Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

The story of Joshua Bell continues to circulate in chain emails. The concert violinist who played incognito in the Metro station and was ignored.
http://holeinthedonut.com/2009/09/12...metro-station/
And then there is Susan Boyle. There are probably at least a hundred, maybe a thousand undiscovered singers in Britain who can sing as well or better.

What, really, is the basis upon which people recognize beauty (or other qualities) and how easily can it be manipulated? And why is it manipulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
I always thought the manipulation by the press/media has much to do with it.
I agree, for every Susan Boyle, there are thousands better, and probably just singing in church.But who can forget her debut that hit the masses.Not a dry eye around. Great marketing as it appealed to "she is one of us".
I dont understand how a "singer" like Brittany Spears etc can sell records. But ITs a package that is sold to the public, usually hand picked by music execs to specific age groups and "they" decide who has the star potential. The bottom line is money to be made. A huge industry with millions of dollars at stake guides the hand of "fate".

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,937 times
it's the same with famous violinists, there are others who are equally good or better. it's politics as well.

the other issue is social conditioning and what society has been accustomed to consider as truth is often just a perception. there is a constant dynamic of ignoring the elephant in the room or biased opinions, and the emperor has no clothes syndromes. what you will notice is how much prejudice there is in society which people believe to be absolute facts.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The story of Joshua Bell continues to circulate in chain emails. The concert violinist who played incognito in the Metro station and was ignored.
http://holeinthedonut.com/2009/09/12...metro-station/
And then there is Susan Boyle. There are probably at least a hundred, maybe a thousand undiscovered singers in Britain who can sing as well or better.

What, really, is the basis upon which people recognize beauty (or other qualities) and how easily can it be manipulated? And why is it manipulated?
It's who ya know, like everything else.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Modern Americans' cultural appreciation is a mile wide and an inch deep.

We have access to hundreds of years of cultural works - food, drink, music, visual art, scuplture, film, literature, architecture, etc..

The average person lacks the time, the will, and the capability to truly appreciate everything the world has to offer. Most people seem satisfied with whatever floats their way on television.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 PM

America has become all flash, and no substance. But that is easy to repair.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,937 times
the world is becoming more modern every day and it will continue. all those cultural elements of the past can be accessed by those who choose it but people live differently than the past. accept it.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
the world is becoming more modern every day and it will continue. all those cultural elements of the past can be accessed by those who choose it but people live differently than the past. accept it.
Not only do I accept people living in, and for today, I actually like it. I have my own value system, that does not depend on any one anyhow. So let them find out on their own. I sure did. go for it.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:29 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
It's about who you know, how you look and for certain fields, how big of a windbag you are, which is one of the reasons I abandoned paying attention to hollywood many years ago. I can count the number of new movies I've seen over the past ten years on one hand.

I am a bit more into music, but only because I'm a musician. I pay no attention to pop music at all. There is very little talent (but of course, talent is subjective). Most pop 'musicians' or 'singers' couldn't even point out the difference between a diminished 7 and a half diminished. The pop music biz seems to be a contest to see how lacking in talent you can be and still make it. I'm not saying there are no talented musicians or singers out there; I'm just saying talent is valued much less than it once was.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:02 PM

It's just "Show business"--no skill required, just put on a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates