Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Add all the frozen methane locked up in the deep oceans and you have a HUGE source of methane to pollute the air and hold the heat from the sun. We're talking pressure cooker temps here!!!
The USGS has known about and documented huge deposits of methane in our oceans as far back as 1992 and write favorably about it.

Did we invest in it though? no, we subsidized solar and wind energy instead

Quote:
The worldwide amounts of carbon bound in gas hydrates is conservatively estimated to total twice the amount of carbon to be found in all known fossil fuels on Earth.
This estimate is made with minimal information from U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and other studies. Extraction of methane from hydrates could provide an enormous energy and petroleum feedstock resource. Additionally, conventional gas resources appear to be trapped beneath methane hydrate layers in ocean sediments.
USGS Fact sheet: Gas (Methane) Hydrates -- A New Frontier

Last edited by plwhit; 12-19-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I've heard about attribution of methane to cow flatulence but what's going on here? Polar bear farts?
There are huge pockets of methane trapped under the Permafrost. and frozen waters of the arctic. As the waters and permafrost are now melting, the methane is being released. I have seen the evidence, and it is scary.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
I truly believe that this tipping point is irreversible and will be THE tipping point.

Is anyone else here familiar with the ClimateProgress blog, Joe Romm's climate blog? I follow it religiously. And depressingly. There are so few signs of hope.

Climate Progress | ThinkProgress

An article about the permafrost bomb: Nature Bombshell: Climate Experts Warn Thawing Permafrost Could Cause 2.5 Times the Warming of Deforestation! | ThinkProgress

Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I truly believe that this tipping point is irreversible and will be THE tipping point.
What's this make according to global warmers?

The 10th? 12th tipping point?

I guess sometime within the next 5-10 million years some type of tipping point will occur other then a GW-type tripping over their own feet.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What's this make according to global warmers?

The 10th? 12th tipping point?

I guess sometime within the next 5-10 million years some type of tipping point will occur other then a GW-type tripping over their own feet.
Eventually there's going to be a tipping point to end all tipping points.

Unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20 & in this case.....we'll all be in very, very bad shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living