Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
How about race in general, Mr. smarty pants.
How about we just be honest here.

You're a racist. A blind, frightened racist.

I'd venture a guess that you've rarely seen a black person, let alone talk with one. They frighten you. You're scared of what you don't understand, and are not familiar with, so you bad-mouth blacks in general. You ignore the fact that many of them are clearly smarter than you, more successful than you, and are more civic and community-minded than you.

It's very unfortunate that you don't live where I do. You'd meet countless blacks who would prove everything you believe about blacks to be false. I mean, you'd still believe everything you do, but at least you'd have exposure to those mean ole black people you're so scared of.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
That doesn't explain why ( in the many towns I researched for re-location) a poor town with the same poverty rate that has a high % of whites has a much lower crime rate than a same sized town, same poverty rate, with a higher % of blacks.

I think a lot has to do with culture differences between blacks and whites and how they react to poverty.
Culture can be part of the reason. With that said, some of the health factors can't be ruled out. There have been studies on the correlation between lead and how the mind works. In these studies, it has been found that persons with higher than normal amounts of lead in the body tend to have learning problems and agreesion issues. It makes me angry when I think about this. Lead in the body can also play a part as well, as well as other issues coming with unhealthy environments. There are many factors that lead to crime. It is a question of deciding to stop letting things just happen and make every effort to do something about it.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 AM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
How about we just be honest here.

You're a racist. A blind, frightened racist.

I'd venture a guess that you've rarely seen a black person, let alone talk with one. They frighten you. You're scared of what you don't understand, and are not familiar with, so you bad-mouth blacks in general. You ignore the fact that many of them are clearly smarter than you, more successful than you, and are more civic and community-minded than you.

It's very unfortunate that you don't live where I do. You'd meet countless blacks who would prove everything you believe about blacks to be false. I mean, you'd still believe everything you do, but at least you'd have exposure to those mean ole black people you're so scared of.
Racism has become a meaningless term, because it is so often misused/abused by people like you.

Racism is synonymous with Bigotry and Bigotry is stubbornly clinging to an idea despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The Color of Crime Report, for example, represents overwhelming evidence. Yet you stubbornly cling to the erroneous idea that race doesn't matter

My friend, I'm sorry to tell you, but you are the bigot and the racist, not me.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Racism has become a meaningless term, because it is so often misused/abused by people like you.

Racism is synonymous with Bigotry and Bigotry is stubbornly clinging to an idea despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The Color of Crime Report, for example, represents overwhelming evidence. Yet you stubbornly cling to the erroneous idea that race doesn't matter

Omaha Rocks is not a racist or a bigot. A racist is someone who believes one race is superior or inferior to another and a bigot is someone who has hateful views towards someone else because of a person's race or ethnicity. Discrimination is basically using racism and acting on that racism by treating another person poorly, such as denying someone a job on the basis or race, basically, using race as a reason to treat someone unfairly and poorly.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:

You're right.

I'm such a racist and bigot that I live in a black neighborhood - and love it. At least 9 of 10 people at my bank are black, including the manager & assistant manager. And I'm in the minority when I go grocery shopping. My wife works in an office where about 60% of the employees are black.

You, on the other hand, believe that you are intellectually & culturally superior than blacks, simply because you are white. You fear blacks, are never around blacks, and deep down you hate blacks.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Of the two of us, I'm the racist and bigot.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 AM

Last night I was listening to someone who works with the college ministry. He spoke of a pastor who went into a very poor section of Atlanta(and Atlanta has alot of violence). The pastor wanted to help the poor, so he moved among them, to add his contribution. There was a shooting in his driveway the night he got there. He called the ambulance but it didn't come for 40 minutes. The person who was shot basically was laying there, bleeding and dying. When the ambulance did come, the person wouldn't come out of the car until the police came. This pastor basically stuck with it and "got his hands dirty" shall we say. After a year of working in that area ministering to people about the Lord, that area started to come together, the rate of violence in that area he was living in was dropping, people were helping one another. A community was coming together to say "no more of this stuff in my neighborhood". Sometimes it takes something like that to make things get better.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I do not feel as though you should be ashamed of your own ethnicity, in fact I believe you should embrace it. What I desire is that you reject the "victim" subculture of a blameless society. You are obviously a bright spot and working to better your own culture. It isn't your fault that the majority of black america has given YOU a bad name. The only thing I can suggest is to continue your valiant efforts and prove people wrong. You will be berated as a sellout by many, but the survival of your race/culture depends on people like you.

I would like to also encourage you to not fall for race-bating traps and power on. Please do not believe that every post that cites stats including black areas as the worst in the nation as a motivation to keep blacks down, but more as a motivation to improve their own neighborhoods. I am extremely liberal and voted for Obama without batting an eye, however I refuse to ignore the pressing issues of our society. I just wish people wouldn't automatically label someone a racist when they call out exorbitantly high crime rates in minority areas. Stats are stats, and everyone can draw their own conclusions! Please help fix your own problems before berating me as being intolerant...
I am not ashamed of my ethnicity. I am ashamed of some of the things that have been going on.

The majority of Blacks in American are not committing crimes. It is small number of criminals committing alot of crimes. There are many people who just act like "wannabe gangsters" who really wouldn't committ crimes. I know this from experience. My freshmen year in high school, I felt like I had act like a "wannabe gangster" to fit in, so I tried it out for a little bit. I got tired of it really fast. Unfortunately, there are many out there who fall under that sad trap.

I am very aware that there are people who will view me as a joke or a sellout, and not just the Black persons. Some of the White kids in my high school thought of the way I am as a joke(kind of like Carlton Banks, for who I was frequently referenced to). Oddly enough, it was usually some of the preppiest White kids who did this. It wasn't just Blacks doing it. Fortunately, I am in college and I am around African-American men and women who want an education and want better out of life. My issue is that this isn't the side of African-Americans many are willing to portray. My biggest issue isn't the fact that people are reporting on the issues within the African-American community. My bigger problem is the fact that alot of people focus almost exclusively on that, as if African-Americans are one big monolith, ignoring the African-Americans who do work hard, who don't do drugs, who aren't out there committing crimes and doing other stuff. It isn't people like my father who will end up on television. My father is staying in his children's lives. He came to my apartment last week to see me. He is an engineer with a masters' degree. He does alot of work in his church. However, it isn't him that will end up on TV. It is the "gangbanger" or "baby's daddy" crap that ends up on TV.

How do I know if every post relating to the issues within the African-American community aren't some attempt to criticize African-Americans? Alot of times, it is hard to tell because many people actually do use such statements as justifications for not liking African-Americans.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
The majority of blacks are not committing crimes, amazing logic. Neither are the majority of whites. The issue is not the majority, but the percent of the total population of that race, that is at hand here.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times
Since minorities (especially african-americans) have been "historically underprivileged" in this country, they demographically have lower than average incomes. Statistically, poor people commit crimes at a higher rate than rich people.

To get further into your question - in response to integration there was phenomena known as white-flight in the 50s/60s, where all of the wealthy white people moved out of the cities and into the suburbs. As a result, the inner cities lost a lot of money/funding for schools, among other things, and the neighborhoods in many downtown cities became "ghettos" for the poor.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
Language, a casualty of stubborn ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates