Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

File:1910-NativeWhite-vs-ImmigrantWhite.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM

I just wondered if I am looking at the map right and does it really mean that at this time in history there were less than 5% of foreign born whites in North Carlina and many other places in the South. If so, could this be the reason there seems to be so much resentment toward the South of people in other parts of the United States.

I have always thought this resentment comes from jealousy. So many say we are a nation of immigrants, but our state is clearly not a state of immigrants. I know that my ancestors came here before the USA was made into a nation, therefore they were not immigrants. They were founding fathers of this great nation.

I don't expect many of you to agree with me. Just by looking at the map I can think that most of the United States probably would not identify with me as a person who had ancestors that have been here since the Revolution. But if you have differing opinions, please state them rather than giving one sentence answers as to what you think of what I have said. Telling someone what you think of what they have said is really not saying anything. I want your original thoughts. If you don't have original thoughts, go post somewhere else.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
What i would expect for that time period that the west and later settled areas have the least native born people living there.I also have ancestors that were here before the amercian revoluiton . But my father also struckout for the land in the west. On a funny note here in texas its more important to be a native son of the state to many.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What i would expect for that time period that the west and later settled areas have the least native born people living there.I also have ancestors that were here before the amercian revoluiton . But my father also struckout for the land in the west. On a funny note here in texas its more important to be a native son of the state to many.
I think it is great that people in Texas are proud of their state. I think some of them went through a lot and suffered many trials so they probably have more in common with each other. We say, "Remember the Alamo" but most of our ancestors were nowhere near that war. And you can tell I don't know much about it, but I have the greatest respect for what your ancestors went through to get there. I guess the same thing could be said of most others who live in the West.

When we drive across the United States, we sometimes discuss what it much have been like for the wagon trains. I know some came to California by ship, but it had to take a lot of courage to start out across the West and Southwest in the case of Texas.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
My dad's family came to Perquimans Co., NC ca 1696 and were in eastern Texas by 1860. My mom's family came to eastern Maryland shortly after the Mayflower and were also in eastern Texas about the start Civil War. Some of my other direct lineage families were in Texas when it was still a republic. Interesting stuff.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My dad's family came to Perquimans Co., NC ca 1696 and were in eastern Texas by 1860. My mom's family came to eastern Maryland shortly after the Mayflower and were also in eastern Texas about the start Civil War. Some of my other direct lineage families were in Texas when it was still a republic. Interesting stuff.
I worked in the library and noticed there were many people from Texas who came to our area when doing genealogy on their families. Do any of you know why there were so many from here in North Carolina that migrated to Texas? I understand Tennessee; that was the next frontier. What was the attraction in Texas that drew them? Is there a possibility that they were trying to avoid getting caught up in the Civil War? Some of my husband's family migrated to Texas also and they started out in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM

I looked this up on Wikipedia and they were certainly not trying to avoid the war since they were much into it. Maybe it was just the fact that statehood had been obtained and they wanted to be part of it?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I was rather surprised to see that my immigrant grandparents, just before 1910, first settled in an area that is relatively lightly shaded on the map, in northern Ohio. But by 1910, had resettled in a 50-75% zone.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I ran across that map or one like it in an old National Geographic a while back. A lot can be read into it. First, the area in white is roughly the "old south," meaning that it is where southern tradition and manners are prevalent (or were in 1910). Secondly, that area is also the Bible Belt, which fits into it being an area bound to tradition and strong family ties, which were not broken by the industrial revolution, since it was agrarian. Third, much of the area is what was devastated by the Civil War, which means that infrastructure for industrial growth was lacking, and the sons and grandsons of southern Civil War veterans were in charge and likely not very accommodating or trusting of outsiders. They created the infamous "Good Old Boy" network to promote native-born and exclude outsiders.

In contrast, when the land grants of the transcontinental railroad were sold off to settlers, the railroads actively encouraged immigrants, in order to have shipping business for the railroads. You can almost draw a line between Sacramento and St. Louis where the immigration is more pronounced. Also, the recent immigration of Scandinavians to the U.P. and Wisconsin skews that area towards total immigration.

A more subtle interpretation of that lack of immigration to the south and the rise of the Bible Belt is that people who are defeated, whether by war or circumstance, are more likely to take refuge in religion. A coping mechanism goes - if I can't succeed in this world, putting my efforts towards the next one makes sense. There is reason to think that this is one of the reasons that the major religious revivals and awakenings took hold more deeply in the south and held on, where in the northeast and along the west coast they were more a passing event.

The map is really one that should be used in high school history courses, along with other census maps.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I worked in the library and noticed there were many people from Texas who came to our area when doing genealogy on their families. Do any of you know why there were so many from here in North Carolina that migrated to Texas? I understand Tennessee; that was the next frontier. What was the attraction in Texas that drew them? Is there a possibility that they were trying to getting caught up in the Civil War? Some of my husband's family migrated to Texas also and they started out in Williamsburg, Virginia.
My research has shown that many North Carolinians ended up in Texas to be sure. I don't know why but possibly the similarities drew them to east Texas. I do know that some parts of North Carolina look very similar to deep east Texas, i.e., rolling sandy hills and pine trees. Years ago I attended a family reunion (maternal side) at Pinehurst, NC. I could easily have imagined I was back in deep east Texas where I grew up. While eastern Texas was settled early primarily by southeastern families moving west, many later settlers from the Dakotas, MN and other northern States settled in west Texas. Forty years ago when I left east Texas for west Texas the distinction in the family origins of the two sides of the State was more clear than it is now.

My dad's families seem to have left the Carolinas by the early 1800s and my great great grandfather was in NE Louisiana by at least 1840, possibly earlier. His son, my great grandfather came to eastern Texas ca 1860 and fought in some of the Trans-Mississippi engagements with Walker's Greyhounds.

Point of fact: The old west Texas (south High Plains) farm I recently bought was built by a Scarbrough family ca 1940s, a surname prominently found written in deep Texas and North Carolina records as Scarborough. One line related to me came through Tennessee before arriving in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates