Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,866,016 times

Advertisements

Hey...you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. We need earl and gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:58 AM

497 posts, read 430,711 times
You clearly have no idea about how science works. There is no such thing as 'proof' in science (that is reserved for mathematics and alcohol), just evidence, uncertainty and probability. This is particularly true with stochastic processes such as earthquakes. The scientists that are studying the increase in earth quakes (in OK and elsewhere) are stating that this injection wells are the most likely cause of the increase in earthquakes, with a stated confidence level.

But to follow your logic, what is the 'proof' that fracking is not causing these earth quakes? Can you prove that fracking is safe? (that is a rhetorical question, of course you can't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
When "they" become willing to say "There is NO doubt about it, fracking causes earthquakes!" I will be willing to listen to them.
However, at the present time, "they" are very careful to add in terms like "It is quite probable..." and "There is little doubt..." and "It is very likely..." depending on which article you are reading.
Which is to say, "they" don't REALLY KNOW, but if "they" can frighten enough people, "they" will get lots of grant money to study the issue, and in a few years "they" will be ready to make a definitive statement, IF the money holds out.
In the meantime, "they" get lots of free publicity by frightening people.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM

37,610 posts, read 61,699,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One thing to keep in mind is the landowners are collecting royalty fees.
Only 'IF' you own the mineral rights under your land.

The vast majority of fracking is done underneath other people's land/homes, and there are no royalty fees.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,227,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The vast majority of fracking is done underneath other people's land/homes, and there are no royalty fees.
That's going to depend on your area, here in PA most of the landowners also own the mineral rights.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM

All though in this specific case, royalties to the mineral rights owner are somewhat irrelevant when the consequences of the drilling are effecting large swaths of the state. I am wondering if the companies profiting from this will ever be held accountable?

Quote:
That's going to depend on your area, here in PA most of the landowners also own the mineral rights.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
You clearly have no idea about how science works. There is no such thing as 'proof' in science (that is reserved for mathematics and alcohol), just evidence, uncertainty and probability. This is particularly true with stochastic processes such as earthquakes. The scientists that are studying the increase in earth quakes (in OK and elsewhere) are stating that this injection wells are the most likely cause of the increase in earthquakes, with a stated confidence level.

But to follow your logic, what is the 'proof' that fracking is not causing these earth quakes? Can you prove that fracking is safe? (that is a rhetorical question, of course you can't).
There IS a difference here.
I am NOT saying that fracking is "safe" (define "safe"), so I do not have to prove it. I also do not have to prove that the earthquakes are not caused by invisible giants dancing the polka!
I am merely saying this is just another doomsayer article, with insufficient proof, designed to frighten the average citizen.
OK, there have been no earthquakes along that particular fault line for over 150 years. could it be that the underground pressures along the fault have had 150 years to build up, and the fault is now starting to slip? Since "they" have no means of putting strain gauges down there, "they" don't know, so they left themselves an "out": "The earthquakes MIGHT be caused by fracking!". "They" carefully neglected to say "But we can't know for sure."

Old 04-23-2015, 11:32 AM

Have you read any science behind this? It is not based simply on correlation, there is large body of scientific evidence that points to injection wells increasing earthquakes (link). The "they" you keep referring to are a several groups of academic and geological survey scientists that have been studying this for years. However even if this relationship is demonstrated at the 99% confidence level (which would be a extremely high confidence level in the scientific realm), there will be people (and industries) that will claim that there is still a 1% chance that injection wells don't cause earthquakes so therefore we shouldn't address it. It is the same ploy that is used with climate change - 97% of scientists are only 95% confident, therefore it probably isn't true.

Again, I will remind you that there is no 'proof' or absolute certainty in science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There IS a difference here.
I am NOT saying that fracking is "safe" (define "safe"), so I do not have to prove it. I also do not have to prove that the earthquakes are not caused by invisible giants dancing the polka!
I am merely saying this is just another doomsayer article, with insufficient proof, designed to frighten the average citizen.
OK, there have been no earthquakes along that particular fault line for over 150 years. could it be that the underground pressures along the fault have had 150 years to build up, and the fault is now starting to slip? Since "they" have no means of putting strain gauges down there, "they" don't know, so they left themselves an "out": "The earthquakes MIGHT be caused by fracking!". "They" carefully neglected to say "But we can't know for sure."

Old 04-23-2015, 02:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,227,930 times
Quote:
It is the same ploy that is used with climate change - 97% of scientists are only 95% confident, therefore it probably isn't true.

That would not be the claim at all at least by those who know the topic well. Tell us, 97% of what total?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:06 PM

I was being somewhat factious with the numbers. The point being, that even in the face of overwhelming evidence, some will grasp at 1% or 3% or 5% probability and claim 'see they are just guessing, there is no proof". Just like is being done in this thread.

Quote:
That would not be the claim at all at least by those who know the topic well. Tell us, 97% of what total?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 AM

37,610 posts, read 61,699,429 times
Quote:
All though in this specific case, royalties to the mineral rights owner are somewhat irrelevant when the consequences of the drilling are effecting large swaths of the state. I am wondering if the companies profiting from this will ever be held accountable?
To go from 2 earthquakes a year, to nearly 600 of magnitude 3 or greater per year, is a HUGE shift. Huge enough that the cause should be fairly obvious to most people. But I do not think that it will be enough to get law suits through any courtroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living