Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:54 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times

Advertisements

If you could, would you wish to escape the experience of the process of death, dying? Assisted suicide? Or do you think the process of dying is natural and should be experienced?

I am terminally ill, neurological illness that will progress over the next 3-4 years. When I was first told I would not have a lengthy life span, it rocked my world with fear. But as some time has passed, I no longer fear my death and in some unusual way, welcome the experience. I can't say I look forward to it, but am curious about the process and what happens just after it. This is amazing to me and I can't help that think the human mind is preconditioned to accept death once the point of no return has been passed. I used to lay awake at night thinking of death and fearing it, before I was even sick. Now that its here and there is no turning back, I have no fear at all. I can't explain it. We saw it with Ted Kennedy, Patrick Swayze, who ultimately came to terms and found acceptance and peace in their demise.

Those that are against the "right to die" always argue that death is part of life's experience and that many positive aspects can be attributed to the process of death. While I personally support the idea that if someone is suffering from a terminal illness with no chance for recovery, that they should indeed have the right to end it, I also agree with the argument that death is part of life's experience.

We will all face it, sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I think the process of being torn apart by lions and hyenas is part of the Impala process of death, but I doubt that there is much of a lobby in support of savoring the experience.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
Interesting question. I guess I see death as a part of life. We sure aren't here forever. Having had my grandfather live with me and passed at almost 92 and was with my mom at 84 when she passed I saw it as a peaceful event. I guess I believe in a here after so I guess I'm not afraid. I think most people struggle with who they leave behind. My grandkids are my life right now and they just tug on my heartstrings. I'm glad you are not fearful at this point....

Old 11-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think the process of being torn apart by lions and hyenas is part of the Impala process of death, but I doubt that there is much of a lobby in support of savoring the experience.
Actually if you read stories by those who were attcked by wild beasts, and lived to tell, they reach a point where they accepted their fate. People on planes that crash and live, speak of a sense of acceptance and peace.

I think there is a difference between an accidental death, instant, versus an illness and some time between realization and actual death.

My point is, that once you know for sure, its there, I think the human mind adapts and accepts it. Perhaps it is a built in mechanism of the brain.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I disagree with the OP.

Life as we know it begins with the first breath drawn after birth.

Life as we know and experience it is waking up every morning knowing that you are still alive.

A person does not experience "death" by dying for a time period and then suddenly starting to breath again while considering it a life experience.

When the heart stops beating then a person is clinically DEAD.

I can relate and be sympathetic as my late wife was in the same status for 5 months.

She was suffering with pain but still new that she had done some good in her life time and was at peace with herself.

I do wish the best for your remaining yrs.

As for me...I do also have a limited time here counting the fingers on one hand.

Steve

Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Thoughts to the OP regarding serious illness and being thoughtful about the whole business.
I think death is, by definition, an inevitable part of life, after all, it's the one constant we all share. As others have pointed out, many people don't have the experience of knowing they have a specific limited time with a specific illness leading to death.
I personally feel that, if I had the kind of medical info the OP had, I'd make my own decision. Experiencing "the process of dying" is not a requirement of death being part of life. We all die. I personally believe in rational suicide, because I don't have any interest in experiencing severe suffering and/or a certain level of compromise in independent life (I'm thinking ALS, Huntington's, and other things that can cause one to know death is coming but when?)
I worked in hospice for two years, and I occasionally do hospice-type work with Alzheimer's patients. I see no personal value in suffering, going down for the count long and slow, losing what makes a person himself/herself. Of course, there are compromises as time goes on, due to age or illness. Some people have a religious belief that they *should* endure whatever is going on until they happen to die. (Of course, these same people often take part in whatever curative/preventative measures there are available, do not accept an unmediated death until they have to).
If I am faced with such a situation, I expect to set up a rational suicide plan and go through with it while I still can and when/if my life is unacceptable to me. I do not have any spiritual/religious beliefs against this.
I take my hat off to the OP who is facing this very real situation and sharing thoughts and listening to others. Few questions are as important.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
I feel everything we do in life, is just to prepare us for our death. to die with a smile on ones face, would be an indicator of a happy fulfilling life well spent. But to die, clutching at damp sheets, in fear, would tell me the person has unfinished work here.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I feel everything we do in life, is just to prepare us for our death. to die with a smile on ones face, would be an indicator of a happy fulfilling life well spent. But to die, clutching at damp sheets, in fear, would tell me the person has unfinished work here.

I can't say I've lived a perfect life, but all in all, I think I've done much good. I don't have any major regrets, but some minor ones for sure. I've never turned away a person in need of help. I've always put my needs second to the loved ones around me, I've helped the homeless, took in foster kids a few times, volunteered more then my fair share. I was faithful to my now ex-wife and family and always respected my parents and authority, but held my right to protest wrongs, I suppose.

I think my personal regrets are the typical classic ones. Like wishing I had spent more time with family, realizing there is more to life then work, appreciating the smaller, meaningful things in life more. Stuff like that. But I can say with a straight face, I've been good to my fellow man and always tried to do what's right.

Now I sit and wonder what's on the other side? Blackness and void, or something so grand it will blow my mind?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
I'm suppose to go in for test Dec. 14,if they don't turn out well I'll only have couple more years here.

Yes it bothers me and I would like to live longer but what makes me so special that I'm not to die,we all die.

My wife says she thinks I have tried to live my life every day like I was dieing.Hey its been fun.

Stone_Sculpture_Artist Prayers for you.

hillman

Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Its definitely part of the experience. Life begins with birth and ends with death...taxes in between, you know the rest. All of us will die but most of us go around on a day to day basis not realizing that. Its almost like most people are living in some type of sureal dream. I have heard from a lot of people who developed terminal illnesses (like AIDS) that they were happier than before and almost consider it a blessing in that they have time to prepare everything because they can accurately predict when they will die. I can understand that viewpoint.

I can also relate to some of that from having near death experiences myself a few times. One thing I came to realize so far is that the less you feel you have here, on earth left in the material plane, the easier it is for you to really know yourself and see things/people for what/who they really are. People who are wrapped up in things like ambitions, money, and acting as if they'll live forever will never truly understand peace or happiness. A few years of real happiness and being at peace are better than living an entire life in fear and materialism...regardless of what awaits us in the afterlife. Use your time left wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates