Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

LONDON, March 26 (UPI) -- Diesel cars, once considered better for the environment, are losing favor in Britain as authorities raise parking fees for them.

The London borough of Kensington and Chelsea is slapping a $24 surcharge on parking permits for diesel vehicles, and other urban areas are expected to follow, The Daily Telegraph reports. The most expensive parking permit, for cars like the diesel Range Rover, will cost $282.

Read more: Britain turning against diesel cars - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
BUT BUT BUT

Diesel engines emit less CO2, isn't that what the eco-terrorists are worried about and Al Gore wants to charge for with his carbon credits?

This must be a conspiracy THEY want more CO2 pumped into the air so THEY can get more money from their carbon credit scam........

Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This must be a conspiracy THEY want more CO2 pumped into the air so THEY can get more money from their carbon credit scam........
It IS the UK... count on it being a covert conspiracy. ALL will PAY more. (except Gore, he will never feel the pain).

Bio-fuels are not as popular in UK as in western Europe (Germans are probably buying all the Bio-Feedstock). AND many UK diesels are NOT clean (ex. Range Rover ).

This might mean Lower Diesel and heating oil costs
(don't count on it.)

Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
I remember way back in 2001 when I bought my VW diesel, it was about $1.08 a gallon. Once the secret got out that it was a better, cleaner fuel for cars the price sky rocketed. Now the price of diesel is more expensive than gas, plus I have to pay an extra fee to get my tags renewed once a year just because it's a diesel. Not to mention I have a mandatory emissions test every year. Try to find a diesel emissions testing site for cars and light trucks only. It's not that easy. I hope the guy I go to for my emissions testing doesn't retire any time soon.

One would think since I get about 50 mpg I'd get some kind of a break like those stupid hybrids that have half the power and only recently have tried to get close to what I get on mpg. How in the world does that make sense? It's a good thing I don't live in Britain...I'd probably "lose it" if I had to pay another fee to own one. It's diesel discrimination!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Moast ewuropean diesel do not meet Us requiremnts and diesel requiremnts will be much stricter in the future its said.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Diesels emit less CO2 but they emit more of other pollutants... Like the ones that create smog.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
BUT BUT BUT

Diesel engines emit less CO2, isn't that what the eco-terrorists are worried about and Al Gore wants to charge for with his carbon credits?

Diesels do put out significantly less CO2, they do however pollute more than petrols locally.

This is not by any means new, diesels make smog and amongst other things, can make it hard for Asthmatics etc to be outside. Private diesel vehicle are banned in several inner cities in France as well as Italy and restricted in certain cities in for instance Norway.

There's nothing new here, the UK is just late to the party.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Diesels flat stink to high heaven;IMO.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
It must be for the older diesels?

Even in the UK they have the new DPF filters on the new diesels.

Using a DPF the air leaving the tail pipe is almost cleaner than when it went into the air cleaner.

ULSD, does not contain the sulfur so the smell has been diminished.

They may still smell some but today a gas vehicle has more stink that a modern diesel does.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It must be for the older diesels?

Even in the UK they have the new DPF filters on the new diesels.

Using a DPF the air leaving the tail pipe is almost cleaner than when it went into the air cleaner.

ULSD, does not contain the sulfur so the smell has been diminished.

They may still smell some but today a gas vehicle has more stink that a modern diesel does.
Diesel Particle Filters actually only catch a smaller amount of the "smog" toxins, and they release particles much smaller that carry further in the air. They put forth these restrictions because the air in several cities, especially during winter, is poisonous solely because the increase in diesel cars, DPS filters included.

Mercedes might be on to something with their Urea spray technology, but it's still a while off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living