Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times

Advertisements

Your right Huck, lets move the responsibility to the perpetrators.

Everytime a youth "treatment" facility has a child arrested for being combative--they should lose funding immediately. Everytime, that said facility posts on their websites the happy smiling faces of success rates then they should be investigated for every child that "failed" that program. They should have a record of why kids were not admitted to the facility.

If a kid's "rap sheet" has 9 charges and 6 were from facilities and there is documentation that the child is mentally ill then the facility should be charged with child abuse. Neglect. Same goes for a psych ward of a hospital. I'm sorry, I meant the adolescent behavioral unit. My bad. You see, if someone is psychotic and they are in a psych ward and that person lashes out and hits you, the answer is...send them to jail? I don't think so.

Everytime, the policy changes and a child is denied services because the money should be spent "in-state" those people, like the governor, should be charged with child abuse and neglect.

Everytime a parent has a child arrested for battery and they were fighting, I want the parent arrested too. 9 out of 10 times they were fighting like they are off the street.

People need to wake up. Religious affiliated organizations (treatment facilities) do not work. They don't work. Why are the funded? They pick and choose. That is neglect.

Hey, we have dedicated hard-azzes in there, but we have kids that need and it ain't there. I don't think "mentoring" is the solution.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 06-04-2010 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Individuals who lead a life of crime usually have unstable childhoods..

So instead of all the name calling, finger pointing and hostility, why don't you DO something and help?? Maybe then you will realize how severely individuals, more specifically children, can be impacted by the type of environment they've been placed in.
My guess is that the unstable childhoods are the reason for the title of your thread. All they learn is how to point out problems but are never taught how to brainstorm to come up with solutions to these problems. Some people actually need to be taught how to problem solve. They need to hear out loud what their parents are thinking and maybe these parents don't know how to problem solve either.

When things are going well in the family, there are lots of explanations and how tos told to the kids, but when there is conflict, say the kid misbehaves, he is banished to his room or spanked and told not to do it again. Instead this is the best opportunity to teach them right from wrong and allow the KIDS to come up with solutions on how to behave appropriately.

Involve the kids in problem solving, even when they are the problem is the point of my post.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Whole bunch of sweeping generalizations here

Yep and the key to success in education is to throw alot of money at it;or we have been told for generations.But astill we see that kids of the depression and poor kids have gone to great heights in a competitive free society.Maybe it has more to do with the acceptance of what is successs now days.I mean when pimps and dope dealers become TV hereoes and celbrities somethinhg has changed.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,653 times
Allow every felony to carry the death penalty to be summarily carried out within a week.
And apply to everyone over the age of 12 who can be proven to be otherwise mentally stable.
This would be applicable in cities where the crime rate is really high.

In cities where it is minor some of the mentoring and guidance programs, with mandatory participation by parents seems like a practical option.
And in the high crime cities have the above working simultaneously with the death penalty.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Also there have always been things like this . cub scouts;boy scout and girl scouts just to name a few but they are quickly disappearing.Why;lack of interest. In the end as long has there are excepted bad behavior like in the recent past there will be more than the old 15 that your mpother warns you about. Wiht the widw spread drug problem they can satrt very young to actaully make good money in crime and of course actaully not see much in the way of rsponsibilty for committing those crimes. juvenikle system is a slap on the hand and out system.Juvenile are very aware of this but society truns a blind eye because of cost and not wanting to make them responsible. Its noit crimianl act but a social disease until they become a adult.Society always thinks that all people are basically good;while individauls know that isn't true.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Crime cannot be discussed in any real serious way except when certain types of crime are segmented for the purpose of studying the cause and effect of said crimes. I think the original attempt here was to ask what we could do to prevent certain types of criminals from developing, and yes we can do things to stave off the growing class of youthful criminals. The causes of violent crimes are too many to discuss here, but we all know that the main concern is for those young kids who are at risk of joining gangs for the purpose of engaging in illegal work, yes gangs are just business enterprises. Drug dealing could be taken away from the gangs as their number one revenue source, but our moralizing of this question has rendered it impossible to debate in a reasonable manner.

Eliminating the cause of crime has been the main focus of so much of social science over the last hundred years that you'd think we'd have a solution by now, and we just may have been on the right track until the pie shrunk to the extent that it's every man for himself now. In those impoverished countries around the world crime is just a way of life for a large percentage of the populace, crimes ranging from fairly mild scams to outright brutal attacks and murder are commonplace.

We could end up in the same boat due to the economic debacle of recent times and the resulting cost cutting for all kinds of programs that have been good deterrents for at risk youth. Crime and poverty are two sides of one coin, the braying of those naysayers won't change that paradigm, the general consensus of the multitude of studies regarding poverty and its causes seems to support the idea that most people can readily agree with the reality of economic classes being the norm in human societal constructs, they just can't as readily accept the consequences of that reality.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,081 times
Quote:

So instead of all the name calling, finger pointing and hostility, why don't you DO something and help?? Maybe then you will realize how severely individuals, more specifically children, can be impacted by the type of environment they've been placed in.

"Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to help children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with mentors that try to have a measurable impact on youth.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is one of the oldest and largest youth mentoring organizations in the United States. Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors children, ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country."

"

National research has shown that positive relationships between youth and their Big Brothers and Big Sisters mentors have a direct and measurable impact on children's lives. Statistics show that Little Brothers and Sisters are:
  • More confident in their schoolwork performance
  • Able to get along better with their families
  • 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
  • 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
  • 52% less likely to skip school.
  • likely to go to college "
At first I was going to reply in my typical sarcastic manor but after a few minutes of thought I decided I would go home tonight and speak to my wife about this. I'm sure there is a little kid who could use some positive influence to see that the only barriers in life are self-made. Blaming my/your parents for being dealt a crappy hand is nothing more than a cop-out and reason to sit in a pool of self-pitty.
Pay it forward! I'll do what I can to find an organization in my area to lift the spirits and solidify potential to a youth who has lost sight of the possible!

Thanks for reminding me that the intension alone isn't enough but action is required too, action on the part of the pointer not the pointed!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:

"Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to help children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with mentors that try to have a measurable impact on youth.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is one of the oldest and largest youth mentoring organizations in the United States. Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors children, ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country."

"
National research has shown that positive relationships between youth and their Big Brothers and Big Sisters mentors have a direct and measurable impact on children's lives. Statistics show that Little Brothers and Sisters are:
  • More confident in their schoolwork performance
  • Able to get along better with their families
  • 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
  • 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
  • 52% less likely to skip school.
  • likely to go to college "
Because that would be profiling.

it's about justice for the victim not about fixing the deviant.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM

155 posts, read 283,189 times
I totally agree the ones who often complain about inner city kids and etc are alot of times the ones who JUST COMPLAIN and thats it!
things can't change if we just complain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates