Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 04:14 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,366 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and want to build a 3'x3' sealed box with a 100' roll of 3/4" i.d. black plastic coiled up in it. My aim is to provide enough hot water for a 5 minute shower ; I live alone and like cooler showers at around 90 f. water temp. Until now, ive been using my 40 gal. electric water heater .

Is anyone using black plastic pipe to heat domestic hot water or swimming pool with good sucess ? How long does it take to heat up the water in direct sunlight, diffused sunlight, and no sunlight and what kind of water temps. are you getting out of it ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 04:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
check the melting temp of the piping - our system can hit boiling (we have 2 Heliodyne 4'x8' flat plate collectors).

Here is a page with a bunch of DIY solar thermal:

Solar Water Heating Projects and Plans

Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
i dont know about for house use, but we have a system like that for the pool... the pump takes the water through a seres of black pipes that are laid out on the top of our shed...
but it actually often gets too hot so we had to put a rgulator on it to keep it around 80 lol and were in ct...

so it could absolutly work

Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
check the melting temp of the piping - our system can hit boiling (we have 2 Heliodyne 4'x8' flat plate collectors).

Here is a page with a bunch of DIY solar thermal:

Solar Water Heating Projects and Plans
Wow...thanks for that site. Very comprehensive.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i dont know about for house use, but we have a system like that for the pool... the pump takes the water through a seres of black pipes that are laid out on the top of our shed...
but it actually often gets too hot so we had to put a rgulator on it to keep it around 80 lol and were in ct...

so it could absolutly work
Yikes...I think i need to check the max. temp. this black plastic pipe can stand .........and possibly go with a roll of Copper tubing instead.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
We use to use a plastic barrel. mounted in a rack above our heads as a shower at our camp we used even druig the winter on sunny texas days.We actually could get quite a fewer showers out of it;no problem. Pretty simple and lasted for years. Nothing new really.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yikes...I think i need to check the max. temp. this black plastic pipe can stand .........and possibly go with a roll of Copper tubing instead.
This summer is supposed to be the year we put the greenhouse in (although the way projects are stacking up, that looks questionable). We found some old "hot air" solar system components and plan to use the glass-topped insulated metal boxes (each 3'x4'), run copper tubing in them and use them to heat multiple 55 gal water drums in the greenhouse, under the vegetable beds, for winter heating.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
This summer is supposed to be the year we put the greenhouse in (although the way projects are stacking up, that looks questionable). We found some old "hot air" solar system components and plan to use the glass-topped insulated metal boxes (each 3'x4'), run copper tubing in them and use them to heat multiple 55 gal water drums in the greenhouse, under the vegetable beds, for winter heating.
Once you get that done, I would really appreciate seeing some pictures and hearing how well it operates for you. Please PM me when youre all done with the project. Many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living