Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 AM

297 posts, read 899,221 times

Advertisements

Are we really more apathetic in today than we ever were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,790 times
What apathy?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
the odds are increasing that we will wind up with at least part of Mexico courtesy of its imploding culture. The drug wars there alone are cause for concern.
On what basis do you say that Mexico's culture is imploding? How would America "winding up" with part of Mexico have any effect on the so-called drug-wars, when we can't even control drug wars (and gangs) in our own country?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On what basis do you say that Mexico's culture is imploding? How would America "winding up" with part of Mexico have any effect on the so-called drug-wars, when we can't even control drug wars (and gangs) in our own country?
washingtonpost.com

Mexico is at a crossroads.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
washingtonpost.com

Mexico is at a crossroads.
That article is about one city in Mexico (Juarez). It says nothing at all about the rest of the country, and even acknowledges that one third of all drug-related murders are restricted to that one city, which means the entirety of Mexico's population is exposed to little more violence than there is in a single city. In fact, it is likely that Juarez, Tijuana and Nuevo Laredo together account for more violent drug crime than all the rest of Mexico put together, which is 100-million people. And even most of that crime is in Mexico City.

See if you can find an article that reflects the general living conditions in the entirety of Mexico. You probably can't because there is nothing newsworthy about quiet people going about their peaceful and increasingly prosperous lives.

If America solved its own drug problems, Juarez would go back to being a sleepy border town. And America's drug problem is not shootouts in the street, it is the pharmaceutical needs of a Crumbling Civilization, that is dragging our neighbors into the sewer along with us.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-27-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,706 times
Quote from Ran Prieur:
"I'm done with the Olympia events and heading down to Portland tomorrow. At my talk Thursday, and at the Awakening the Dreamer symposium today, I kept noticing one issue: When affluent Americans ask "what can I do", they mean, "What can I do to save the whole world? What can I do to turn industrial capitalism around in its tracks, to halt species extinction and reverse arctic melting, to feed all the starving people without further increasing the population, to transform human consciousness and witness a global utopia in my lifetime?"

My answer is, you can't do ****. And I'm a woo-woo optimist. I think that beneath all events is an invisible Flow that is intelligent and loving. I think that any human system that goes out of balance with human nature, or with other life on Earth, is doomed to fail. I think that in all possible futures, dandelions will grow through ruined Wal-Mart parking lots. But within this optimism, I see room for epic catastrophes. And some catastrophes are now so far along that "what can I do to stop it" is the wrong question, and the right question is "what can I do to survive it, to help others survive it, to minimize suffering and prepare for recovery?"

Find a landbase and build the topsoil; plant fruit trees and vegetable gardens; learn to forage and hunt and repair stuff; learn uncommon useful skills; make local friends; work to make your city and region more sustainable and resilient; make friends in other regions in case you have to move; gradually shift more of your activities and dependencies out of the money economy; break your addictions; get healthy; spend your money on tools and skills and long-keeping food; meditate; exercise your intuition. This is not meant to be a complete list, but a list of examples of the kind of thing you should be doing. The title of my talk was "Weeds through Pavement", because when pavement turns to forest, the pavement does not turn green and put down roots -- plants crack the pavement and grow through it. So do that."

Ran Prieur

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
cpg35223 - The dominance of TV entertainment helps atomize the society into singular entities continuously propagandized to believe they are what they buy and not members of the rest of society. This system strongly discourages group activities except sports and movie mania. All other social groups such as churches and even the Masons are becoming ghettos of grey hairs.

I believe this atomization is meant to discourage interest in politics so the control of the political situation is maintained from a town to a national level by a very small society of people rich enough in time or money to afford the expense of politics. The rest of us are just supposed to be docile herds that show up to protest the other side while both sides and the merchants continue to get richer off the mob.

This civilization will just whimper away and folks “twitter” instead of talk and the merchants run out of customers with enough credit to buy all the stuff.

/\ The tin foil hat isn't doing you any good.

I can't stand other people, quite frankly, and I am quite glad to assocate w/ people on my own terms.

Your issues stemm more from being angry and bitter than anything else.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Ignore the people who still cling to the tired old tinfoilhat metaphor whenever anyone offers an explanation that is not the dogmatic article of faith in their blog-rolodex.

It is probably true that nothing can be done to reverse the juggernaut, but each individual who seeks personal order can be influenced to live his own life without being crushed. Showing by example how you flourish in your own personal world can effect change in one individual who aspires to contentment, even though probably useless against the anger and bitterness of those who use the tinfoilhat canard as the only remaining and desperate defense of that within which they wallow.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM

63 posts, read 37,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Is our culture leading us towards a crumbling civilizaton?

And also, In this culture, why do we call anyone with self-restraint "boring"?
Usually those that are religious believe our culture is in the downward spiral. Those of us that do not subscribe to that nonsense do not believe that.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
Usually those that are religious believe our culture is in the downward spiral. Those of us that do not subscribe to that nonsense do not believe that.
Well, here I go, bucking the trend again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates