Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I watched a show about how they make it. It's remarkably like cereal, actually. Just with meat flavor added instead. You could give the cat Trix, and it'd be about the same.
Ahhhh... You watched a show about it.

Well that settles it. Case closed!

Nevermind that it's not "meat flavor", but rendered meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
"How It's Made"--you can learn a lot from "educational" programming. Plus, you know, that whole "common sense" thing.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Here is something that I don't understand. I've tried for 20 or 30 years to understand it, (well, honestly, maybe I haven't tried that hard!). Why is it that so many people make claims and refuse to use data to support their opinions? I don't get it. There is a lot of data available on the internet, most of it free for the taking....why don't people use it???? I am talking about data about poverty, quality of life, the economy, child rearing, retirement, ....and on and on....

Why is that? Are people inherrently too lazy to use data? Are they so uneducated that they can't? Are they afraid that data will contradict their opinions? WHY?
Are you talking, in an environment where this is encouraged? Or just in general, conversating with friends and family? So, no one can dialogue with you, unless they've done research first? Is that what you're saying?

Old 12-26-2009, 04:07 PM

As I understood it, he was talking about a debate. But in a debate, you need to be able to prove your opponent's claims are wrong.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Do you have data to back this up?

busta
Data for this? Look no further than CD posts.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:29 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
Are you talking, in an environment where this is encouraged? Or just in general, conversating with friends and family? So, no one can dialogue with you, unless they've done research first? Is that what you're saying?
My intent is not to go overboard--just to understand why people make some of the assertions they do when they have NO empirical evidence.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:46 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you asked a 1000 doctors--is that large enough of a sample size? Or would you have to have a much larger sample?

If you asked a 1000 neo-Nazis what they thought about race relations...or the first thousand people you asked happened to be neo-Nazis, how does that skew the figures?

No matter what question you ask regarding a person's opinions on a subject, you're going to get more than one answer. How is one any more valid than another? Do we only respect the majority view?
IF you asked 1,000 doctors.... would you be asking doctors with private practices? Plastic surgeons? Pediatricians? Dentists? Osteopaths? EENTs? etc. LOL.....

It's the same as surveys/questionaires in Field & Stream, as opposed to Cosmopolitan. You can bet there are certain age groups and genders who are going to read each of those magazines....and the results of those surveys will be vastly different! Data is too easily skewed, in many cases to ever be trusted.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:05 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Many people lack the education needed to properly understand data.

I'm not talking about stuff like regression algorithms. I mean things like understanding a numerical value in per capita terms vs. one in overall terms. Or being able to read and interpret graphs.

When someone lacks the education to understand that type of thing, using data is basically pointless, because it just serves to confuse.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
TKramar, My kitty likes Nutro kibble. According to the label the first ingredient is chicken meal, a bit down the line is poultry fat. The description of chicken meal is it is made from chicken that has been cooked to remove the water and fat. This leaves a high concentration of chicken protein according to the label.

I believe that all kibble or dry cat food has something like chicken meal and poultry fat in it for protein. Please tell us the name of the dry food you feed your cat because I would really like to look it up and see what is in it.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 PM

It's called C/D, actually. Buy it right at the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates