Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 AM

50 posts, read 146,832 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting certified for green buildings LEED certificate. Does anyone have any experience? What benefits are there to get this? Please answer only if you are certified or know about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketanco View Post
I am considering getting certified for green buildings LEED certificate. Does anyone have any experience? What benefits are there to get this? Please answer only if you are certified or know about the issue.
Are you referring to you getting accredited as an individual, or you having a new or existing building LEED certified?

Two very different things, guessing you are referring to the former and this is for you as a career development path. Try these for more info:

Benefits of LEED credentials | U.S. Green Building Council

The no-excuses guide: Earn your LEED Credential in 3 easy steps | U.S. Green Building Council

Why I

Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Our property has spent the last 3 months gathering backup information for submission for a "Green Key Certification". It's more for hotels and hospitality businesses it looks like. It's based on a "5 key system"... we're aiming for 4 keys.

Green Key

Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketanco View Post
I think this is the certification my daughter just received from a huge test she took - she's a senior at university of maryland and her major is sustainability. I will ask her for you.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
I'm in construction (estimator/project manager on commercial and public works projects for a sub contractor) and I've talked to a few people that took the LEED AP test and got certified. They work as PMs for General Contractors. I was interested in earning the LEED AP. They took the class because they thought they were going to earn more money with their credential and lead them to a 'green' career. The LEED AP hasn't helped them at all to go farther in their careers. Perhaps one day down the road when building comes back the credential will benefit them. If you're an architect or work in the building department of your city the certification will definitely give you an edge. IMO there's just not enough jobs (that require the cert) for everyone that has the cert or wishes to earn the cert. Also, the prices of the classes are way too expensive. I've seen prices go as high as $1800 for a few days of classroom sessions, a practice exam and then the real exam. I took a Project Engineer course not too long ago and my instructor (also the person in charge of all construction at that university) got the cert and recommended I go for it since I'm interested in green buildings/sustainability. For the price I think I'll pass. I've taken now about 10 courses related to green construction and none of it has helped me to land a better paying job in a 'green' construction firm. Lots of money down the drain. This is why I'm hesitant about LEED AP and solar classes. $2,000 for one a week solar course just for personal satisfaction?? Nope. The schools are making a killing. Cha-ching.

-Cheers.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
If you're an Architect or Landscape Architect it can help you but otherwise it's just another smiley face sticker on your resume. I'm a Civil Engineer and I looked in to taking the Lead Associate and AP exams but decided not to do it because I didnt feel like it would benefit me much. However, if your company is willing to pay for it then I say go for it. It would be foolish to turn down free knowledge and credentials.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Hire a LEED AP certified architect. They are a dime a dozen these days. So many got the certification when nobody was building anything, thinking it would "LEED" to a job.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Well, for commercial projects you can sit for the LEED Green Asssociate test and if you pass, you are a LEED GA. (there are 1-2 day review courses that you would probably need to take before though, its not a cakewalk)

To become a LEED Acredited Professional, you have to work on a LEED project and then take the test. It didn't used to be that way, but they made it harder.

On the residential side, there are LEED ratings also. I think some are as simple as passing the test and being certified, but I am not as sure.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM

The value of the LEED credential really varies by region. In Chicago it has become the standard for green building, and it counts.

I don't think it has really been widely adopted for small residential and commercial projects, its value is for the larger buildings where business owners can use it to attract more desirable tenants.

And the O&M system is likely where the long-term growth lies, as there are far more existing buildings that went up when energy wasn't a concern and would greatly benefit from retrofits. City, State and Federal governments are also likely to continue to using it, as the timeless nature of their services/operations make the investment worthwhile.

The Richard J Daley Center | U.S. Green Building Council

Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 PM

Once again, GSA recognizes that LEED works | U.S. Green Building Council

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

That’s what the General Services Administration (GSA) concluded again Oct. 25. After a lot of study, the GSA decided that the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED green building rating system can and should be used in government buildings. LEED, it said, advances energy efficiency and saves taxpayers’ money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living