Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times

Advertisements

I am well aware that the news media is no longer in the business of factual reporting or even basic journalism, but the evening NBC news on the 26th of April struck a new low and I am SICK AND TIRED of BLATANT LIES to further the Green agenda.

In a story on the TARA expedition and arctic ice melt, the voice over of Lester Holt stated that "It is estimated that melt from Greenland could result in a three foot rise in sea levels, eventually threatening cities from New York to Shanghai."

OK, everybody got an image in their mind of three feet - a yardstick stuck on end - less than crotch height of many adults - four inches higher than an average desktop?

THIS is what NBC ran for the graphic of a three foot rise in sea level hitting New York: Oh yeah - moderators - this is a classic fair use of the image in the pursuit of REAL journalism, it violates no copyright. In point of fact I have a strong feeling that NBC News lifted the image from a tv movie about a tsunami from a meteor impact in the ocean hitting New York. I'm fairly sure I've seen the image before elsewhere.

Just in case you were wondering, here is a link to a geodesic map of NYC around Battery Park.

TerraServer - The Leader In Online Imagery - Aerial Photos & Satellite Images

The elevation lines show 10 feet and 20 feet. The tanker truck in the lower right of the picture appears to have water at least six feet up the side, making the MINIMUM rise in sea level at 16 feet.

Most folks pass stuff like this by without any critical thinking, and worse yet, any kids watching are subjected to massive fear tactics that they do not have the capacity to parse. The is not news, this is not journalism, this is not even the truth. It is a bald-faced LIE that doesn't even have the credibility of linking the visual and auditory. Whenever some extremist whines that the people who don't buy into global warming hook line and sinker are making up data, give them a link to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
...and they wonder why so many Americans are simply choosing to turn off the "news".

Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Maybe they meant Meters instead of feet, or maybe fathoms. I agree that this picture is total nonsense and does nothing but discredit the concept of global climate change. Possibly this is why they ran it.

Always look beyond the surface and try to perceive ultimate motives.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,841 times
Probably why we should guide our decisions by the science and not the nightly news. I also saw Jim Hansen take Jame Rogers to task for not walking his clean talk. Good report on 60 minutes.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Maybe they meant Meters instead of feet, or maybe fathoms. I agree that this picture is total nonsense and does nothing but discredit the concept of global climate change. Possibly this is why they ran it.

Always look beyond the surface and try to perceive ultimate motives.
If you look back at my posts, you'll note that I did the math on what would happen in a couple of scenarios. A 20 foot rise over about twenty decades is about a worst case scenario. Three feet by the end of the century is a big stretch, and only the totally math illiterate would claim a measurement of thee meters or three fathoms. Besides, what has the "News" come to when we have to start making excuses like "What he really meant to say was..." They earn a heck of a lot more than I do, have access to professionals from all walks of life, and are supposed to hold to a higher standard.

FWIW, If you study the archeologists findings in the Mediterranean, or even peruse some old National Geographics, you'll find that many of the ancient seacoast cities are partially or totally underwater now. This obviously occurred before the widespread use of fossil fuels. The ocean levels are not fixed when viewed over hundreds or thousands of years, and never have been.

The bottom line on the NBC news story is that there is no excuse for the error. None whatsoever. I have watched the program many times and been incensed at the inaccuracies, this is merely the first time I have decided to publicize one of those. I may do more, because NOBODY is doing a regular fact check on the media.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, If you study the archeologists findings in the Mediterranean, or even peruse some old National Geographics, you'll find that many of the ancient seacoast cities are partially or totally underwater now.
Heretic!

You know good and well the Phoenicians used Suburbans and Hummers to carry their goods away from the seaports.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM

The media are one of the sacred cash cows of Mammon. Nobody ever checks their accuracy and they are not about to do it themselves. News media, at least TV news, used to cost money because they investigated stories and reported actual (more or less) news. Now they are part of the corporate profit structure and provide "infotainment" instead of news in order to attract more audience and more advertizing money. There is also an obvious propaganda portion of TV in general and News in particular.

The media are not about to check on themselves and any check by the government would be a violation of their First Amendment right to make it up as they go along or as their paymasters tell them too. I do not expect them to change because their audiences simply are too happy with the kind of “News” they are getting. After all a juicy sex/politics/movie star story is far more important than finding out a local judge has been selling justice for decades.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
You can see the same thing all over. I love the reports that state "Denver could become a port town if the ice cap X melts"...doesn't matter that sea levels would have to rise almost a mile to get there.

Sea level map estimator based on varying estimates and platted on Google maps.

Sea Level Rise Explorer - Global Warming Art

Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
I'm just waiting til that dead volcano in the Canary Islands falls into the sea and gives my 20-mile-inland-from Hilton-Head-Island property the status of "beachfront". Nyahh nyahhh.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Granny does have a point. Except the sea level would resume after it carried anything movable in the twenty miles out into the ocean. But then if yellowstone lets go Granny will be shoveling a couple yards of volcanic ash off the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living