Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
ya know, I've been thinking about that very question. how to pay for it and there has to be an answer. I no longer drive but my husband drives. My sister and brother in law drive. this is why I started to write the column.

truckers pay a fuel tax and road use tax. wouldn't it make sense to use money from those funds to build shelters? there are already rest areas in most states (that are still open) so there is already a place for drivers to park so maybe put in a shelter in those places. Texas has a few, like in Quanah.
this topic is dear to my heart because I've been on some of these roads during a tornado warning and let me tell ya...it is scary. hwy 2 in nebraska has no shoulder for stopping let alone finding a safe place in the event of a tornado. Plus, they say what county the tornado is in and that leaves drivers wondering where the heck these things are.
I was outside a town in Kansas that got wiped out a few years ago by a tornado. I saw that thing and was fortunate to see a rest area. by the time I got back on the road that tornado destroyed the town.
One other thing. my husband was in Memphis TN last year during a tornado and they would not let him inside the plant. the tornado took out the building next to the plant. really scary. He doesn't haul out of that plant anymore.

That would make sense. At least it would help a little. I've been in hurricanes, but never a tornado (knock on wood). I can't imagine not helping someone in a circumstance like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates