Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 394,863 times

Advertisements

anyone think there's any validity to this? like in 50 years, will people look at soda (and maybe even processed food) the way we look at tobacco products now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,495 times
I already do.

From the hicks of North Carolina - tobacco country, and my mother just died from the effects of smoking. Seems everyone around here used to smoke...many people still do.

About 3 months ago I shocked my sister when we were driving and I pulled out a 2 liter soda from under my seat to fill up my cup. When answering her questions I realized I drank a 2 liter a day and was hooked, truly addicted.

I had tried many times to quit but the headaches, the irritability....could murder someone. Would lash out at my children, have meltdowns at the grocery store.... it was just best I stay on the Dew.

But I just knew I had to quit.....after all, all the studies show how sodapop robs teeth and bones and the body pays for it...later. (just like tobacco-the effects come later)
So I sent the family away for a few days and took benadryl and Excedrin PM for a few days...sleep through the withdrawal symptoms.

I am humbled to say it has been about 3 months since I even had a drop of Mt. Dew (my drug of choice). But looking at my nightstand....there's a 2 liter Pepsi.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,495 times
Oh, want to add-
it's totally got to be the 'addictive behavior'. Wouldn't I be addicted to 'something'?...better it be sodapop than something like alcohol, gambling, drugs, etc.
Sodapop is socially acceptable. Especially since the average female weighs more now than 50 years ago.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I already do.

From the hicks of North Carolina - tobacco country, and my mother just died from the effects of smoking. Seems everyone around here used to smoke...many people still do.

About 3 months ago I shocked my sister when we were driving and I pulled out a 2 liter soda from under my seat to fill up my cup. When answering her questions I realized I drank a 2 liter a day and was hooked, truly addicted.

I had tried many times to quit but the headaches, the irritability....could murder someone. Would lash out at my children, have meltdowns at the grocery store.... it was just best I stay on the Dew.

But I just knew I had to quit.....after all, all the studies show how sodapop robs teeth and bones and the body pays for it...later. (just like tobacco-the effects come later)
So I sent the family away for a few days and took benadryl and Excedrin PM for a few days...sleep through the withdrawal symptoms.

I am humbled to say it has been about 3 months since I even had a drop of Mt. Dew (my drug of choice). But looking at my nightstand....there's a 2 liter Pepsi.
I admire your struggle but anyone who has to battle with a serious addiction and a serious withdrawal has to laugh at this.

I don't think soda will ever be AS villianized as tobacco is since there is no "second hand" effect or painful death as a result (thats kind of arguable but its not apple to apples). I do agree though that the trend is going away from soda, as a child my parents would let me drink cans of coke all the time, I do not plan on letting my children drink pop--or at least, not much at all.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I admire your struggle but anyone who has to battle with a serious addiction and a serious withdrawal has to laugh at this.

I don't think soda will ever be AS villianized as tobacco is since there is no "second hand" effect or painful death as a result (thats kind of arguable but its not apple to apples). I do agree though that the trend is going away from soda, as a child my parents would let me drink cans of coke all the time, I do not plan on letting my children drink pop--or at least, not much at all.
Exactly this. A person smoking nearby endangers my health, even though the only participation I have is that I am breathing. That same person drinking a soda or eating a hotdog will not impact my health by his/her consumption. So, no.

However, almost three years ago I quit drinking caffeine, cold turkey - and really, two weeks of debilitating migraines later really made me wonder just how addictive that stuff really is. I feel FAR healthier without it in my system.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I'm surprised there is no regulation on energy drinks... not that I want any more government interference in my life, but damn... those things are addictive.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
anyone think there's any validity to this? like in 50 years, will people look at soda (and maybe even processed food) the way we look at tobacco products now?
It may seem unlikely now, but given our country's increasing propensity for political correctness, coupled with our government's ever-expanding will to try and legislate morality and creat a Nanny State, it could happen.
It reminds me of the hilarious movie "Demolition Man" where fast food and sugar and even sex and sugar were all banned.
"Have a Happy Happy Joy Day!"

Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
i used to drink 6 cans of dew a day, back when i was a mechanic, i stopped and started drinking water, 4 or 5 20oz bottles a day... wow did i ever feel better after that... now i usually only drink coke when there's rum in it

Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times
If people want to chug gallons of Mountain Dew, it does not bother me.
Someone blowing smoke in my face bothers me.

I did see a special on TV, where I first heard the term "Mountain Dew Mouth". TOo much of that soda causes teeth to rot, and fall out.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
My middle son has just about ruined his teeth with mountain dew and has sensitive teeth. Age--26. I didn't start having sensitive teeth until I was about 52. I never drank much soda,maybe more when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates