Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ive said this before, but I dont see how anyone can justify permitting abortion while fining fathers for abandoning their obligation to provide financial support. If fathers dont want to physically work to have their wages garnered, or face imprisonment, that too is forcing someone to do something with their body, that they do not necessarily want to do. Shouldnt he be able to control his body as well?
That is just a chance that a man takes when he has sex. Until men are the ones getting pregnant, and I mean men with a penis (please do not post a picture of that women that underwent a partial sex change and got pregnant) men are forced to deal with the financial burden of paying for any and all of their offspring. Is it fair...not really, but as they say, life isn't always fair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post

This is America you start taking people rights away the next thing you know you will be losing your rights. That is how it starts little by little.

As far as Abortion I think it should be illegal. The rights are still there she can leave the country.
???

Hypocrite much?

Besides, there ARE valid medical reasons to have an abortion, in one specific instance it's life or death for the mother if an abortion ISN'T performed.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
Kinda personal don't you think? No and yes.

Sure it's personal. This whole discussion is about people's personal practices.

And if you're going to promote it, you better have practiced it.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM

433 posts, read 459,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Sure it's personal. This whole discussion is about people's personal practices.

And if you're going to promote it, you better have practiced it.
For some reason you seem to have made this topic personal and directed at me:

OPs Title "Fastest way to get rid of welfare & the abortion topic"

I've never promoted nor practiced either. Does this mean I shouldn't have an opinion?

Dano

Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Many Folks have developed the bad habit of attacking the messenger, when ever they may disagree with the message. I have run to the same rude behavior in many Boards. They soon fall to the way side, as it is discovered they use this tactic as a distraction as they have nothing positive to add to the topic, or usually to much of anything else in life. which is why they come out from under the porch, and nip at our ankles.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon_Tracy View Post
you did ask about what rights a man has to limit the amount of children he has to take care of

didnt ask that at all...I asked about FATHERS, meaning men with children.. (in the context of removing, not preventing, one's financial responsibility to a conceived child)...why would I care about what he does with his body before conception, if my post wasnt about what women do with theirs before conception?

context clues

Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
That is just a chance that a man takes when he has sex. Until men are the ones getting pregnant, and I mean men with a penis (please do not post a picture of that women that underwent a partial sex change and got pregnant) men are forced to deal with the financial burden of paying for any and all of their offspring. Is it fair...not really, but as they say, life isn't always fair!
See, I disagree...I think that is no more reasonable than saying that women cant have an abortion because childbirth is just the price that she has to pay for having sex. Until they are the one paying for a child they didnt want, they will just have to deal with the biological burden of childbearing. Life isnt always fair.

I mean, if we can allow women a way to choose whether they want to accept responsibility for their offspring, then we should offer men an option...I think thats reasonable, and equal.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
The threat of pregnancy, one would assume, would give a Lady the incentive to just say "No"

Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM

50 posts, read 65,394 times
Quote:
didnt ask that at all...I asked about FATHERS, meaning men with children.. (in the context of removing, not preventing, one's financial responsibility to a conceived child)...why would I care about what he does with his body before conception, if my post wasnt about what women do with theirs before conception?

context clues
this post is rather convulted...however, and I know you will correct me if I'm wrong....I think you are referring to men's ability to chose the amount of children they have and are required to take care of....again, although there is no way to do that after conception....you have every right in the world to use a condom

Quote:
See, I disagree...I think that is no more reasonable than saying that women cant have an abortion because childbirth is just the price that she has to pay for having sex. Until they are the one paying for a child they didnt want, they will just have to deal with the biological burden of childbearing. Life isnt always fair.

I mean, if we can allow women a way to choose whether they want to accept responsibility for their offspring, then we should offer men an option...I think thats reasonable, and equal.
life isn't fair indeed......you can not control the amount of children you are responsible for after conception because you are a man.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
this post is rather convulted...however, and I know you will correct me if I'm wrong....I think you are referring to men's ability to chose the amount of children they have and are required to take care of....again, although there is no way to do that after conception....you have every right in the world to use a condom

Indeed your understanding of my post was very convoluted unfortunately. To clarify, I am referring to the ability of particularly FATHERS, not simply men, to choose whether they are obligated to accept financial responsibility for an unwanted child...although there is currently no legal provision for a man to abandon his responsibility as there is with abortion, it would be nice if equality were bestowed on men. Women have every right to use a female condom, but that doesnt prevent us from allowing MOTHERS the legal option to abort their responsibility AFTER conception..Truthfully, I dont particularly care about contraception, as the neglected responsibility to use contraception/condoms are only used to justify why fathers should not be allowed to choose to abort their responsibility; yet the same justification doesnt prohibit mothers from legally sanctioned abortion. Im simply saying that fathers should have the same option to abandon responsibility after conception, if equality means anything in this country.

Quote:
life isn't fair indeed......you can not control the amount of children you are responsible for after conception because you are a man.

This is incorrect, govt isnt fair, and thats changeable. Govt. simply doesnt sanction a man's right to choose whether he accepts responsibility for a child or not. While it does make provisions for mothers to have abortions, if men were allowed to exercise their equal right to abandon their responsibility then the govts. goal of enforcing equality would be consistent with its mission statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates