Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Dow Solar Shingles are behind schedule in becoming widely distributed. But from the states that it is currently allowed for distribution it seems to be doing well.

Anyone have any information on this wonderful product - how it performs, real life observations, knowledge of future roll-out expansion plans, pricing, good/better competitors, etcetera?

I cannot wait for it to hit the DC Metro Region.

DOW POWERHOUSE? Solar Shingle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
One important thing about solar panels or shingles is longevity. Panels need to be replaced approx. every 20 years. That makes a difference in the cost/benefits analysis.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Although Dow hasn’t released pricing information, it’s safe to say that these shingles are less efficient and more expensive than conventional PV modules. The efficiency of Powerhouse shingles is only 12%, while conventional crystalline PV modules have efficiencies of 18% or more. That’s why Powerhouse shingles need a larger area for the same electrical output as a comparable array of conventional PV modules.

These new roof-integrated PV products from Dow and CertainTeed face stiff competition from cheaper conventional polycrystalline PV modules. Chinese factories are churning out such modules at a frantic pace, and the price of conventional PV modules is dropping every month.
New Green Building Products

Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
IIRC - "converntional" solar collectors have to be installed OVER an existing roof but these "solar shingles" become the roof when installed. That is a huge savings right at the start. So what if they are less efficient. If they acomplish two functions at nearly the same price efficiency is a secondary consideration.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IIRC - "converntional" solar collectors have to be installed OVER an existing roof but these "solar shingles" become the roof when installed. That is a huge savings right at the start. So what if they are less efficient. If they acomplish two functions at nearly the same price efficiency is a secondary consideration.
Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

The OP asked for comments on the panels and I came across one and posted some of the comments in the article.

The OP asked for reliable information on this product, not a personal opinion devoid of accredited statistics....

Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Never heard of those, but interesting. Especially since we're looking to re-roof really soon.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

The OP asked for comments on the panels and I came across one and posted some of the comments in the article.

The OP asked for reliable information on this product, not a personal opinion devoid of accredited statistics....
Relax, his post had nothing to do with you or your posts. He made a good point in response to my comment. Chill.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Hi everyone,

Dow Solar Shingles are behind schedule in becoming widely distributed. But from the states that it is currently allowed for distribution it seems to be doing well.

Anyone have any information on this wonderful product - how it performs, real life observations, knowledge of future roll-out expansion plans, pricing, good/better competitors, etcetera?

I cannot wait for it to hit the DC Metro Region.

DOW POWERHOUSE? Solar Shingle
The company claim is that you'll get a 70% return on your investment, but that it will take 25 years to realize that return - and that is figured on homes in California (probably Southern California). They're also using an assumed increase in the value of your house, as part of their equation.

There are a lot of things wrong here.

The idea is good, but the math all wrong. Solar panels - shingles or otherwise - are fine & good. But they're also expensive, and they are NOT (at this point) cost effective. Hopefully the technology continues to improve, to the point where they DO become cost effective.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Hmm, many things have been going awry since my original post....

(1) My original query was regarding Solar Shingles -- not Solar Panels (outside of possibly a cost comparison analysis).

(2) GregW is correct; aside from aesthetic reasons, solar shingles have a dual role of being the actual part of my roofing as well as being a conduit for solar energy capture. The efficiency is lower per piece but I bet you that I can fit way more of those shingles on my roof than panels.

(3) I can believe that solar panels may be cheaper, considering Dow's product is made in the USA and it is being compared to Chinese made products. However, when you factor in labor and transportation of good costs, it may actually be cheaper to go with shingles. I am just making assumptions admittedly, but I have yet to see an actual cost analysis comparison.

(4) The 70% return of investment is in regards to the value added to the house upon selling. This is totally ignoring the actual savings made in terms of energy costs for the time you actually live in your house. Solar panels and shingles - ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW - are cost effective (assuming you make use of the federal government 30% tax credit, the state government tax refund if applicable, and that you plan on living in your house for at least a decade).

Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,240 times
Yes, solar shingles serve two purposes, but you need to consider how frequently your roofing needs to be replaced. Dow solar shingles are about 3X the cost of normal shingles. Average shingled roofs need to be replace every 20-50 years, depending on the materials. Dow solar shingles may not have paid for themselves by the time the roof needs to be replaced. Also, what are the chances PV or even roofing shingles will get much more efficient in the next 20 years? Pretty high. Personally, i would go with PV, which has a far faster payback, and look to upgrade after at some point thereafter to state of the art. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living