Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is a legitimate point. But it does not define hunting or fishing as sports. For sports like skiing and pole-vaulting, it requires the development of the entire physique and physical training, limiting competency to a person at the peak of conditioning. Hunting and Fishing would be more like woodworking or day trading. Improving skills can result in better results, but its not a sport.

Not to you perhaps. Isn't it still a sport if a guy only plays softball for a few weekends in the summer? No offense but your personal prejudices I think are clouding your view.

Hunting is one of the oldest sports in existence and like most others can be as demanding or relaxed as the individual wants it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
Maybe if hunters made their own weapons, chased the animals without shoes, and made a coat out of the fur I would be impressed. Otherwise, I think hunting (as a "sport") is silly.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Well since thats not remotely the topic of discussion, in addition to the fact that its no sillier than any other sport, what you think is unimportant.

That said it never ceases to amaze me that people would think that a group of adults playing ball every day could be anything but silly, not to mention the adults willing to spend money they worked for in order to support other mens play time.

In todays world where ball players & professional athletes are regularly caught abusing drugs both for pleasure & performance enhancement, cheating on their wives, fighting & many other disreputable behaviors whatever social benefits they may have once provided is moot. Those who dont hunt, fish or actually get involved with nature cannot understand. It may not qualify as a sport to some, but it is rewarding & fullfilling in a way that nothing else can be. Whether you score or not. It is what we are & coming to terms with that is more gratifying than any invented game could ever be.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
I certainly hope that the anti-hunters here are also vegans.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
I've hunted in both stands, and stalked.

I prefer stalking, because I'm up moving around, and its not as boring. No guarantee that a deer, or whatever, is going to walk close enough to your stand, to get off a shot. Sitting there all day, isn't my favorite thing to do.

However, as far as TV is concerned, if there wasn't a TV audience for the show, it wouldn't be on TV.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,539 times
Well I kill Game and Fish mostly for meat.Yes I enjoy it.I have rode in a Pickup or ATV to a Stand or Blind overlooking a Trail,Food Plot or Feeder.

I have went on High Fenced Hunts but it wasn't guaranteed,went to a couple that I came home empty handed from.Last time I sat in over a foot of snow for two days didn't get a shot.Another thing on High Fenced hunts gives a person a chance to hunt something he may never see in the wild.But also gives people a something to do durring the Off Season and hang out and enjoy being together.

Now as far as Hunting Shows I know a great many people that do this.If they don't make a kill on regular basis their sponsors are not very happy.

brushrunner

Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,535 times
I watch hunting shows. I like some of the people on the shows and the places they go. hunting is not 30minutes. and some shows do say when they get skunked. I do not watch tvPOKER, is that a game or sport? its BORING. dont get me started on "reality" shows. jersey shores? In the real world only 20% of hunters are successful. fact by any fish and game dept. dont like hunting? we are the ONLY people taking care of the wild game with the money we spend. Hunters are the countrys conservationists.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Hunting is one of the oldest sports in existence and like most others can be as demanding or relaxed as the individual wants it to be.
Hunting was never a sport, until people (mostly kings) had the leisure to kill animals for fun. Before that, hunting was a survival enterprise, like coal mining or beer brewing. Putting firecrackers in the mouths of frogs and watching them blow up is not a sport, either. As recently as a couple of centuries ago, the "sport", worldwide, was restricted to kings who gave themselves the privilege. Tell me the difference between 'hunting' and 'poaching'. Who decides whether killing an elephant or an eagle is a sport or a crime?

There is a difference between a sport and a game. Gin Rummy and I Spy and Candyland are not sports, either, no matter how many hours of Poker are on ESPN.

It's just plain silly to call hunting a sport. It does not meet any of the criteria of sport, unless you disregard the difference between shooting live targets and shooting paper targets.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-26-2010 at 06:16 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I have heard that hunting is the sport of warriors and war is the sport of hunters.

Back to the OP. I think it depends on how the hunting is presented. If it concentrates on the stalk and not on the killing I can se TV attracting people to the sport. If it includes watching a deer's head explode, in glorious telephoto slow motion, I think it would all but destroy the sport.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times
Personally I have to laugh at the whole hunting thing today, it's always depicted on the tube as some kind of holiday for the gent from the burbs, clothing and equipment rivaling the worst of fantasy sportsmen everywhere.

My Dad went up in the hills behind his home in Montana to hunt, maybe a few neighbors joining in but never the elaborate logistics needed by the burbsman. TV is known for it's BS presentation of real life anyway and hunting has become one more casualty of the sensationalist mentality that requires everything to be in overdrive........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates