Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM

328 posts, read 997,153 times

Advertisements

It seems when you hear about bullying stories it is always grade school or high school and never college. Maybe the solution to bullying is treating high school students more like college students? Maybe if they are treated more like adults they in turn will act more mature?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Even though I find it appalling that making fun of the way people dress, where they shop or what they eat has become an acceptable national form of entertainment............. we still have to realize that kids making fun of other kids or bullying for lunch money is not something new. Every generation has has their own social hurdles to live through.

I realize the cyber bullying is tough because so many people have access to it, but it would be better for all young people to realize they have to learn to survive their own environment. Patting kids on the head and saying we are going to try to get rid of the 'mean people' is unrealistic. We would do best teaching our kids to have self confidence in whoever they are and if all else fails.....pay someone to teach them how to hack computers.

Surviving comes from learning how to win with what you've got....not thinking you can stop people people who seem as though they have more or are stronger....or are more popular.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Maybe the solution to bullying is treating high school students more like college students?
How would this work? I think in college people are more free to self-select who they associate with and are able to shed the baggage that going to grade school and high school with the same group of people for year brings. I think it's the new environment of college that does this, so unless you are suggesting that high school students should be bussed to other schools, I don't know how it would work.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I think most of the bully type kids have either grown up or never go to college.

Besides, unlike High School, you can take your gun to school if you have a CW permit (here in UT anyway) Bullying doesn't tend to be particularly effective against armed victims.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think most of the bully type kids have either grown up or never go to college.

Besides, unlike High School, you can take your gun to school if you have a CW permit (here in UT anyway) Bullying doesn't tend to be particularly effective against armed victims.
You're allowed to carry a gun with you into class?! I thought you were only allowed to own a gun to deter intruders - why would anyone anywhere need one in a classroom?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
It seems when you hear about bullying stories it is always grade school or high school and never college. Maybe the solution to bullying is treating high school students more like college students? Maybe if they are treated more like adults they in turn will act more mature?

Any thoughts?
What is college bullying? The Peace Studies majors making fun of the Gender Studies majors? No seriously, what is it?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You're allowed to carry a gun with you into class?! I thought you were only allowed to own a gun to deter intruders - why would anyone anywhere need one in a classroom?
The idea of carrying a concealed weapon is to protect yourself, period. Not just from an intruder.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

Why would you only be able to own a gun to deter intruders? There are literally dozens of good reasons to own a gun.

As to why you would need one in a classroom, I'll just say Virginia Tech & Columbine. Two tragedies that wouldn't have happened if schools were not perceived as gun free areas.

Anyway, bullying is just a fact of life. Its always been present but years ago sooner or later the bully landed on his a$$ after getting stomped by a victim.
Today they teach kids not to fight back & they treat the bully with tenderness & love. Makes perfect sense that more of them grow to adulthood without learning the things boys used to learn on the way to manhood. I'd say about half, maybe more, of our adult males dont qualify to be men beyond the biological stuff.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Why is it any surprise? Bullying occurs in all walks of life.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
The reason why there's less bullying in college than school, or what I think the OP really means, among people aged about 20 compared to aged 12 or so, is that most children have the capacity to do cruel things without thinking about the consequences for other people, and most adults don't. People mature, and generally positively. Also somebody who aged 12 wouldn't know how to defend themselves perhaps would with an extra few years of life experience. Thirdly, a lot of bullying comes from having to spend time with people you don't get on with. A college student would have more opportunity to choose the people they spend time with than a typical 12-year-old and wouldn't generally spend as much time with people/doing things they don't like.

And sorry for going OT a bit but about the gun thing - if I'd been at Columbine that day and the two gunmen (can't remember their names) had burst into my classroom and I'd had a gun in my pocket, I'd have just been allowed to kill them and get away with it, or shoot them just to wound them, or threaten them, or what? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates