Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Is the Census nothing more than a tradition, that is no longer necessary in its present form? The Census Bureau is busy at work all decade long, updating data based on available information, which is plentiful in these day when privacy is only a distant memory.

Before the Census even begins, they know exactly how many houses there are and where they are (I bet they have Google Earth). What is the point of going to every house and make sure people identify themselves? Why do we need to know that on such and such a date, there were exactly 73,089 people living in a certain city---a number than changes the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Its important to know where everyone is living. For instance, I have moved 3 times, in 4 years. I still get mail at my old address in Michigan.

Its important to know where people are, to direct the right services, and the right money to the right area.

I see nothing wrong with the census, I think its a good thing, and something that should be done from time to time. The government doesn't know everything, contrary to popular belief.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,735 times
It's not important if you don't care about representation. Congress has 435 members, of which are given a set amount of constituents. If you don't report, you don't count for your district. If you're a paranoid teabagger and you want to ensure that you're even less relevant to the real world, you should ignore your census form.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,446 times
The Census failed to send forms to lots of people I know. The house to house canvas should pick up at least some of these.

Since Federal funds and election districts are based on the number of people, those who fail to return the form - or refuse - are simply denying their town or city money it needs and deserves, and proportional representation in Congress among other things.

You know that saying about taxation without representation? Well, the Census makes sure you and your neighbors are counted.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM

51 posts, read 48,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is the Census nothing more than a tradition, that is no longer necessary in its present form? The Census Bureau is busy at work all decade long, updating data based on available information, which is plentiful in these day when privacy is only a distant memory.

Before the Census even begins, they know exactly how many houses there are and where they are (I bet they have Google Earth). What is the point of going to every house and make sure people identify themselves? Why do we need to know that on such and such a date, there were exactly 73,089 people living in a certain city---a number than changes the next day.
I don't mind the census, per se. However, the Constitution authorizes and "enumeration", which is to enumerate or "count". It ISN"T statistically profiling, it is counting, and it's purpose is for congressional apportionment.

I distrust this administration/congress more than I distrust the blooks or crips, or the mob. They politicize everything, and the census is not exempt.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:41 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtrms View Post
I don't mind the census, per se. However, the Constitution authorizes and "enumeration", which is to enumerate or "count". It ISN"T statistically profiling, it is counting, and it's purpose is for congressional apportionment.

I distrust this administration/congress more than I distrust the blooks or crips, or the mob. They politicize everything, and the census is not exempt.

I distrust them too.. I mean, these guys are clearly trying to destroy Mureka with their showshilist policies!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,147 times
What the census is trying to determine is important. Using a census to accomplish that is costly and antiquated.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Age demographic information is very important to see where the economy is headed.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I have no particular distrust for the objectives of the census or the people doing it. But I am not convinced that we will always in the future be able to trust people who will have access to the census. Like, now useful would the 1930 census of Germany have been to Hitler? In my view, the American people have a right to be wherever they want to be on April 1 2010, and should not be obliged to tell anybody where that is.

It's a privacy principle. A person ought to have a right to identify himself as "John Doe, his wife and two children" if he wants to. As a practical matter, he does have that right, since the census is not empowered to verify the accuracy of the statements given. I think it is the responsibility of the Census Bureau and the Media to disclose that fact, so people who do not wish to reveal their identity do not feel obliged to. We can know how many people there are in a congressional district, without listing all their names, ages, etc.

As for "where the economy is headed", that is a valid consideration ONLY if you consider the American people to be an exploitable natural resource or commodity, to be harvested by shareholders for profit. To them, 'where the people are' is of no more interest than 'where the iron ore is'. People and iron ore are of equal value and interest to the economy.

Finally, the information we already have is close enough. The Census Bureau estimates the population every year, without knocking on a single door. The estimated population of Kankakee, Illinois, was 26,710 in 2008, and 27,491 in 2000. I'll bet the farm that the 2010 census will show it to be within a couple of hundred of 26.600, unless something unusual happened in Kankakee, that the Census Burean knows about and can use to make the adjustment. Why do we need any more accuracy than that?

Here's the funny part. The Census Bureau will estimate the population of Kankakee to be 26.600, and if they come up with only 26.400, they will say "We must have missed some people." They assume their estimate to be correct (because it probably is, it is based on very reliable data), and then run the census to see how close they come. Tell me that's not a waste.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-11-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
Anyone get the census letter in the mail, and then less than a week later receive a "you must return the census or face punishment by law" letter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates