

When Americans kill people, it is of little interest to them whether it because of racial hatred or religious intolerance. Proceeding from one to the other is not "coming a long way".

Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM

62 posts, read 163,205 times
Oh come on, this is much ado about nothing. There is no censorship in the U.S. Anyone who thinks there is censorship is a ******* ******* who has their head up their ****.

Now in the former Soviet Union on the other hand, ther

Moderator cut: off-topic

And that’s about all I have to say about that.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Censorship is interesting... a few parents complained and we had Huckleberry Finn taken off of our reading list in...Jr. High I think, maybe earlier because of some if the 'language' and 'situations' in the book. Wouldn't you know, all of us kids ran out and read Huckleberry Finn as quickly as we could

The more you tell a kid they shouldn't do something (especially without any good reason except 'because I said so') the more the kid is going to be drawn to doing that thing.

Plus... as they old saying goes, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If we keep ignoring and censoring the bad things that may have happened in the past, they will keep repeating themselves.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM

My college library is having a "Banned Books Week" next week, during which there will be readings of books that were banned in 2008 and 2009. (This is at a college in Texas!!!! So maybe they are only banned textbooks.) I wasn't aware that any (other) books were banned in the past two years, so it will be interesting to attend.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
I never understand censorship, by doing so many have made certain books have more perceived value and people are more likely to read them. Also, it's not like some one else isn't going to come up with the same thing pretty rapidly (especially with a population of 300 million) and what offends one person is not what offends another, so who can judge what needs to be censored?

I am for no censorship at all, let people read and think about what they will. I think there should be ratings, because some books are really written so badly, but people can decide on their own to read it. I also think it's incorrect to assume that books make people do terrible things, that's utterly ridiculous because it precludes all parts of free will and all forms of responsibility. People who already think a certain way will look for more reading materials in the same fashion.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:00 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Grapes of Wrath is an excellent piece of historical literature. Why would that ever be banned? Oh, maybe it's because the essence of the struggles therein still hold true today, making our citizens seem as oppressed as they were 70 years ago.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Grapes of Wrath is an excellent piece of historical literature. Why would that ever be banned? Oh, maybe it's because the essence of the struggles therein still hold true today, making our citizens seem as oppressed as they were 70 years ago.
That one boggled me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates