Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
What I find interesting here is that in California, the Feds won't enforce the illegal alien laws yet when it comes to marijuana, they get their underwear in a twist. No consistencey there which shows the Federal government for the hypocrites they are in DC.
They'll just take border agents and make them DEA agents.

Honestly, for the feds to try and police the entire state, would be impossible without major man power increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Getting tax revenue may very well mean easy approval of marijuana since alcohol & tobacco are heavily taxed in California. "Sin taxes" are a good thing if it generates more $ for the schools.

But the question is, will this trend continue outside of California? Will other states legalize marijuana?

It should,generally trends start in California.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
It doesn't matter, federal law still bans distribution and consumption of marijuana even for medical purposes.. See Gonzales v. Raich. Of course it means no penalties at the state level, but the state cannot protect you from federal law. Until marijuana is legalized at the federal level, nothing is really going to change.

The feds generally rely on local authorities in aide however, with it being local they will not get it.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 PM

9 posts, read 15,496 times
If your against it then just chill out and dont worry about it...it should be none of your concern... all of us bad horrible people who smoke pot are going to smoke no matter what bull**** point you bring up about it..."AWW ITS A GATEWAY DRUG"...."ITS BAD FOR YOU".... just shut up peoples, go blog about whatever you want as long as it involves you... This involves me, i want legalization that's why im writing this stupid message that probably no one will ever read... But YOU...awwh you currently have what you want- its illegal so shut up... i smoke pot and i dont even have any pain or reason to smoke it other than just getting a little buzz, i smoke it cause im a grown ass successful man living in a 7,000 square foot house..I feel No government should be able to say what i put in my body... However someone i really really love suffers from chronic back pain due to tumors and chooses NOT to smoke weed cause its illegal and she does not want to get in trouble with the law...I really wish the GOVERNMENT would care enough about the people to allow them to have a quality life like the others of us... who cares if some teens get into the medical bud program, its not like they dont have a dealer to score some bud from.....

Dear, North Carolina
The person that i really really love suffers from chronic back & neck pain and needs her life back...and wont take the only last option of relief because its illegal...its on you NC... I want her back, the way she was, No pain intended... God Bless the USA and all the ignorant folks who disagree with my reasons for legalization

My name is Thomas, and I approve this message.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Again, I don't see the validity of your argument. If you can grow garden vegetables, I'm sure you can grow marijuana. As far as I know, people grow garden vegetables in all 50 states. I am sure there are varieties of marijuana bred to thrive in conditions from tropical to sub-arctic.
Perhaps, but if we break that down by metro area, it really can't be grown outdoors everywhere... for example I live in San Francisco, right IN the city, and don't even have my own yard (we just have an unfenced patio & shared courtyard area). We also get very little sun in my neighborhood, so even growing vegetables is a rare thing in this part of SF. Then there's a quality issue, which has already been mentioned - trust me, I've personally tried homegrown outdoor weed, and it's NOTHING like the indoor/hydroponic stuff you get at a cannabis club. Seriously, no comparison.

Plus you have non-gardening people like me, who could kill a cactus even in the desert, and don't want to waste the time & money on something that might die... it's just easier to call up my delivery service (legal medical deliveries), and have a bag of TOP quality product at my door in under an hour. Probably doesn't cost me any more, either, when you factor in the costs of growing indoors. Bottom line, I think you'd still have a high number of folks like me, who can't or don't want to grow their own.

P.S. I am upset that Prop 19 didn't pass (really folks???), but at least California finally decriminalized it... so even without the medical card, carrying under an ounce is now treated like a minor traffic violation. That's the first step, I guess!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
[*]You'll see large grower-supply stores appearing, along the lines of Lowes (maybe called "Growes"), complete with weekly sales circulars in the Sunday papers.
LOL @ "Growes." You already see that here in San Francisco, since it's medically legal and highly tolerated... we have a free newspaper called "The Advertiser," which is about 50% full of ads for cannabis clubs, grow shops, and other pot-related retailers. I use this newspaper to line my snake cages (since it's free), and often laugh when I get a photo like this:

Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 AM

18 posts, read 50,896 times
The only "hard part" about the control of usage, would to be able to legally prove if a person is "under the influence." So the guy that's to stoned to hit the brakes or whatever the case on hand is, would be tested and proved how legally he was under the influence? Perhaps the European countries have a method? Has far has the drug tests for jobs, I see them just simply not testing for THC but still testing for cocaine and ect.
But I am all for it and hope that it does stimulate the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates