Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I think the gist of this thread is a bit mean spirited. I'm Latina and if someone made a thread like this about Latinas, I wouldn't like it. Just saying.
I agree.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 PM

21 posts, read 86,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
But we do have to be careful talking about "Asian culture" here in the U.S. when most Asian-Americans are probably third generation or go even further back. Those folks aren't Asian, they're American. It would be like saying I'm Welsh even though my ancestors from that country emigrated to the U.S. during the 17th century. I don't feel part of any Welsh culture and the only thing Asian about Asian-Americans may be their surnames or their physical characteristics.

Thanks for pointing this out, I wish more Americans would feel this way. I mean Asian Americans can never be seen as the norm, or simply as American, yet white Americans will always be the "true" Americans for some strange reason.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Grant Imahara is definitely American.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
I think asian women are absolutely beautiful and the ultimate in femininity. Most are highly studious and intelligent, have a love for classical music. Humility, education, and family come to mind.

If they are not prominent in Hollywood, it's because Hollywood continues to perpetuate the notion that blond, blue-eyed women are the high standard. Quite a shame. I think this speaks to the shallowness, tackiness, low standards, and poor taste of Hollywood rather than any negative reflection on the desirability of asian woman.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,581 times
Perhaps not many Asian women want to get into the industry.
A part of it has to do with what Hollywood deems as beautiful too.
There aren't a whole lot of full Asian actresses in Hollywood but there are quite a few mix ones. Maybe not in movies, but TV.

These are who I can think up off the top of my head.
If you want to know more about them and what they've done you'll have to look that up yourself. You gotta keep in mind that in the US Indians are lumped in with other Asians.

Full:

- Lucy Lui
- Sandra Oh
- Yunjin Kim (the Korean lady from Lost)
- Brenda Song (Disney channel star)
- Mina Na (I think her current role is on ER)
- Jamie Chung
- Margaret Cho (she's on a TV show now)
- Tia Carrere (maybe she should be in the mix list but I don't know)
- Bai Ling

Mix:

- Devon Aoki
- Kristin Kreuk
- Ann Curry (not really an actress but she's on TV)
- Hoku Ho (wouldn't know by the blond hair she likes to sport)
- Jennifer Tilly
- Kelly Hu
- Lisa Ling (reporter)
- Michelle Branch (musician)
- Stephanie Jacobsen (new Melrose Place)
- Lindsay Price (Eastwick)
- Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse)
- Norah Jones (musician)
- Marie Digby (musician)

I've noticed more in the industry over the last few years, but I could only be noticing because I tend to look out for other Asian-Americans.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
Your thread is obtuse at best and comically naive. Asian women are not considered so desirable. actually they are considered the LEAST desirable by most people. what society do you live in? the real one or the one in your imagination?

j
I don't agree with that at all. You are wrong, plain and simple.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
What makes the OP think that just because they are not all acting in HOLLYWOOD, that there aren't any Asian movie-stars. Here we go again thinking that Hollywood is the only place to be a movie-star and nowhere else in the world. Being a big movie star in the US, does not mean you are any better then a movie star in Japan or China. Everybody do not want to live in the US. Everybody do not dream of Hollywood.
Get off your high horse.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
Perhaps not many Asian women want to get into the industry.
A part of it has to do with what Hollywood deems as beautiful too.
There aren't a whole lot of full Asian actresses in Hollywood but there are quite a few mix ones. Maybe not in movies, but TV.

These are who I can think up off the top of my head.
If you want to know more about them and what they've done you'll have to look that up yourself. You gotta keep in mind that in the US Indians are lumped in with other Asians.

Full:

- Lucy Lui
- Sandra Oh
- Yunjin Kim (the Korean lady from Lost)
- Brenda Song (Disney channel star)
- Mina Na (I think her current role is on ER)
- Jamie Chung
- Margaret Cho (she's on a TV show now)
- Tia Carrere (maybe she should be in the mix list but I don't know)
- Bai Ling

Mix:

- Devon Aoki
- Kristin Kreuk
- Ann Curry (not really an actress but she's on TV)
- Hoku Ho (wouldn't know by the blond hair she likes to sport)
- Jennifer Tilly
- Kelly Hu
- Lisa Ling (reporter)
- Michelle Branch (musician)
- Stephanie Jacobsen (new Melrose Place)
- Lindsay Price (Eastwick)
- Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse)
- Norah Jones (musician)
- Marie Digby (musician)

I've noticed more in the industry over the last few years, but I could only be noticing because I tend to look out for other Asian-Americans.
But if someone were asked to name 10 beautiful celebrities (of any race), these women's names would not be on the list. Why?

Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
The most pleasant thing I have learned in almost forty years of work-related traveling in all parts of the globe is that female beauty comes in all races and colors. The world is filled with beautiful, desirable women. Trying to differentiate between them by race is akin to trying to decide which falling snowflake is the most perfectly formed.

I say just go outside and feel the flakes as they gently brush your face and melt on your lips. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think asian women are absolutely beautiful and the ultimate in femininity. Most are highly studious and intelligent, have a love for classical music. Humility, education, and family come to mind.

If they are not prominent in Hollywood, it's because Hollywood continues to perpetuate the notion that blond, blue-eyed women are the high standard. Quite a shame. I think this speaks to the shallowness, tackiness, low standards, and poor taste of Hollywood rather than any negative reflection on the desirability of asian woman.
Your response plays right into the bigotry of the OP. It is filled with stereotypes and propaganda of a different sort.

Some are feminine some are less so.
Many are good students many wish they did nto have such expectations placed upon them for being the model minority.
Some love rap and technobop far more than classical music.
Many lack humility
Many are overschooled and undereducated.

Some are gifted athletes, plus-sized, and can swear up a storm, too!

Don't make the mistake of re-stereotyping Asians into some monolithic group, when in fact they come from places as diverse as can be found anywhere.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates