Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 PM

355 posts, read 615,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Like the old saying "If you stand for everything, you stand for nothing".
When you stand for something, you stand still. You don't move. No movement - no progress.
Open mind develops quick thinking, teaches to adapt, to react. It's far more effective.
Closed mind is safe. Open mind is an adventure. So you either sit at home or venture forth. If you feel like you're done travelling, you might just go home, but if you feel like this life has got something more to offer, you must be open to (almost) everything new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
When you stand for something, you stand still. You don't move. No movement - no progress.
Open mind develops quick thinking, teaches to adapt, to react. It's far more effective.
Closed mind is safe. Open mind is an adventure. So you either sit at home or venture forth. If you feel like you're done travelling, you might just go home, but if you feel like this life has got something more to offer, you must be open to (almost) everything new.
I have come to the conclusion that just because the majority dictates that a peaceful action is illegal and I am against the use of force against violators of that law. Should I be open minded to the idea that we should punish, jail and kill peaceful people all because they violate majority rule based laws?

I'll stay closed minded thank you.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am open minded but I am full of opinions. You know what the difference are. I am not close minded, meaning I can change my opinions about different issues. I never dismiss anything completely, I am always open for different view points. I may not always agree to them but I am...open minded.. Does that make any sense?
Not really. I have the opinion that those with open minds are too wishy washy and can't hold firm opinions. And there isn't much someone can say to convince me otherwise.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not really. I have the opinion that those with open minds are too wishy washy and can't hold firm opinions. And there isn't much someone can say to convince me otherwise.
Yep and your opinion means nothing to anybody really any more than anyone elses.

Ultimately strong opinions are a waste of time. The reality or truth is what it is, and always will be, whether you are aware of it or not. That I don't "Know" it any more than you do is why open mindedness is important. Wrong is wrong and right is right whatever you think. Ultimately people don't define these things and what you think isn't worth a turd.

Open mindedness is about being ready to accept whatever the real truth is (as we don't know yet we just have "beliefs" or "opinions"). Not judgementally considering certain things to fit into what you think the world is about from your own perspective and saying "I know what I think and what is true", like you do.

And just referring to open minded people as "wishy washy" confirms the kind of depth your thinking delves to.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I have come to the conclusion that just because the majority dictates that a peaceful action is illegal and I am against the use of force against violators of that law. Should I be open minded to the idea that we should punish, jail and kill peaceful people all because they violate majority rule based laws?
I'm sorry, could you please give me an exapmle of an illegal peaceful action that can get you a death sentence?
And if you don't like "the majority", why do you still live with it? Go and live in the jungle. Stop walking the roads that the majority build, eating the food that the majority produced and using the internet which the majority created. Majority build the civilization. If you don't like civilization, you are free to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Oh, man, really? Crap. We've been trying so hard to convince YOU.
No, seriously, where does the whole idea of people not doing something just because they can't come from? Do you do everything you can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Open mindedness is about being ready to accept whatever the real truth is.
Great definition.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, could you please give me an exapmle of an illegal peaceful action that can get you a death sentence?
And if you don't like "the majority", why do you still live with it? Go and live in the jungle. Stop walking the roads that the majority build, eating the food that the majority produced and using the internet which the majority created. Majority build the civilization. If you don't like civilization, you are free to go.
I didn't say death sentence, I said killed. Here is a good example and actually this guy wasn't doing a thing. When dozens of armed agents raid homes, people sometimes get killed. F.E.A.R. Chronicles - Forfeiture Victim Story of Donald Scott

I didn't say I don't like the majority, I don't like the majority dictating my actions or lack of actions if I am not harming others. I love voluntarily siding with the majority if appropriate. History is full of the majority using force against peaceful people in the name of the good of the people.

I prefer to be closed minded to those atrocities.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I didn't say death sentence, I said killed. Here is a good example and actually this guy wasn't doing a thing. When dozens of armed agents raid homes, people sometimes get killed. F.E.A.R. Chronicles - Forfeiture Victim Story of Donald Scott

I didn't say I don't like the majority, I don't like the majority dictating my actions or lack of actions if I am not harming others. I love voluntarily siding with the majority if appropriate. History is full of the majority using force against peaceful people in the name of the good of the people.

I prefer to be closed minded to those atrocities.
Oh, so you are against collateral damage? Man, me too! I am also against death, you know. I think the whole "dying" thing seems kinda stupid to me. Let's ban that!

Majority will always dictate actions or lack of actions. Even if you are not harming others. Take taxes for example: you're not hurting anyone by avoiding them (at least not directly and not in any significant way), but you do agree that if someone avoids paying taxes, it's not fair, and he/she should be punished, right?
That's the thing with the majority: you either take it whole, as it is (you can try changing it, but that's a different story), or you leave it.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you are against collateral damage? Man, me too! I am also against death, you know. I think the whole "dying" thing seems kinda stupid to me. Let's ban that!

Majority will always dictate actions or lack of actions. Even if you are not harming others. Take taxes for example: you're not hurting anyone by avoiding them (at least not directly and not in any significant way), but you do agree that if someone avoids paying taxes, it's not fair, and he/she should be punished, right?
That's the thing with the majority: you either take it whole, as it is (you can try changing it, but that's a different story), or you leave it.
Nope, I think income taxes or taxes on your creations or labor are wrong and I would not convict someone of avoiding them.

Your last sentence sounds very similar to lines I keep hearing in the movie Swing Kids I am watching right now.

You need to open your mind to alternatives.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
You need to open your mind to alternatives.
Yep.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Im pretty close minded until I decide that an issue is worth evaluating and perhaps changing my perspective for... otherwise the shop is closed for business..lol

dont see much point in drifting with the wind everytime someone thinks they have the grand truth about an issue..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates