Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 PM

297 posts, read 899,409 times

Advertisements

What's your job? may I ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 PM

96 posts, read 298,812 times
Entrepreneur and company owner, taxes are my worst enemy. I will be moving this spring from California to TEXAS where I can escape it all.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrat View Post
Entrepreneur and company owner, taxes are my worst enemy. I will be moving this spring from California to TEXAS where I can escape it all.
Don't expect to escape property taxes. There is no state income tax, but they still find ways to extract revenue from you.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 12-19-2009, 01:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Poverty is the inability to afford adequate food and shelter and maintain health, wellbeing and dignity.

I agree with your definition but the official one used by the Census Bureau to define who is and isn't poor is this:

"Following the Office of Management and Budget's (OMB) Statistical Policy Directive 14, the Census Bureau uses a set of money income thresholds that vary by family size and composition to determine who is in poverty. If a family’s total income is less than the family’s threshold, then that family and every individual in it is considered in poverty. The official poverty thresholds do not vary geographically, but they are updated for inflation using Consumer Price Index (CPI-U). The official poverty definition uses money income before taxes and does not include capital gains or noncash benefits (such as public housing, Medicaid, and food stamps)."

Poverty - How the Census Bureau Measures Poverty (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/povdef.html - broken link)

And that is why people considered to be "poor" by the government can have multiple TVs, cars, air conditioning,their own houses, etc.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
With all the technology and wealth that exist today, why haven't we been able to create a social Utopia?

Because, as un-PC as this is, human beings are not created 'equal.' There will always be those who are smarter, willing to work harder, etc...so whoever isn't will always seem 'poor' in comparison.

Case in point...look at the poor in this country and compare them to, say, Indonesia. In Indonesia, our overweight, cell-phone toting poor people would seem like kings.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Why do you think there's so many illegal immigrants in this country, they see that.

Take a step back and put your self in their shoes. Your in one of those countries and poor, you happen to be watching one of the TV's that probably 30 people share in a hut. Your watching something that contains American culture.

Now you understand when those people see this country it looks like a gigantic brochure to a better life.

Little do they know it involves work.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 AM

43 posts, read 76,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Can poverty become eradicated? Should poverty become eradicated?
It is a wonderful goal and ideal, but the problem is that, by definition, poverty can never be eliminated. It is relative to how others around them live. In today's America, the average family below the poverty line has a home, at least one vehicle, food on the table and cable TV. That is middle class or better in countless nations around the world even today. The American "elite" of 200 years ago didn't have indoor plumbing.

As for the social Utopia part, we are dreamers. As soon as we own something or invent someting new, we start thinking about what would be even better. Without invoking too much religion, I believe that we are wired to expect something much greater than we could ever acheive on Earth, and therefore will never be content or satisfied. In fact, the beginning of an old movie, "The gods must be crazy" addressed how we develop new technology to simplify our life, but in turn require more time, education and money to use it - ultimately making us busier than we were before.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM

Yea but a 2-3K increase in Property taxes is NOTHING compared to paying the state of California 30K in income tax.

Also the state of California is looking to raise property tax next year, watch and see.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 AM

297 posts, read 899,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrat View Post
Wow you sound like an ambitious man. This goes 180 against your "internet is all I need" philosophy.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
some utopias cant be gifted-- they have to be built from within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates