Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,909,006 times

Advertisements

Actually many people do not know how to eat healthy, how to prepare healthy meals and the difference between foods. SO, I don't know if stupid is the correct word but many are quite ignorant of nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Honestly Memphis, don't you think people already know what is and isn't healthy? I mean, just how stupid are we?

It's like smoking. Are there really any smokers who don't know that it is potentially (probably) very harmful to their health?

I don't think we have an information problem. I think we have a self-discipline problem.

Now if you'll pardon me, it's Triple Whopper For A Dollar night at BK...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM

45,498 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Did you even read my original post?

I said, numerous times, I do not advocate forcing anyone to eat any specific kind of diet. If someone wants to eat McDonalds day in, day out, three meals a day, 365 days a year, thats their business. It'll kill them, but its their business.

My post was aimed at the social standards that we have for ourselves. Seems like Americans feel that you've got to eat red meat, and lots of it, often during the week. Most nutrition experts suggest you eat no more than a few ounces of red meat in the day. Thats somewhere around the size of a childs hamburger daily. I've gone beyond that, I don't eat hamburger, ever. Its disgusting what goes into cheap burger meat at fast food joints. My grandmother was a USDA meat inspector, and I know whats in that crap.

I think we should simply change the moral standards.
So you do want to force your beliefs on others
Eating a T-bone daily doesn't make you rich.
Who says it does? I've never been told that.
Eating sausage every morning for breakfast isn't good for you, even though it tastes good, and maybe your father did it.
He also had bacon.
Thats my point, doctors need to start telling people what they need to eat,
Mine does and always has. In fact even though I am only 12 pounds heavier than I was 30 years ago in my mid 20s she is constantly telling me to drop 20 pounds to get down to 165. I'm almost 6 ft. tall.
We need to have education courses showing people how to eat well.
Those classes have been taught for years, in Health and what used to be called Home Ec.
I actually like Omahas idea of taxing higher saturated fat foods, and sugary drinks. That'll never happen though, people would throw a fit if they can't have 6 Mt. Dews a day.
So what I am understanding is that, your protestations to the contrary, you do want to force people to eat what you think they should instead of allowing them to make their own decisions.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So what I am understanding is that, your protestations to the contrary, you do want to force people to eat what you think they should instead of allowing them to make their own decisions.
No, I want to change the social norm. The social norm is to accept, hell even to encourage this behavior.

I want to change that from accept, but don't encourage.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,906,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Actually many people do not know how to eat healthy, how to prepare healthy meals and the difference between foods. SO, I don't know if stupid is the correct word but many are quite ignorant of nutrition.
Very, very true. I used to teach public nutrition and never quite got used to the vast ignorance out there when it comes to food and nutrition practices. And from people I assume should know better- including teachers... and doctors!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,692,405 times
I feel compassion for those whose forks are spooning in ill health and send them good wishes that they moderate their food to spoon in wellness. When we love truly love and accept ourselves it is very difficult to fill ourselves with foods that harm us.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 AM

25 posts, read 34,948 times
Red meat is not the problem.

Also, i'm not sure why you are focusing on the red meat found at fast-food joints. I wouldn't trust anything that came from a fast food joint. However, ground beef at the market is not 'unhealthy' for you to eat. IMO, overall health has far more to do with your overall diet and exercise regime rather than whether you have sworn off 'red meat' because someone says they did as well and they happen to look good.

If you notice on many of those 'studies' that try to show a correlation between red meat and cancers, they usually have people divided into two groups. The first is perhaps a mediterranean-type diet and the other involves fast food, red meat, fries, whatever. Then after 20 or so years they look at the cancer rates of those people who reported eating more 'red meat' and 'conclude' that red meat is linked to cancer, while ignoring the other foods that people in the 'red meat' group were eating.

Be wary of these studies. They are horribly flawed.

In general, if you are going to eat a higher-fat diet, you need to control your carbs. High carbs (especially processed carbs like bread, bagels, pastries, sweets, etc) plus a high fat intake should be avoided.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS_2009 View Post
Red meat is not the problem.

Also, i'm not sure why you are focusing on the red meat found at fast-food joints. I wouldn't trust anything that came from a fast food joint. However, ground beef at the market is not 'unhealthy' for you to eat. IMO, overall health has far more to do with your overall diet and exercise regime rather than whether you have sworn off 'red meat' because someone says they did as well and they happen to look good.

If you notice on many of those 'studies' that try to show a correlation between red meat and cancers, they usually have people divided into two groups. The first is perhaps a mediterranean-type diet and the other involves fast food, red meat, fries, whatever. Then after 20 or so years they look at the cancer rates of those people who reported eating more 'red meat' and 'conclude' that red meat is linked to cancer, while ignoring the other foods that people in the 'red meat' group were eating.

Be wary of these studies. They are horribly flawed.

In general, if you are going to eat a higher-fat diet, you need to control your carbs. High carbs (especially processed carbs like bread, bagels, pastries, sweets, etc) plus a high fat intake should be avoided.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/health/28brod.html

I've got lots more studies, and all of them agree. Diets high in red meat, mean you face a high probability of a lower life span, cardiovascular health issues, and an overall diminished life experience.

As I said, in three weeks, lowering my red meat intake has dropped 10lbs off of my body. Not that I need to loose a lot of weight, I'm quite healthy, (6'4", 210lbs before, 200 now) although the BMI says I should weigh 170, which is nuts, I'd be a stick.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, I want to change the social norm.
How would you propose to go about doing this? You know that you can't simply legislate such change. So I'm interested to know what you'd do to change social norms.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM

28 posts, read 54,804 times
Venison: The other (healthy) red meat.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,380 times
Doctors and health reports have been telling people it's wise to cut back on red meat for some time now. No new news.

The individual should make the decision to change their eating habits if they're bad, not society. If they choose to kill themselves on fatty foods, let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates