Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

So, I've kicked my composting into high gear, but don't always make it out to the composter (and guests never do). so i want to get a container that i can empty, but one that wouldn't smell too badly if i waited 1-2 days before i did.

i found a couple that are basically countertop composters where you get charcoal filters, all seem to be $10-$30 depending on what it's made of. i was thinking about this:

http://www.casa.com/p/oxo-good-grips...la&cagpspn=pla

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
1-2 days, as long as you are not putting meat in the compost, any container will do. We have a little recycled plastic bucket with a lid that we use. It's almost a gallon size and we take it out when full. At most it sits for 3 days, never any smell.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
My under sink compost container is an old metal trash can (no lid). Empty it a couple of times a week, depending on how full it is. No problem with bugs or odor, but I live in Denver where it is very dry. You may need to empty yours more frequently.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
1-2 days, as long as you are not putting meat in the compost, any container will do. We have a little recycled plastic bucket with a lid that we use. It's almost a gallon size and we take it out when full. At most it sits for 3 days, never any smell.
^^^^^^

Cardboard can like coffee comes in, a plastic bag liner and empty it every other day or so. Keep meats out. In the morning put the previous day's coffee grounds on top, no bad smell ever.

You are reusing then recycling the plastic bag, the cardboard container lasts weeks and goes out into the garden cut up and layed flat with mulch on top.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
So, I've kicked my composting into high gear, but don't always make it out to the composter (and guests never do). so i want to get a container that i can empty, but one that wouldn't smell too badly if i waited 1-2 days before i did.

i found a couple that are basically countertop composters where you get charcoal filters, all seem to be $10-$30 depending on what it's made of. i was thinking about this:

http://www.casa.com/p/oxo-good-grips...la&cagpspn=pla

thoughts?
Think end to end (favorite saying of mine). When you buy something like that, now you are adding to the waste instead of reducing it. It takes a lot of energy to manufacture those carbon filters. Then I bet that composter is made from some type of plastic or other material that eventually ends up in a landfill.

Before you buy something ask what did it take to make it, how long will it last and what happens to it when it is no longer needed?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
We have one made from stainless steel that looks like a small trash can, about 10-12" high. The lid has filters in it. Seems to work well, and we don't have problems with odors unless we get lax and leave it there for way too long. If you empty it every 3-5 days it's usually fine.

An BTW, I was always told never to put meat in your compost pile.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM

If you need filters to moderate the smell of compost, then there is something wrong with the compost. Compost should not smell.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM

In a kitchen, compost odors can become a problem, because what collects is usually all green waste. In an outdoor compost pile, brown waste moderates the odor of decomposition. Under the sink, most people aren't going to take the time to add brown waste, because they empty the collection container frequently enough to keep any odor at bay.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In a kitchen, compost odors can become a problem, because what collects is usually all green waste. In an outdoor compost pile, brown waste moderates the odor of decomposition. Under the sink, most people aren't going to take the time to add brown waste, because they empty the collection container frequently enough to keep any odor at bay.
Which is why you don't compost in the kitchen, you only keep waste there for a day or so, then take it out to compost. When you take out the trash, the waste for compost goes out too.

Under the sink is probably the worst place to store food waste of any kind for any reason. It is usually closed, somewhat damp or at least has a high humidity and that is what causes bad smells quickly. Then, if you are storing food waste there even for a short time, it will attract insects and rodents so you end up using all sorts of things to keep them at bay.

If you are keeping food waste long enough to decompose and start to smell, you are keeping it too long.

To avoid the smell one buys filters, stainless steel containers and all that? There is nothing even close to being green or environmentally conscious in that. it is like cutting down a tree and then chipping it and saying you made mulch and isn't that great? Ah, no.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM

I think it depends on climate. As I mentioned, I live in Denver, so keeping green waste in an open bin under the sink for up to a week has never been a problem for me, but I usually empty it every 2-3 days. In a more humid and buggy environment, I would certainly empty the bin each day if not after every meal.

In any case, the OP was asking for suggestions for a collection bin. My vote is for a reused metal bin. An old trash can has worked well for me. While the OP might prefer something with a lid, I do not think filters are necessary. If things start to smell, that's a clue that it needs to be taken out.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-28-2014 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living