Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,762 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering something; with so many of us using the internet for various reasons, do you think the information you get in some way may control your actions? For example: You think about relocating to another state/town far far away. You start your online research and you find all the good and bad. You then make a decision based on the data you retrieved online. Would this same decision had been made 20 years ago if you did not have the internet to influence you? Also, couldn't this alter your entire life given the choice you made based on online information?
I know this seems really stupid, but I am just curious to hear some of your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,626,992 times
I think it's a question of how much you let the internet influence your decisions. For example, I'm not what you could call a "computer person." The internet wouldn't be my first resource, so it wouldn't influence me that much. Especially compared to people who live their lives in front of a computer screen.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
The internet does not influence me. Information and data do. The internet enables me to retrieve that information more efficiently than in the past. It does not alter my own responsibility to process that data and make judicious decisions based upon it.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The internet does not influence me. Information and data do. The internet enables me to retrieve that information more efficiently than in the past. It does not alter my own responsibility to process that data and make judicious decisions based upon it.
And that's how I see myself as well. I have seen (especially on CD) people decide not to do certain things because a few posters will shoot them with negatives. They would have to be weak minded to let a few people sway them, but it happens.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,006,263 times
One things is for sure, the internet has put allot of data at your fingertips, one has to be careful on what they receive when doing a search, not all the information is accurate, there is allot of misleading info out there also.

You have to admit, it sure has made the world seem allot smaller, thank you Al Gore for the internet. LOL

Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have been wondering something; with so many of us using the internet for various reasons, do you think the information you get in some way may control your actions? For example: You think about relocating to another state/town far far away. You start your online research and you find all the good and bad. You then make a decision based on the data you retrieved online. Would this same decision had been made 20 years ago if you did not have the internet to influence you? Also, couldn't this alter your entire life given the choice you made based on online information?
I know this seems really stupid, but I am just curious to hear some of your thoughts on this.
An interesting thought. I know I've been using the Internet (including this site) to help me find information to make decisions as to where to move. I didn't get the basic idea from the Internet, but I came across C-D because I googled a question and this site came up. I've since found a lot of information that has helped point me in the direction of where I want to go, but the decision is made after checking things out in REAL LIFE.

So to me, it's another source of information, but the germ of the idea was there in the first place and the actual seeking of confirmation of the information was done in RL.

Still, I am very happy to have had the information available. The Internet also saves a lot of time.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM

25,855 posts, read 18,882,275 times
Quote:
Well, as for your example about moving: I think the internet can take some of the risk out of a move. Thirty years ago, other than visiting a place, you just had to sort of take a chance and go there. If you liked it, great. If not, you wasted a lot of cash and had to move away. I wouldn't say that the internet dictates to me where I want to move, but I have certainly ruled some ideas out based on climate, crime and demographic data. Saves me wasting my time and money going there. So, personally, I appreciate the information being available.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM

622 posts, read 1,726,050 times
Internet is actually some of best information out there.

I think people should be wary on their findings and use common sense though.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:54 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,231,928 times
Quote:
Me, 20 years ago would have just taken off and landed. And that is what I did. Life was great. Now, I have a little to lose and I can't do that.
This is the way that I usually do it, pick a place, move into a real cheap apartment and stay there until I learn my way around.

With the computer, I can set up appointments to see apartments before I arrive. I can find the grocery stores, the road changes, delays and current politics. So, it does alter my choice in this way.

Does it "control"? no.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, as for your example about moving: I think the internet can take some of the risk out of a move. Thirty years ago, other than visiting a place, you just had to sort of take a chance and go there. If you liked it, great. If not, you wasted a lot of cash and had to move away. I wouldn't say that the internet dictates to me where I want to move, but I have certainly ruled some ideas out based on climate, crime and demographic data. Saves me wasting my time and money going there. So, personally, I appreciate the information being available.
And with google earth you can take a virtual trip to the front door, street, and neighborhood in just seconds!
I do that all the time, find a "nice" apartment on Craigslist, google earth/maps the address and take a peek around the area. If I see 7 cars on jack stands at a 2 bedroom house next to a liquor store with snot nosed kids throwing rocks at cars I know to keep on looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates