Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,901 times

Advertisements

I was looking at carpeting made from Polypropolene and they state it's Non Toxic. Could that really be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I was looking at carpeting made from Polypropolene and they state it's Non Toxic. Could that really be?
The Environmental Working Group classifies polypropylene as a low to moderate hazard, and many food containers, such as yogurt cups, are made from it. It is a #5 recyclable plastic.

Environmental Working Group

Old 11-12-2014, 04:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The Environmental Working Group classifies polypropylene as a low to moderate hazard, and many food containers, such as yogurt cups, are made from it. It is a #5 recyclable plastic.

Environmental Working Group
Would you buy carpeting made of it?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Would you buy carpeting made of it?
Sure, why not? I have a fleece jacket made of it.

Edit: Wait, I do, I do have an area rug made of it too. It looks like a natural fibers knotted rug, but it's actually polypropylene, and I love. When a guest spilled some greasy food on it once and left a big *splat* on it, I took it to a self-service carwash and just blasted that stain out with the high pressure wand.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:21 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
One of the trade offs is, it doesn't wear as well as nylon.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:18 PM

389 posts, read 616,725 times
Polypropylene is flammable. To sell legally sell as carpet, it needs flame retardant added. Since flame retardants are considered non-toxic, you might inquire the kind used and whether that one poses risks.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
While in a carpet the fibers stay relatively intact, when worn as a fleece type jacket, when washed they contribute to polluting the water.

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/inte.../272na2_en.pdf

The microplastic gets into the water systems and end up where they should not be.

So if you want to help take care of the environment, avoid those plastic fiber fleece type jackets.

There is plenty of research on this to support the above. Easy to find too.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify, while Polypropylene is safe to use including as containers for drinks and food, it is the waste products that it contributes to that harm the environment.

Consider the carpet. While you wouldn't have to worry about it's affect on your health per se, you should avoid poorly made carpets because the microplastics can come loose during cleaning and become an issue in the home, especially if you have an aggressive vacuum cleaner that doesn't filter very well. The microplastics can become airborne and circulate around the home, landing on food prep surfaces, the water dishes for pets and if you have fish with uncovered tanks, in that water and there it does become a health concern.

This fleece jackets someone else spoke of are probably the worst offenders when it comes to loose microplastics. The so called "fleece" comes loose just from using the garments and it can be inhaled but it is the washing of those garments that pose the more serious risk. If you reuse the gray water from clothes washing then it is rather inconsiderate of the environment to wash those fake fleece poly garments in the washer where the discharge is into the gray water system.

In summary, the poly carpet is not toxic for its intended use.

One other thing, don't take carpets like car floor mats and such made of poly and hose them off outside because that is when the microplastics create problems as they are washed off.

I mention the above because there was a rather lively debate here about thin plastic bags and the harm from them when they break up into microplastics, this is more or less the same issue here.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Just don't keep your doors and windows open. Polypro deteriorates in sunlight.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just don't keep your doors and windows open. Polypro deteriorates in sunlight.
So do the people wearing the stuff.

Some of the microplastic flys around in the air, lands in their hair if they have some or scalp if not and could deteriorate right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living