Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

I think I did a pretty good job . My daughter tells me I was amazing. Heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,823 times
They played sports, got in fights, got dirty, are hunters, fishermen and about as mountain man as you can get.

Do you think really those characteristics you described make children more masculine?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,823 times
They played sports, got in fights, got dirty, are hunters, fishermen and about as mountain man as you can get.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILITO View Post

Do you think really those characteristics you described make children more masculine?
I didnt say that it makes children more masculine and no I dont think so. This statement was in response to the idea that boys raised by only a female parent will result in a less masculine male (and I've had people make statement to me that boys raised by women turn gay), I am making a point that this was definately not the case with my own sons.

So do you believe that a female child that hunts and fishes and plays football is more masculine or do you use the term tomboy?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
"Are single parents just as successful in raising their children?"

As successful as who? As other posters mentioned, a married couple raising kids is not more successful simply by virtue of being married.

That said, it would seem preferable to have two parents around who are both engaged and active in the kid's life. But I know adults who were raised in single parent households and were fine in school and became responsible adults and successful in their own goals (my husband is one of them). I know a kids of single parent households who excel in school and seem to receive bottomless support and love from their single parent and are very "well rounded". So yes, I think a single parent can be just as successful as a married couple raising kids.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Of course two parents in one household is the best way to go because they can help each other and provide more financially for the kids. However, this doesn't indicate that a single parent who does it alone with less money can't raise great kids. Just because it is harder....doesn't mean it can't be done.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbarry123 View Post
What is your opinion on the effect of a young child's developmental growth (0-6yrs) in a single-parent home as opposed to a two-parent home?

Single parent homes have a lower success rate. There's no disputing it.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbarry123 View Post
What is your opinion on the effect of a young child's developmental growth (0-6yrs) in a single-parent home as opposed to a two-parent home?
I was esentially raised in a single-parent home for most of my childhoood. My mother had advantages because she was 35 when she had me, already had a college degree, a stable career in the Air Force, and had no trouble receiving child support b/c of deduction of my dad's paycheck (he was USAF too.) I did turn out better than a lot of kids with single parents I know (21, FT job, junior in college.)

The main problem with most single parent homes today is that the mothers are usually young (18-24), little post-secondary education, unstable careers, and turbulent home life. No involvement or support from the fathers will intensify the problem.

A single-parent home can be sucessful. It is hard but not impossible.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 13,369 times
I work in an agency with teen moms and the majority of them are young and single. I first hand see the difficulties they face as single parents. There are many resources that may assist them financially, but its still a hard task to raise a child on their own. I personally feel that a male figure is needed in a child's life as well. Do you all think that it matters if the parent is their biological parent? For example, do you feel that the child will have different attachment bonds if they were raised by a different family member or adoptive parent as opposed to their birth parents?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,231 times
It really depends on function, characteristic and relationship of parents. A qualified parent equals two parents family which only has one functional adult. Obviously, it's best for children to have two-parent family, but the premise is they maintain a harmonious relationship and sound development of social personality, for example, not abusive or violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates